Ironman Mark IV lifesize Statue and Costume

Tripleasg

I want to share a project that I'm working on. My friend and I are sculpting and constructing 2 Ironman life-size statues and 1 replica costume. We are going to do them in Styrofoam and then "hardcoat" them.

It should be a challenging but rewarding project.
I'm using the Kotobukiya IRON MAN MOVIE MARK IV ARTFX STATUE as our reference model.

We started the sculpting process Saturday. It was a great start! I wanted to ask some questions about the size. For the costume, I'm making it fit a 6'ft person, but for the statues I think they should be bigger. Is 6'5" big enough and is 7ft too big? (Plus the base) This is the figure alone.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

The core of the statue will be made of 2lb styrofoam. The hard coat will be strong and smooth like fiberglass after it's sanded and painted. I take more pics and post them tomorrow. I think I'm going to go with an 8" base and 6'6" statue. any thoughts?

Attachments

• 117_1020.JPG
    117_1020.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 298
So, I thought I gave my whole build on here?
I must have posted it on the hijacked page?!
I'll be brief but this was my build...

I'm not great at typing. I kind of hate it.
but here is my short build story.
There is a discount movie theater close to me that has some great movie display items.
i called them and asked them if they wanted an Ironman. I purchased the 12" statue and got to carving.
I tried to get it as close to the statue as possible but the dimensions were way off. His legs are not humanly possible!
the core of each of the molds is made of foam.

The covering on it is hardcoat, and magic sculpt.
I've got more pics on my laptop at home than on my phone and my work pc but I'll post what I have.

BTW: I am grateful for all of the help and reference material I found here on the RPF. You guys are so generous with your time and research.

Last edited:
We ended up canceling the statue thing. And focused on the individual molds for making a costume.

We knew that the movie the avengers was coming up. So we wanted to try and get the suit ready for the premiere of that movie.

I did not sculpt the helmet. I bought it on eBay. I have been told that it is a Finhead helmet. But I have not researched it like I probably should. I see here on the boards that Finhead does some great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG00114-20120502-2043.jpg
I originally did the abs and lower back out of foam. It worked ok, but didn't last and it made me look fat.
I'm not a fan of fat ironman!

As the opening night drew close I realized I'd never finished the shoulders!!!
So we used a glass bowl from the kitchen! Version 1 was ok but needed to be reworked!
ironman 5.jpeg ironman 8.jpeg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back