1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Yep, that's a mess for sure, hopefully it'll be fixed sooner than later. Courage! After that stuff, you'll come back to your project happier:)

Wow... it's amazing what passes inspection. We've got some crazy things in our house too... though hopefully not so damaging. Hope you get your house back up and running soon!

SK-

What a mess! Seems like you're dealing with it in your usual good spirits. Glad to see you posting again -my day always seems a little hollow if I don't see something from you ;)

Nice looking button! Keep the updates coming.

Hey SB,

Thanks... you know, it's one of those situations where "it is what it is". Not much I can do about it about but get it fixed. Thankfully there wasn't anybody hurt (except my pride when the ceiling fell on me) And NO damage to the PC - thats a BIG plus. The desk is ruined but again... "it is what it is"... :)

- - - Updated - - -

If there is one thing you didn't needed right now it's a blowback like this one, sad to see it. Hope you will have the damaged repaired soon!

Hey Kev,

Thanks! The contractors arrive today. I'm guessing 2 weeks before life finally gets back to normal.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! Huge bummer man. Sorry about the leak. Thank goodness the console no longer resides in that room!!

I can't even imagine! I thought the exact same thing. The console and all the panels sit in the back rooms / garage. The office is at the front of the house. If they had been ruined... oh man...

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, that's a mess for sure, hopefully it'll be fixed sooner than later. Courage! After that stuff, you'll come back to your project happier:)

Hey Joe,

My spirits have been pretty good. I'm most afraid of incompetent contractors. Acts of God are one thing (you don't mess with the big guy)... but contractors? I've had my fair share and I know I'll be keeping Jack Daniels in business these next two weeks! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Wow... it's amazing what passes inspection. We've got some crazy things in our house too... though hopefully not so damaging. Hope you get your house back up and running soon!

Hey Y,

Thanks! I'll definately keep "The Gang" aware of any contractor screw ups! I've already cleared space on my hard drive for all the pics! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to hear the bad news SK. Hope it gets dealt with quickly... What a headache :(

Hi C,

Thanks! Me Too! As I mentioned, it should be just a few weeks - depending on the competence level. hmmmm... where's the bottle of Jack?

Hi Gang,

I know most of you are expecting to see pics of our new workspace. Unfortunately, we're still in a holding pattern. The team is still VERY anxious to get started it's just a matter of when... Dan has been working behind the scenes on the new fully functional button pad(s) so there will be lots to show in the coming weeks.

Also, I just chatted with Starkiller and he's sending the canopy measurements in 2D that will allow us to take advantage of the CNC machine! Yup, a new canopy is on the way! And that's a good thing! Anybody want the old pieces? ;)

Finally, I might as well let you guys know (I've tortured you long enough)... we'll be working on building one of the landing gear - pads and all!

Stay Tuned!

Ooh goodie!:D
Newbie here. I've been following this project for a while now, and I'm really excited that y'all now have CNC capabilities. Does this mean that you'll be moving from MDF to something lighter/stronger, like aluminum? Also, is the landing gear intended as another traveling prop, or are you starting to work in the direction of pieces for the big project that will be in TN?

Thanks,
Harvey

Hi Gang,

I know most of you are expecting to see pics of our new workspace. Unfortunately, we're still in a holding pattern. The team is still VERY anxious to get started it's just a matter of when... Dan has been working behind the scenes on the new fully functional button pad(s) so there will be lots to show in the coming weeks.

Also, I just chatted with Starkiller and he's sending the canopy measurements in 2D that will allow us to take advantage of the CNC machine! Yup, a new canopy is on the way! And that's a good thing! Anybody want the old pieces? ;)

Finally, I might as well let you guys know (I've tortured you long enough)... we'll be working on building one of the landing gear - pads and all!

Stay Tuned!

So that's what the super secret project was! I had almost forgotten about that... is the 'gear going to be a display piece, or will it also hold pamphlets?

Ooh goodie!:D
Newbie here. I've been following this project for a while now, and I'm really excited that y'all now have CNC capabilities. Does this mean that you'll be moving from MDF to something lighter/stronger, like aluminum? Also, is the landing gear intended as another traveling prop, or are you starting to work in the direction of pieces for the big project that will be in TN?

Thanks,
Harvey

Hi Harvey,

Welcome to The RPF! :) I'm just as excited as you that we'll soon have access to to a CNC, laser printer, etc... This will make my life SO MUCH easier. We're going to continue using the same materials for the mobile cockpit but when we begin work on the larger project, we'll discuss different materials to use - that's quite a ways off.

The landing gear will be another traveling prop - and it's big! Work has not officially started on the site. I'm hoping that once things get REALLY moving I can convince the "powers that be" to enclose the MF and not have it sitting outdoors in the elements. So... the landing gear might be used afterall.

Stay Tuned!

- - - Updated - - -

So that's what the super secret project was! I had almost forgotten about that... is the 'gear going to be a display piece, or will it also hold pamphlets?

Hey Y,

The Super Secret Project was both the Landing Gear and the Mind Gear Lab / Mythbuster Tour. The Mythbuster's happen to overshadow the landing gear and kick it to the backburner. But now with the potential for the workshop, we'll have LOTS of room to build different elements.

... we'll be working on building one of the landing gear - pads and all!

Do you need a copy of the blueprint for the gear? I came across a set of SW Blueprints at flickr, and one is of the landing gear (up to 5800px x 4024px).

I think those are for ANH - did they change the design between movies? If so, and you do the newer version, that blueprint may be useless to you. In which case I apologize for wasting your time. :$

Good luck with your repairs, I hope everything goes smoothly.

Do you need a copy of the blueprint for the gear? I came across a set of SW Blueprints at flickr, and one is of the landing gear (up to 5800px x 4024px).

I think those are for ANH - did they change the design between movies? If so, and you do the newer version, that blueprint may be useless to you. In which case I apologize for wasting your time. :$

Good luck with your repairs, I hope everything goes smoothly.

Hi S,

Thanks for the great link! I don't think we have those in that high rez. GOOD STUFF! The designers changed the overal length of the cockpit by adding 15" just before the nose. With all the filming required for ESB, the ANH version was just too small. But I think everything else remained the same. I really want to add the cockpit corridor behind the cockpit - that would be awesome!

We're working from Starkiller's 3D model of the landing gear and I think they are fairly accurate. Although... I'll have to pester Steve Starkiller - you know how much of a slacker and imperfectionist he is! ;)

Thanks for the kind words. The repairs are going well. The drywall guys should have everything finished today! Unfortunately, I lost internet access last night... ugh...

SofaKing,

Firstly, outstanding work. :)

Secondly, did you ever do any research on the cockpit guns that we briefly see in ANH right before the tractor beam sequence? It's always perplexed me as to why I can find NO reference material on it. Just curious if you've ever come across anything. :)

Thanks...and keep up the good work.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the kind words! My apologies for not responding sooner. It's been a frustrating couple of weeks but I hope to be back on the build soon...

Cockpit guns? I'm at a loss... Are there screen shots?

Hi Gang,

We're still in a holding pattern until we secure the workspace. Until then, we've been tossing ideas around on how to move forward. The latest idea is making the cockpit full scale. As most of you know I removed 12" from the lower panels in order to fit in the garage. If we add those 12" - we'll have THE full scale cockpit. This would allow us to create the shelves and a new door! And... ugh... new platforms...

I'm just as anxious as you to get started and get updated pics posted! As always... stay tuned! :)

Hi Gang,

Here is a quick SketchUp image of the landing gear we're planning. The figure to the left is approx. 5' 6" so this should give you a pretty good sense of scale :)

MF_landing_gear_01_zps91bad759.jpg

More to Come!

Amazing!!!!
Just asking - are they a little large? Maybe your going by better dims than the set?
I know on the 5ft model they seem to be a bit oversized IMHO. Are you using that as reference?
AA.jpg

EMPIRE_STRIKES_BACK-f.jpg

I made mine oversized like the studio model
c4b1c2b99e16b39233a6dd25e261bb30_zpsd35e0b45.jpg

eb7d5f666164b9380be9955ad7843907_zpsfe78bf72.jpg

Clearly it wouldn't fit in the bay in reality. I think they made it oversized maybe for the visual effect?
20041210.jpg

Either way I can't wait to see it built!!!!

Last edited:
Amazing!!!! Just asking - are they a little large? Maybe your going by better dims than the set? I know on the 5ft model they seem to be a bit oversized IMHO. Are you using that as reference? Either way I can't wait to see it built!!!!

Hi F,

The original full scale MF prop (what we see on screen) was only 80% of the actual size of the MF. Starkiller addressed all these size variations and came up with a full scale 3D model - this is what we're using as reference. From the pic - Chewie is sitting on one of the pads - that's over 4 feet in width. So they are fairly close...

Hope that makes sense. :)

Hi Gang,

Things are slowly moving toward our new home... In the meantime, Dan has been working on more buttons for the center console and Mike (our newest member) has been working on a 3D lens for the panel lights. We decided to continue using the door stopper housing and just create a lens.

Dan has been trying different methods of making resin copies of the buttons - again, these will be fully functional with an LED behind and possibly sound
20140117_214247_zps138594c7.jpg

20140117_214211_zpsd1db473b.jpg

20140117_214204_zpsa321fc23.jpg

20140117_214300_zps4ef66f9b.jpg

Somewhat crude 3D print for the new lens... We might try to laser cut the next lens
20140117_214343_zpsa41dc7dc.jpg

20140117_214148_zpsafc18386.jpg

LOTS More to Come in the Next Few Days! :)

Hi Gang,

Well... when the pipe burst and flooded the office, the water ruined ALL those sketches I did including the escape pods... along with the only paper copies of the LED count I did on each panel... UGH... I just spent the better part of the morning counting all the LEDs and looking at screen grabs of all 3 OT movies to get the correct color pattern.

We've all been chatting and we're going to attempt to back light all the square tiles (yup... those will be popped off)... The grand total of LEDs came to a whopping 1900!

Sample Images
1_zps02d6b3c2.jpg

9_zps27758962.jpg

This panel X2
11_zpsf775c650.jpg

5_zpsbc579902.jpg

Whew... Away We Go!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back