Wolverine Cowl- Comic Style- Foam Build

View attachment 258085View attachment 258086View attachment 258087

Here is a progress report on the cowl. I pulled the yellow down into the brow, did some airbrush work to bring the detail into the brow, and placed a paper towel behind the eyes to mimic the white eyes.

Thoughts....suggestions....comments?

If I don't decide to alter the cowl anymore (other than the chin area...) from my own doing or a good suggestion, then I will get to work on the body suit sometime in the near future when I get my materials in.

Oh! Hell yeah!!! That's it!!! I like it! Nicely done!

Good job on the eyes too! Nice one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Psicorp7, thanks for the tip on the eyes. I will be sure to try those techniques out...the paper towel was a temporary visual aid. :) Thanks for compliments on the airbrush work. This is my second project using an airbrush. I am loving the results.

How the hell did you smooth that out? Especially the seams. I'm in awe man.

The seams looked decent i guess but no where near perfect by any means. I used elmers school glue to seal the foam, modge podge in nonflexing areas, and then used an automotive sandable primer to get it paint ready. The rest is hidden in the magic of a decent paint job i guess. :) Thanks for the compliments. I have better images and angles of the mask that i will post later today.

2013-11-23 21.44.21.jpg2013-11-23 21.44.11.jpg

Here are a couple pictures with better angles.

Man this looks amazing, I was on the fence about building this cowl, but now im really inspired to build it!

im thinking of building this too but im wondering about just building the ears and brow section and attaching to a spandex mask so it matches the rest of my suit. nice job man any advice on airbrushing the muscle shading?

im thinking of building this too but im wondering about just building the ears and brow section and attaching to a spandex mask so it matches the rest of my suit. nice job man any advice on airbrushing the muscle shading?

Thank you. I was already thinking the same as you as far as the suit goes and attaching the face part to the spandex hood. I would have to redo some airbush work but it would probably look better in the long run. I will cross that bridge when i get there i suppose. As far as airbrushing goes, i am as knew as they come, but I have done many fine. art projects with paint brushes in the past. I just look at my reference material, get an idea of the general look I want to go for, and lay down some subtle shading. if i am liking how. every line is looking, I go back and do the shadowing and darker areas on top of my base color. After I had my low lights painted on I went back and added some simple highlights everywhere that there should be a raised or protruding area to give it a little contrast and make everything appear to have that 3d quality. I literally only used 3 colors on the. mask portion of the cowl. base of royal blue, darkened royal blue and royal blue with a touch of white. To achieve the comic sketch look i simply went back in over my airbrush work and added more shadowing. As far as painting. the muscles on the suit goes I plan on using the same technique with the shading and the comic style hard lines. And adding a small muscle suit under the spandex .hope this helps out...

Looking like a great start to me. What are your plans for the chin area and what color scheme are you planning on doing? Where did you get your claws at also?..they look great.

I am planning on running a piece of elastic under the chin. I haven't decided on a color scheme just yet, and the claws are these:Wolverine-Adamantium-Claws_25736-l.jpg that I removed from the base and used a metal coat hanger and a wood dowel to make the handle and they end up like this1463620_10201098601209334_1817845123_n.jpg

Great cowl! I'd be interested to see how the suit turns out. I've wanted to do a wolverine that is at the level of the Batman costumes out there (UD gothamcity) but haven't seen anything that good

I am planning on running a piece of elastic under the chin. I haven't decided on a color scheme just yet, and the claws are these:View attachment 260914 that I removed from the base and used a metal coat hanger and a wood dowel to make the handle and they end up like thisView attachment 260915

PERFECT! I actually looked at those claws on amazon a couple days ago. Great job converting them to the quality look of some of the claws that I have seen for sale in the junkyard. I am sold on them!

PERFECT! I actually looked at those claws on amazon a couple days ago. Great job converting them to the quality look of some of the claws that I have seen for sale in the junkyard. I am sold on them!

If you wanted something more "fun", then I'd certainly recommend DarkSide's claws being sold over in the sales section here...Well worth it since they look so good....

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back