My name is Danielle, and I'm a costume-holic.
Well, I imagine that's how the start of "meetings" would go..if we had any!
Anyway, I've only been involved in the costuming community since August; when I went to Fanexpo dressed in green BDU's from Battlestar Galactica. I was swept up in the awesomeness. Since then I've been seeing what new bigger, badder and greater costumes interest me that I can do.
That being said, every October me and a gaggle of people decide what theme we're going to go with. My sister came up with the Avengers (like that's original) but I agreed. We were assigned people based on our attitudes and social standing in the group.
I got Iron Man.
Or, in my case, Iron Woman.
I've been reading like crazy all the inputs, opinions, and different ways to make this costume. I could spend days going through the threads. Ultimately I decided to work with two mediums: foam for the arms (and possibly legs) and fiberglass for the body, helmet and shoulders.
Pepping the files took 3 tries--first reduced by 10 percent, then 15 percent, and ultimately I am somewhere around 12 percent LoL!
The foam went well. I used Stealth's files (thanks man) along with his painting process of Plastidip, adhesion promoter, automotive paint (with a coating of vinyl paint) and sealing it with an Acrylic Laquer. Ultimatly the foam has six layers of paint on it, not counting the Plastidip or finishing. 4 layers of Paint, one layer of Vinyl paint and one layer of metallic speckle paint. I also used EVA foam and found it nice to work with. It didn't crack and it holds well under pressure.
The fiberglass stage went well, too. I love pepping. LOVE IT. I don't even mind fiberglassing. But bondo??! OMG.
The shoulder and neck piece is what I call "battle damaged" with small imperfections. Even with the Mouse sander, that was a pain in the you know what.
So I ordered Evercoat Rage and it came today. I'll be sanding the fiberglass a little more before applying it and going as slow as I can.
The painting of the resin'ed piece was pretty much the same, except one less layer of paint and no plasti-dip.
Below find some photos. I know it's not perfect, but man I am having a great time making it and I am pretty comfortable knowing the end result will look good as I practice, practice, practice and take lots of advice and critique. Costuming is a hobby, but it's also an experience.
I also posted some other photos of the costumes I had--me as a Viper pilot, me as Lady Two-Face and me as a Jedi (with the Rebel Legion.)
Thanks guys!! Now to enjoy a cool drink and sand my brace piece.
http://duatdesigns.com/extras/2012-0...-20-31_924.jpg (foam arm, unpainted)
http://duatdesigns.com/extras/2012-0...-18-57_187.jpg (foam arm, with light source)
http://duatdesigns.com/extras/2012-0...-36-55_615.jpg (seeing if the scale works with the pepped shoulder bell)
http://duatdesigns.com/extras/2012-0...7-23-29_65.jpg (painted foam arm with repulsor)
http://duatdesigns.com/extras/2012-0...-23-52_373.jpg (outside of painted foam arm)
http://duatdesigns.com/extras/2012-0...-00-24_305.jpg Stark Industries (workstation)
http://duatdesigns.com/extras/IMG_7545.JPG (neck piece and first attempt at bondo / fiberglass = the mantle pieces with authentic battleworn look! lol!)
http://duatdesigns.com/extras/IMG_7546.JPG The arm piece, without me wearing it.
http://duatdesigns.com/extras/428414...19223788_n.jpg (Me as a Jedi)
http://duatdesigns.com/extras/473118...99780527_o.jpg (me as Lady Two Face with custom suit)
(another Two Face shot)
(Me as a Viper Jock with custom flightsuit from BSG--Screen accurate WIP)