Thor - Avengers, budget foam armour

Dynofiend

Hi Guys,

My second costume ever, and this time a build for a friend who is accompanying me (as Iron Man) to an event in February 2013.

Credit to October and Rule for the jpg of the chest armour which I found in the very useful thread of JoshMosh on here.

October and Rules Cosplay Blog: Photo

First step was to scale the chest armour and print it out on paper. I taped the pieces together, cut out the various pieces, and transferred them to some 7mm EVA foam.

With reference to the real armour I glued it together in a 3D sort of way.

For the round buttons, I bought a large 8" diameter plastic 'ball and chain' (think medieval prisoner) and used a series of holesaws with my drill to drill out discs of the right size. The bonus being that the discs are pre-textured to resemble cast metal.

The greaves (im not making boots!) and vambrace were just free-handed (badly).

I used a soldering iron to draw on some detail to the vambrace and chest piece also.

Total build cost of what you see here is $15 and two evenings time.

I have also attached a copy of the image I used here. I take no credit for this at all. Entirely the work of October and Rule, it is however freely available on the internet with no requests not to share, no protection and no copyright claims etc

tumblr_m932xeJSU01re0ktno1_r1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Seriously loving the time and cost factors here - you did a great job and I can't wait to see the whole costume!

Hi again,

Well a not very productive weekend as im training for an adventure race at the moment, and the runs take up pretty much an entire day! All I managed to achieve was coating the previously constructed pieces with 3 layers of PVA glue, so no interesting progress pics!

However, today I printed off the excellent Mjölnir plans by ScannerJoe, which are not only very well made, but also in colour! I took them home, cut them out and transferred them to the last of my 7mm foam. A hot glue stick later, and with a slightly spinning head from soldering iron fumes, and I ended up with this. Still to be painted, but I think it looks great. The handle is just a foam 'tube' I glued up with the colour paper wrapped around it. The head is filled with foam off cuts to give it some strength. The details are burned in with a soldering iron and it looks pretty good even unpainted.

The event we're going to can be pretty funny about pokey sticks and faux weapons hence the 100% foam construction, otherwise Id bung a strengthener in the handle. I still might conceal a bit of bamboo up there, no-one will ever know ;)

EDIT: I relented and stuck some bamboo into the handle. Its much more fun to bash people with now. I also forgot to mention that this hammer has cost $0 so far!

Last edited:
Foam work is done! Actually it was done on Wednesday last week but I just hadnt got round to taking pictures. Its a bit rough and ready, but that was the idea really. I also painted up Mjolnir, but I took it to work to smite people with and left it there over the weekend. Ill get pics of it soon.

Paint was layered using a dark blue and gunmetal grey. Then over the gunmetal I drybrushed a lighter silver colour. Once that was done another very light dry brush of black gave it another layer of depth. Finally the black details including the previously soldered lines were also painted with black. I used a sharpie to draw the lines on the discs. Im not going to attempt to write norse phrases around them!

Just the cape and wraps for underneath the vambrace and im done.

Its a bit rough and ready, but that was the idea really.

Hey, for the time you have to get this done in, you can be proud of how it's turning out! Also, it's got a 'I am Thor and I have fought legions in this armor!' look to it. :D

I used a sharpie on my Eomer armor too. *hehe*

Looking forward to seeing you in the thing!

Thanks dude. Finally got round to taking some pics. Please excuse the jeanshorts. Its summer here and im making the most of every bit of sun we get! Please also excuse the 20kg of muscle that's missing. The outfit isnt for me, but for a much more appropriately sized friend! The cape is deliberately short. My friend is a good 6 inches shorter than me, and we didnt want it too near to the ground where it could be trodden on in queues, or dragged along the ground too much.

Thanks Peerino, very kind of you to say so! I also just giggled when I noticed both my cat, and the neighbours cat, have made it into the pictures. See if you can spot them haha!

Thanks mate :)

I also should mention that ive since 'styled' the wig using hot water and wax, so that its less curly and more 'greasy' like Thors appears in the movies.

Haha too true, Thor in a hot climate would undoubtably be rocking the jeanshorts!

Thank you for the kind comments also.

The outfit will be making a debut at a childrens Christmas party tomorrow, hopefully the little ones like it!

Thought I would post up a picture from the event this went to, with its intended wearer as the mannequin.

He added the sunglasses (it was a hot sunny day) and the leather headband (to keep the wig from getting in his mouth) and also wore jeanshorts. He did have proper trousers but the day was too hot to be comfortable so opted for shorts :D

A note to other Thor builders on the cape. I used cheap spandex to make the cape, and it was a revelation. The weight of the material made the cape flow in such an awesome way when walking, and it looked spectacular in the wind. Thoroughly recommended!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back