Sebastian Shaw / Magneto Helmet: X-Men First Class

ArmorZero

Hi everyone. I have been a prop and armor maker for over 10 years now and been lurking on the RPF since around 2005. I have never posted here, but I have followed many of your posts and projects over the years and finally felt inspired to post something of my own; hopefully with more to follow as I document some of my past projects.

Sebastian Shaw Helmet: 6/16/12 – 8/26/12

Starting off, I made a frame of how big I wanted the helmet to be. To get the sizing, I was literally holding a pair of bow calipers to my head to get the measurements.
scaled.php

Filled in with Lowe’s insulation foam to fill it in. I prefer using Lowe’s blue foam as opposed to Home Depot pink foam because I find it’s slightly denser and better to carve. Basic shape drawn on for reference.
scaled.php

Rough cutout started using a fully extended box cutter.
scaled.php

Using screen captures from the movie, I got the face traced and roughly cut out.
scaled.php

Finally mounted the piece to a dowel so it would stay upright and ready for resin.
scaled.php

First coat of resin. I’m using Smooth Cast 300 with SoStrong grety tint.
scaled.php

Adding more coats of resin. All applied using chip brushes.
scaled.php

Resin is cured. Ready for sanding and Bondo.
scaled.php

Using some older Bondo I’ve had sitting around for a while. Filling in the 1” gaps around the sides and back. This was before I knew about Bondo Gold. Now I’ll never go back…
scaled.php

First time sanding I realized how thin my coat of resin was. I kept sanding through to the foam, which would require me to cut out a chunk, fill it with Bondo, then sand smooth again. This continued through the entire project…
scaled.php

Adding some extra mass to make it easier to sand without hitting foam.

scaled.php

Sandable primer applied. It’s a dark picture, so it looks smoother than it is.
scaled.php

Sandable primer is ... sanded.
scaled.php

Using the touch-test, I can feel some dents that need filling.
scaled.php

Switched to mass-building primer since it seems not to gum up my sandpaper as bad.
scaled.php

Adding some reference lines, I realized one side was lower than the other. At least I have Bondo Gold now!
scaled.php

Top of the helmet is finally even, I start using poster board cutouts to do mockups of the raised trim.
scaled.php

Doing another check with my reference pictures, I realized the “jaw” of the helmet was way too wide and needed to be ground down quite a bit to make it thinner at the bottom. Notice the difference between the above and below pics.
scaled.php

I used .1” styrene sheeting for the trim around the helmet. I then used a combination of Bondo and Glazing Spot Putty to fill in the gaps between the helmet and the trim before giving another coat of mass-building primer.
scaled.php

Side shot.
scaled.php

Side shot after sanding.
scaled.php

Switching back to sandable primer now that I’m moving up to some higher grit sandpaper.
scaled.php

Polished with fine steel wool.
scaled.php

Starting to see a bit of a glint, but not quite smooth enough.
scaled.php

Polished with automotive paste wax to help fill in some of the sanding swirls. I’m saving the wetsanding for the actual castings. It’s ready to mold!
scaled.php

Forgot to take a pic of the first two coats of Silicone… I’m using Rebound 25 as my mold medium. First two coats were applied with a chip brush. Here it’s running a bit since I’m applying more liberally now for the 3rd coat. This will be a 1-part glove mold.
scaled.php

scaled.php

4th coat. I’m using Thi-Vex II to thicken the silicone. Now being applied with a popsicle stick.
scaled.php

Even thicker coat.
scaled.php

Adding registration keys made from an ice-cube tray.
scaled.php

I am using Luan to create my 4-part dividing boards.
scaled.php

Luan applied, screwed together, and hotglued to the silicone to keep my jacket from sticking to itself. I went with a 4-part mold jacket since the shape of the helmet would create too much travel across the keys and the surface to easily get off. I’ll spare you the gruesome details of my first failed mold jacket I made for this…
scaled.php

Applying first coats of Plasti-Paste.
scaled.php

Since Plasti-Paste gets a bit sharp, I brushed on some isopropyl alcohol to help smooth out the finish.
scaled.php

Next quadrant.
scaled.php

Jacket cured, mold pealed back, reset and pulled the first casting! I used Onyx and brushed the inside of the mold with aluminum powder before slushing. This is a pic of the helmet before starting any post-production work.
scaled.php

Wetsanding lightly with 1000 grit.
scaled.php

Continued wetsanding with 2000 then 3000 grit and it was ready to tape off the trim and paint! I used Bulldog Adhesion Promoter before applying the actual paint. This is one of my favorite pics just because of how the aluminum looks…
scaled.php

Waited a few minutes after 3 coats of Bulldog and applied 3 coats of DupliColor automotive paint, then 3 coats of DupliColor clearcoat. Unfortunately, I don’t have an HPLV gun, so I had to go the rattlecan route…
scaled.php

I went ahead and pulled a few more helmets to attempt a few different techniques for different finishes.
scaled.php

The master in back. The painted and clearcoated on the left with the exposed coldcast aluminum. Fully covered in Rub ‘n Buff in the middle, then fully covered in paint on the right before doing Rub ‘n Buff on the trim only.
scaled.php

I ended up wearing the one on the far right at Dragon*Con this year. I liked the brightness of the Rub ‘n Buff trim as opposed to the cold cast version. This pic was taken at the GA Aquarium.
scaled.php

Picture by Eurobeat Kasumi
scaled.php

Thanks for reading!
Bill

Clearly I need to stay current on films...

When I saw Sebastian Shaw I immediately thought "The guy that played Anakin in ROTJ was in X-Men? How is that possible?"

:lol

This is an awesome build! Looks great and I like that you didn't go the traditional sculpting route with clay. I'll have to give this method a try sometime. Turned out very nicely!

I got to see this (and wear it! *squee*) in person and I have to say it's incredibly sexy and well formed. the geometry in person is very true to form, more-so compared to the movie prop worn by Bacon IMO.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back