Iron Man Paint colors w/examples

reezer

I'm getting close to the painting stage of my Mark VI and I was doing some research for the paint colors that people have used. I couldn't really find an all in one thread with examples. I like having info on this site so I'm asking people to post pictures of their Iron Man armor along with the color names. With all the Iron man builds that are going on right now, it would be great for us noobs to see the names of the colors with examples. Also, if you can remember, where you might have purchased them.

The standard colors for the traditional red and gold that most people use on here is duplicolor dark cherry metallic and duplicolor Sunburst gold metallic.

But as always there is variation I've seen others use cherry red from krylon and a ton of other reds and golds.

The standard colors for the traditional red and gold that most people use on here is duplicolor dark cherry metallic and duplicolor Sunburst gold metallic.

But as always there is variation I've seen others use cherry red from krylon and a ton of other reds and golds.

Thanks for the info. Maybe someone will post pics of those colors on a finshed project, in this thread.

I used the same colors dabiddabird mentioned - Dupli-color Dark Cherry Metallic (RED) and Sunburst Gold Metallic (Gold). Some of the pieces of this arm assembly is foam and some is hardened fiberglass and bondo... so you can see what it looks like on several surfaces.
5872234737_6e005afaf5.jpg

In bright sunlight the colors looks like this...
6292234092_2698024e8f.jpg

And this is what they look like at twilight...
6302138477_8e80ba5207.jpg

**Note the 'metallic' in the paint still shows up very shinny even in low-light. :):thumbsup

2009 Dodge Inferno Red weathered with chestnut brown acrylic ink, lacquer gold layered washes of sepia, sienna and burnt umber Golden acrylics. Semi gloss PPG omni clear.

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

For my Mark 42 glove, I used Champagne Pearl Metallic and Inferno Red Metallic. I bought them at an Autozone, but they can also be found at an O'Reily's Autoparts store

I used the same colors dabiddabird mentioned - Dupli-color Dark Cherry Metallic (RED) and Sunburst Gold Metallic (Gold). Some of the pieces of this arm assembly is foam and some is hardened fiberglass and bondo... so you can see what it looks like on several surfaces.
5872234737_6e005afaf5.jpg

In bright sunlight the colors looks like this...
6292234092_2698024e8f.jpg

And this is what they look like at twilight...
6302138477_8e80ba5207.jpg

**Note the 'metallic' in the paint still shows up very shinny even in low-light. :):thumbsup
How did you paint this? Did you paint the pieces that were both gold and red prior to attaching them together? Or did you attach all the foam pieces and blocked off certain areas to paint red and gold?

This is a repaint of the Killerbody Iron Man helmet faceplate. I used a glossy black base, alumluster by imperial surfaces, SMS clear acrylic lacquers, finished with a 2k Glamour Clear. The result is a huge upgrade from stock. Here's a before and after.
hqdefault (1).jpeg

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG

IMG_1564 2.JPG

This is a repaint of the Killerbody Iron Man helmet faceplate. I used a glossy black base, alumluster by imperial surfaces, SMS clear acrylic lacquers, finished with a 2k Glamour Clear. The result is a huge upgrade from stock. Here's a before and after.
View attachment 1566781
View attachment 1566782

View attachment 1566783

View attachment 1566784
That looks freaking cool. There are some awesome looking Iron Man busts available from companies like Queen Studios but I can’t bring myself to pick one up because the paint just doesn’t capture this type of true metallic finish.

That looks freaking cool. There are some awesome looking Iron Man busts available from companies like Queen Studios but I can’t bring myself to pick one up because the paint just doesn’t capture this type of true metallic finish.
That's my problem with most wearable iron man helmet replicas. No one has really nailed the gold/red. Had to get in there and do it myself. It's not perfect, and given that on screen helmets were mostly CGI which shifted and changed in color and reflectivity from scene to scene and film to film, the best I could do was pick an average that I really liked.

As for busts, Morstorm just released a preorder that really seems to hit the nail on the head with their finishes. BUT, this is a promo shot, who knows how the production version will turn out...

2eec2a25e1.jpg

That's my problem with most wearable iron man helmet replicas. No one has really nailed the gold/red. Had to get in there and do it myself. It's not perfect, and given that on screen helmets were mostly CGI which shifted and changed in color and reflectivity from scene to scene and film to film, the best I could do was pick an average that I really liked.

As for busts, Morstorm just released a preorder that really seems to hit the nail on the head with their finishes. BUT, this is a promo shot, who knows how the production version will turn out...

View attachment 1566790
That one is just 1/2 scale though right?

Also I saw your post on FB and just realized who I was talking to lol. Have your Mando and Wall-E prints which are absolutely *chef’s kiss* No wonder this paint job looks phenomenal ha.

Last edited:
View attachment 1566781
View attachment 1566782

View attachment 1566783

View attachment 1566784
SMS makes quite a few reds. Would you mind sharing which one you used? I'm doing the briefcase of the MKV and I really like your red.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back