1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

Cool interview Greg! You both did a great job. Wow....6 hour set up huh? Time to establish a set up crew so that you always have help.

Cool interview Greg! You both did a great job. Wow....6 hour set up huh? Time to establish a set up crew so that you always have help.

Thanks! I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

Setup took a little longer than usual because I forgot the canopy screws and we needed to make a Home Depot run... We were also talking to a lot of interested folks during setup so that brought the setup to a crawl at times. Cut that time in half - easy. The more goodies and effects we add... the longer setup will be. And that's a good thing!

Chris and his crew are AWESOME! I couldn't have asked for a better bunch of folks...

You have made some real progress since last time I saw this build. Seems like you are working with the console regularly, and pays off! :)

What am I going to do when it's all done? Mmmhh, let me count the ways: One: give it to me, two: turn off the lights in the garage, close the door, pull out a chair, lit that baby and off you go;) Three: try this line with the Ladies:" would you like to travel the galaxy with me in the cockpit of the Millenium Falcon"?
Works like a charm! Kidding aside, good job on those lights btw and impatient to see that front cockpit done.

You have made some real progress since last time I saw this build. Seems like you are working with the console regularly, and pays off! :)

Hey Kev,

Thanks! That last week before and during GMX took alot out of me. But I'm ready to back to it. I'm once again in a holding pattern. I'm looking into different options for the bar lights and housing. If I'm able to pull it off, then I can move with putting the pit back together.

- - - Updated - - -

What am I going to do when it's all done? Mmmhh, let me count the ways: One: give it to me, two: turn off the lights in the garage, close the door, pull out a chair, lit that baby and off you go;) Three: try this line with the Ladies:" would you like to travel the galaxy with me in the cockpit of the Millenium Falcon"?
Works like a charm! Kidding aside, good job on those lights btw and impatient to see that front cockpit done.

LOL! I am looking forward to the day when I can turn off the lights, hit the main power button and hear / feel the rumble of the engine and the various sounds throughout the ship! :D I have no doubt the ladies will look at me and think how " :cool " I actually am!

Hi,
I'm a new member of this forum, but have been watching this for a while. As an ex-engineer I have to congratulate you sir of a magnificient job.

I registered to be able to suggest a solution to your having to remove all those glass tiles to back light them - DON'T...

Use Fostner bit in a pillar dril, and drill through the MDF from the back. If you set the depth properly it should just leave a very thin disk on the glass that you can clean away easily.

Keep up the great work.

Hi,
I'm a new member of this forum, but have been watching this for a while. As an ex-engineer I have to congratulate you sir of a magnificient job.

I registered to be able to suggest a solution to your having to remove all those glass tiles to back light them - DON'T...

Use Fostner bit in a pillar dril, and drill through the MDF from the back. If you set the depth properly it should just leave a very thin disk on the glass that you can clean away easily.

Keep up the great work.

Hi Burnton,

Welcome to the forum. Considering I had NO IDEA what I was doing when I started - thank you so much for the compliment.

I've approached removing the tiles from every direction to include drilling from the back. While drilling from the back is a solid approach, I'm a little hesitant because I would have to align the bit perfectly. That's a lot of measuring and the different angles of each panel would make it VERY difficult to be that precise. I just dont have the confidence to pull it off.

The compressed air (tuning it upside down and spraying the super glue under the tiles) worked very well and left very little residual adhesive - but again, it's the fear I will do more damage to the panel than anything else. Also, I'm still thinking it through...

Hi Gang,

Work continues...

Painted these knobs silver with a black center
20131116_134245_zps37faab1f.jpg

Added them to Chewie's ESB panel
20131116_134219_zpsa29e663f.jpg

More switches
20131116_134258_zps31c7c2ac.jpg

Added them to the console to match the rest
20131116_135520_zps3a0a8b0e.jpg

20131116_135534_zps151323dc.jpg

I'm sanding the beams and still filling holes. I had the idea to change the lighter color of the beams to the same light grey I used on the quad and the quad base - which would match the exterior skin of the MF when I got around to it.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Looking good!

I'm working on your printable yoke grips today, should have some info for you soon. Take a look at your email, I sent you a possible solution for your nose issue.

Hi Gang,

Another minor update... if that's what we can even call it...

ESB panel bolted in place
20131116_161152_zps98f639e7.jpg

And this is where we are...
20131116_161242_zpsea7dad28.jpg

Its supposed to rain tomorrow... so we'll see what happens

The title of this thread is wrong, I just noticed. This isn't merely a console. It's a whole cockpit.

Hi Gang,

I've been looking at screen grabs and it JUST occurred to me that I painted the beams wrong. I have to use the lighter grey for the "interior" portion of the beams and then introduce the light grey color I used on the quad for the "exterior" portion of the beams (the other side of the plexiglass). Good thing I caught it now before I started adding greeblies...

Hi Gang,

It is pouring down rain... so I thought I would sketch out some concept escape pods... :)

2 person pod
Scan0005a_zps637dfc9f.jpg

1 person
Scan0002_zpsd4482662.jpg

Design based off Ralph MQs Falcon cockpit
Scan0007_zps317beccf.jpg

Different interior ideas
Scan0006_zps75d6be13.jpg

XWing influence
Scan0005_zps2dc825db.jpg

Scan0004_zps6b62bc91.jpg

My favorite
Scan0003_zpsd4bdd1e1.jpg

Rain... go away

I like the interiors of those things, but I'm not feeling the canopy shapes so much...just my personal preference, I'd have the pods as enclosed capsules like the Tantive IV pods, OR have the canopies much closer to the Falcon cockpit. But otherwise I think they're great!

Yep, good sketches for sure, but if it's a pod, you don't want too many windows on when that thing is going to hit the ground...and I don't know how much "control" you'll have on that thing:confused. Like Haystack Hair, I would stick to a simple pod (almost like the ones from the Blockade Runner).
Keep up the good work on the cockpit parts, it's looking mighty great!

On the subject of the canopy... maybe just the front part of the falcon canopy. That way, you still get the shape and some of the canopy, while not also being strong enough to withstand impact.

Hi Gang,

I appreciate the feedback! :)

The idea was more of a 1 or 2 man shuttle than escape pod - thus the landing gear to avoid the impact landing. I'll sketch a few designs with a smaller "escape pod" style window. The escape pod from "Revenge of the Sith" comes to mind.

Rear Hatch
Shadow of Reflection: Movie Screencaps R-S: Click image to close this window

Window

Main

As always... would really enjoy seeing all of your ideas :)

Never take references from Prequel trilogy :p You are going to have a bad time.
Syd mead's designs might help you get inspiration :)

-Angel

Never take references from Prequel trilogy :p You are going to have a bad time.
Syd mead's designs might help you get inspiration :)

-Angel

Agree with ya there. And also are those really RotS screencaps?? The CG has aged pretty badly!!
I might sketch up some designs tonight or tomorrow and see what you think :)

Hi Gang,

I've been taking some MUCH needed time away from the Pit. I've been doing little things here and there but the rest and time away has been nice. I promise I'll get back at it this weekend starting with the color of the beams and the light bar housing.

Stay Tuned!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back