My Mk. 42 build, new STL files for upper arm section

Abb eliten

Current build starts at pg.2

Ah, the heck with it! I might as well write suit instead of altering the title all the time

For those interested in printing their own pieces (for personal use!!)

hand.PNG
Fingers: IMFingersbyAbb_eliten.zip

plates.PNG
Cover plates for the glove (needs update, not good enough): Mk.42_Cover_plates.zip

Forearm armor: Mk.42_Forearm_Armor_by_ A...eliten.zip

bicepexploded.PNG
Upper arm (with pre-made support): Mk.42_upper_arm_by_Abb_eliten.zip
Unsplit parts: Upper_arm_raw_Abb_eliten.zip

elbow.PNG
Elbow Cover: Elbow_cover_by_Abb_eliten.stl

I don't claim movie accuracy on these files. That said, I've done my best to get them as close as possible.

Last edited:
Re: First replica build: Iron Man Helmet

Great work, very tidy. You making the whole suit afterwards?
You mentioned Shapeways.... whats that?

Nice start there. I'm about to build the same helmet for my son.
Thanks!
Talk about a lucky kid :D

Great work, very tidy. You making the whole suit afterwards?
You mentioned Shapeways.... whats that?
Thank you!
Well, I'm gonna start with the helmet and then we'll see where it goes...
I know stuff like this is massively addictive though :)
It would be cool to have an Extremis glove for the IM3 premiere...
You see?! It has already begun!

Shapeways is a site where you can upload your 3D models and then order 3D-printed copies of them. Quite convenient, but expensive.

Nice start there. I'm about to build the same helmet for my son.
Oh hey, friend. Didn't realize you were on here!

Helmet is looking great! If you don't mind me asking, how much did each of those ear pieces run you? I've used shapeways before but never for anything that big, only some prototype pieces for a sonic screwdriver that I botched the electronics on :unsure

Helmet is looking great! If you don't mind me asking, how much did each of those ear pieces run you? I've used shapeways before but never for anything that big, only some prototype pieces for a sonic screwdriver that I botched the electronics on :unsure
Thanks!
These were about $9 a piece, but they only have a thickness of 0.8mm to minimize the costs.
I will reinforce them with polyurethane resin on the inside before attaching them to the helmet.

How easy was the separation after using the foil between the pieces?

Thank you for the compliments! ^^

20121110_001.jpg

The ear pieces have been filled with resin.
Now they're actually possible to touch without flexing them out of control :)

20121112_001.jpg

I also installed the jaw hinges so I can start working on getting a nice join between it and the crown

How easy was the separation after using the foil between the pieces?
I had to do a bit of grinding on the inside as the resin flows over the seams, but once I got down to the actual paper it separated quite nicely.

Detail sharpness, Symmetry, and Fittings looks really GREAT...:):thumbsup

Nice work man... keep building :thumbsup

Cheers!

Wow - looking great.

Can you share which epoxy resin you used on the outside after the pep work was complete?

Also, it looks as though you did not use any fiberglass on the inside, only the task 2 - how is the strength?? How much task 2 did you use? How many coats?

I appreciate it. I have been having a hard time with the resin/fiberglass part of my helmet and you made this look really easy!!

Looks absolutely amazing! How did you get your creases so sharp?
Thanks!
I used a hobby knife to cut the paper half-way through where the fold lines are, making it easier to fold at the right places.

Detail sharpness, Symmetry, and Fittings looks really GREAT...:):thumbsup

Nice work man... keep building :thumbsup

Cheers!
Thanks man! ^^
Your amazing work is one of the things that got me started, and keeps me going.

Actually, the more I work on it, the more imperfections i notice :rolleyes

Wow - looking great.

Can you share which epoxy resin you used on the outside after the pep work was complete?

Also, it looks as though you did not use any fiberglass on the inside, only the task 2 - how is the strength?? How much task 2 did you use? How many coats?

I appreciate it. I have been having a hard time with the resin/fiberglass part of my helmet and you made this look really easy!!
Thx! :)

I got it from a local store selling cheap car accessories. I guess it would have been the same using regular polyester resin, but since I already had it I went with it instead.

Yes, the helmet is made completely of Task 2, and the strength is surprisingly high.
I was a bit worried the crown would warp badly when I cut of the back part, but it's still sturdy and when the jaw is attached it stabilizes it even more.
I used one of their trial kits, and it's about spot on what's needed for casting a helmet.
Around 5-6 coats or something like that

The main reason I went with PU resin is that I too dread the fiberglassing/resin part.
So far, I'm very happy with how all has worked out :)

Last edited:

Sorry for lack of updates.
I currently don't have access to my helmet or my tools, so i won't be able to post any progress.
That said, I've started to pep one of Zabana's hand files.
The palm piece came together easier than I expected it to, but the fingers were a bit trickier.
Hopefully I will soon have access to a 3d printer at my school, so i figured I should put my CATIA knowledge to the test and model my own set of fingers :)

Using screen caps from this video clip I've come up with this so far.
Still a lot of fine tuning to do, but I think I've got the main structure pretty right. Feedback is welcomed :)

Re: First replica build: Iron Man Helmet (+ gloves/fingers)

Added the right lengths of the pieces, and some work on the joint panels.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back