Hey everyone, I thought I would post my experiences with using foam, how it turned out, and also thank those who made this costume work.
First, thanks to darkside and those who unfolded the pdo files, as without them, all would have been lost to make this project. His thread is located here
Second, would be stealth for his tutorials for foam costume building. The information he provides in them is really the way to go, and gave great direction on different ways of doing the same thing, which helped budget wise. Those are found here
Third, my friend who gave me the drive to get this completed in time for the premiere.
Lastly, my wife who I would not have been able to make this happen without her support and love. She really made it possible for me to have the time, the ability of building it in the house, and understanding when it was taking longer then hoped.
Well enough of those, first, I used both fomies(about 6cm) which I found through amazon, and fatigue interlocking floor mats(about 8cm) which I got at home depot. I also used parachute buckles, strapping, chicago screws, and industrial strength velcro for attaching everything.
I used the pepakura to get templates to lay out on the foam, and then get the foam pieces. I found it easiest to lay them out together so I could save a bit more money by not wasting a bunch of foam. I used pins to hold them in place, and then got to cutting.
From there, I just tossed the scraps wherever, it was not worth he clean up until after I was done.
I used hot glue to put it all together, and then used it as reinforcement on the inside as well based on stealth's tutorial.
It ended up looking like this before paint and strap work was done.
I coated all the foam in wood glue to seal it, which I probably needed a few more coast, but was on a huge time crunch. Painting worked very well, I strung the pieces up on rope and painted them that way, did all the tape off, and different colors. It ended up very nice, and looked like this.
My friend who helped is the guy in the suit, he was my shield agent and ran interference for me during the night which was very helpful as in an hour, I must have stood in 50ish pictures.
Here is one with my wife in the theater, as I walked in the entire theater erupted in a cheer; it was a great night. I was very well received and we had a great time.
I will have to make a few changes to the strap work as not all of it worked for the whole night, and after wearing it I now have some new ideas to make it work better then it did. I was quite surprised with the suit itself as I had previously made one from fiberglass using robo's mark VI files, which are great, but the glass was very uncomfortable. I wore the suit through the whole movie and could have kept going fro several more hours. I recommend this for everyone as it is a very nice, simple, and less expensive way to make a great suit.