Redtogusa's Amazing Spiderman Build. McL34Ns pattern. (update 16/10/12, 99% done!)

Redtogusa

Hey guys,
Thought it was about time I stuck up a WIP on my ASM costume. Some weeks ago I was the lucky winner of McL34Ns printed prototype pattern and have been working away at completing it ever since.
His work is truely excellent and the attention to detail is just outstanding.

Much the same as McL34N I've been busy with the honey combing and webbing. Unfortunately my freehand work is no where near as good as his, partly because I lack patience and a steady hand and partly because I'm trying to do it on an already sewn together costume.
So it's tough but still lots of fun seeing it coming together. Plus it's given me a new found respect for McL34Ns work, it can be mind numbing at times, kudos brother. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Anyways onto the pics, like I said it's nothing near as good as McL34Ns.

This is what it looked like before (pic shamefully stolen from McL34Ns thread):

CIMG6905.jpg

and now:

IMG_2874.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

Got one glove complete too and started work on the chest today:
IMG_2882.jpg

Atm I'm just looking to complete the red sections with the honey comb. I've got a deadline to meet for I party I'm going to but I will no doubr move onto the blue sections afterward.

I've also got some web shooters in the works, will post pics of them soon.

So what do you guys think? Comments, critique most welcome. Also sorry for the wall of text.

Cheers,
-Red.

Last edited:
Re: Redtogusas Amazing Spiderman Costume using McL34Ns pattern.

Kudos to you dude!

Its coming along very nicely! The mask looks fantastic!

I think that looks great. What did his pattern set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for all the nice comments guys, glad you like.

Looking good bro, keep at it! What are you using to do the webbing?

The webbing is done using a puff paint, same as the honey comb. I'm using a Dylon 3D paint. I think McL34N uses a brand called Tulip Puffy paint.

I think that looks great. What did his pattern set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

Well I won it on an EBay auction, think I got a really good deal because of the way the bidding went. I'd imagine they'd go for a fair bit more on the Junkyard.

Looks amazing man. I'm getting a pattern from TaylorMcManus soon, and will be using the same process as you and Mcl34n have with the puff paint. Did you create a custom applicator tip like McL34n did?

Did you create a custom applicator tip like McL34n did?

Thanks man. No I didn't make a custom tip, just straight on. The tips they come with are pretty fine already and once you figure out the right amount of pressure to apply you can get a nice thin line going.
My advice would be to practice practice practice. Getting a nice steady line that isn't blobby can be tough but you get the feel for it after a while. At the begining I was getting really fustrated and it was taking forever, I was ready to give up but soon after I got in a groove and it started coming together.
Good luck with your build mate.

IMG_2884.jpg

Really good job man! I just want to ask something because i can't understand it. The black paint goes over the lines on the suit, but how are you making the honeycomb effect?

Thanks man. No I didn't make a custom tip, just straight on. The tips they come with are pretty fine already and once you figure out the right amount of pressure to apply you can get a nice thin line going.
My advice would be to practice practice practice. Getting a nice steady line that isn't blobby can be tough but you get the feel for it after a while. At the begining I was getting really fustrated and it was taking forever, I was ready to give up but soon after I got in a groove and it started coming together.
Good luck with your build mate.

IMG_2884.jpg

I tried to use tulip 3D puff paint too but as you can see in my own topic : http://www.therpf.com/f24/wip-amazing-spiderman-130815/ I didn't practice enough ^^"

Great job and another inspiring work :D

how are you making the honeycomb effect?

Not sure if it's what you mean but McL34N already has the honey comb pattern printed on the costume then you paint over it with the red puff paint, using it as a guide.

I tried to use tulip 3D puff paint too but as you can see in my own topic : http://www.therpf.com/f24/wip-amazing-spiderman-130815/ I didn't practice enough ^^"

Great job and another inspiring work :D

I dunno mate, the pics of it on you in post 21 look pretty good. Plus you can always go over it again. Just cover any mistakes, blobs etc with slightly thicker lines.

Not sure if it's what you mean but McL34N already has the honey comb pattern printed on the costume then you paint over it with the red puff paint, using it as a guide.

Yes, that's what I mean. So, you painted the honeycomb part with the paint. Nice! Thanks man and good luck with the rest of the suit!

SWEET! Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to mess around with a couple of different application ideas I've got running in my head. Namely, I was thinking of using a syringe, and maybe trying to make a small caulk gun type device. But I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. I'll give practice a try first before I go off trying to make something like that ;P

Looks great! And stressful.
Are you going to be going over the honeycomb in the blue sections?
Facepalm. Looks really hard.

Awesome work so far.I plan to have mine finished by October 14th and will be viewing this thread closely for advice.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back