[WIP] Iron Man Mk 6 Foam Build - Now on duct tape dummy

kyxz2

Hello RPF. this would be my very first post!

I've decided to show my Mark 6 progress.

I just hope I can finish it before Halloween. I only get 6 hours a week to work on it!

Please feel free to comment on anything, any comment will surely help!
Ask me anything as well and I'll be glad to answer any questions.

Just don't ask for money. :p

By the way, I'm 5'3 and 150lbs.

Here are the scales that I used.

Chest 25.41% - got the scale by measuring my chest width, 42 cm (includes 2cm allowance)
Back 25.41% - used chest scale
Abs 25.27% - got it by my abs width, 33 cm (includes 2cm allowance)
Shoulders 23.42% - this one is trial and error
Biceps, Forearms - I used the same scale as the shoulders
Thigh - 21.57% - this one gave me a headache. First, I got a scale of 20.578% by using the height of my thighs (37cm including 2cm allowance, width automatically adjusted to 16.8cm), I tried wearing it using a paper test but man, it only goes through half of my thighs, so what I did was to use the width instead, 17.7cm (including 2 cm allowance) and got the scale.
Shin - used the same scale as the thighs

Last edited:
Re: Iron Man Mk 6 Foam Build - WIP

Materials I used:
  • 6mm foam rubber sheet (the type that they use for flip flops e.g. Havaianas) (For my fellow Filipinos, I bought it at E. Estanislao General Merchandise in Marikina City)
  • GRECO 88 turboglue (From the same store)
  • cutter
  • cutting board
  • a pair of scissors
  • a red marker and a blue sign pen
  • card stock for pattern
  • masking tape for tape test

All less than $15! Just make sure you know how to canvas and you will surely get the lowest price!

The patter I used can be found here:

http://www.therpf.com/f24/robo3687-iron-man-mark-4-6-pepakura-128147/

Before I start posting pics of my progress, I would like to thank all forum members here. I make sure I read any thread even if it's not about Iron Man. I get tips from them as well.

I've watched Stealth's videos on Youtube, xRobots, and, well, there are a lot of people on youtube that teaches you foam building, even if it's not related to costume making, watch it, I promise you will still learn something!

So I started with the helmet.

AxytKA7CAAAA6H-.jpg:large

Axyvl54CAAIgA0M.jpg:large

AxzzEERCQAAxc6y.jpg:large

As you can see, my gluing powers suck big time!
The super glue I used burns a lot of foam.
And it smells bad!

A friend of mine who's taking fine arts told me a technique.
Just put pea size instead of putting glue on the whole side.

Make sure you don't inhale the fumes. It will make you high! Trust me! My fiance got mad and thought I was taking drugs because I was laughing like joker and flying like Iron Man.

Can you guys see my cutter on the 2nd pic? I had a problem with that, the blade is only about 2-3mm and my foam is 6mm. At first I had problems with it but I did found a technique. You need to have steady hands. What I do is to cut it a quarter of the way first, like outlining or redrawing your pattern lines, and then going back and pushing it all the way.

Now you have to make sure you have muscle memory and steady hands, because if you don't you will see like a staircase cut on the side of your foam.

Re: Iron Man Mk 6 Foam Build - WIP [PIC Heavy]

More Pics
Sorry for the topless pics, it was too hot!

16021-img-0915.jpg

16022-img-0916.jpg

16032-img-0927.jpg

The white line on the forehead was caused by too much super glue.
I still need a heat gun to shape the faceplate.

Well done, you've taken the plunge.
It can be daunting putting your first projects out there but there are a lot of other inexperienced people that can relate to your progress better than many of the polished WIP's that we read. A lot of the more seasoned people take for granted steps that newbies are still trying to grasp.
It is good to have a broad cross section.
thanks for posting and keep up the good work

Paul T

Thanks PBT! We should never forget the basic steps of prop/costume making.

So I lost my photo with the ears. As soon as I find it, I'll post it.

Here's another pic of the cranium with jaw.

16030-img-0920.jpg

By the way, I used a scale of 0.915744 for the helm.

I stopped working with my help because I'm undecided if I will glue the faceplate then cut it after sealing/bondo or shape it, seal/bondo it separately.

I was also undecided If I was going to put hinges on the jaw.

My final decision? Glue everything together seal/bondo then cut it with I don't know what tool. I've read of dremel tools but it's too expensive. I'm thinking of having it cut by someone who has the tools.

So my fellow filipinos, if you can read this, may I borrow your cutting tools after I seal/bondo/sand my helm? :p

alright, so while I was thinking of what to do with the helm, I decided to do the chest piece next.

And so I started to print the pattern, cut the foam and glue everything together.

16033-img-1031.jpg

16034-img-1050.jpg

16035-img-1055.jpg

I forgot what scale I used here, it's about 23.xx, it's in my desktop at home, I'll post it once I get it.

So the problem with my super glue was it uses a rubber tubing that also melts if the glue stays longer in it.

After gluing the first part of the ribs, I decided to take a break first and I accidentally fell asleep. When I woke up, I had to say goodbye to my glue tube. Sucks to be me!

After doing the chest piece, we had a strong monsoon that caused flood that almost removed the Philippines from the map. I had to stop working first to take care of damages.

After the flood, I had a week vacation in Singapore. :) I love it there, I love the food and everything!

So after I came back here in the Philippines last week, I've learned that the shop where I bought the glue tube got flooded. I wasn't able to buy glue tube yet. But I started the shoulder with the help of my mom. Unfortunately the scale was too small so we need to start over again. But then I decided to start with the biceps instead so I won't get bored in making the costume.

Tape Test

*LB means left bicep

16036-img-1256.jpg

16037-img-1257.jpg

16038-img-1258.jpg

16039-img-1259.jpg

16040-img-1261.jpg

16041-img-1263.jpg

I'm not sure if it's too big or not, but on the upper elbow part, it will fit almost snugly since i'm using 6mm foam.

As you guys can see, I love bathroom pics.

Here's another pic with the new shoulder.

16042-img-1264.jpg

16043-img-1265.jpg

16044-img-1268.jpg

16045-img-1269.jpg

I've already cut the foam for the biceps. I'll buy glue tomorrow and once I have the biceps glued altogether, I'll post the pic on Friday.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back