Iron man paint color

So the AX5 Merlot Pearl is in rattlecans? I've searched over here in the UK and haven't turned anything up yet, I wonder if there is an indentical paint under a different name/number

Another selection

Duplicolor Inferno Red Metalic (Chrysler)

8168265478_0ef9df9581.jpg

What is a good color for all the plain metal parts on the Mark III. I found Krylon® Premium Metallic Spray Paint - Chrome. What do you guys use and what do you think about this paint?

I'm currently building one of Davy's mark iv suits.
Was advised to go with Toyota salsa red metallic 3Q3 and Audi cosmic yellow metallic LY1S.

photo25-1.jpg

Tx maxx, I really like your colour scheme, a lot of the promotional images had IM wearing very dark colours but IMO the colours were a lot Brighter.

for the red color i use Duplicolor Metal Cast Red Metallic and i think it matches perfectly the dark still bright color of the suit, specially if you put a light pray coat of Gun metal, ill take some pics for you to see

My helmet arrived. Started taking captures from the movie and it really does seem like two different color types on screen. An almost burgundy look and then a more classic red.

ironburg.jpg

ironreddish.jpg

I'm sure it's all lighting, battle damage, and other things factoring in. So I guess it'll come down to personal preference. I may be going with a lighter look more akin to the second pic myself. I'm still debating on the golds and whether or not I make it battle damaged.

for the red color i use Duplicolor Metal Cast Red Metallic and i think it matches perfectly the dark still bright color of the suit, specially if you put a light pray coat of Gun metal, ill take some pics for you to see

Interested in seeing those pics.

Last edited:
He's the color samples I was looking at last weekend. From left to right, Claret red metallic, Toreador red metallic, and red garnet metallic. I think I'm going with the Claret red since I like the more burgundy red. These were all Duplicolor 8 ounce cans.

ba7agugu.jpg

Ruprekt - thanks for doing this test - because of it, I'm going to try the Toreador (which I've already picked up at Advanced Auto).

As far as gold - I wanted to go with the Duplicolor Sunburst Gold, but I can't find it anywhere and both Advanced Auto stores I talked to said they didn't carry it in the warehouse anymore. I'd prefer not to order online as shipping cost almost as much as the paint!

What gold did you go with, Ruprekt? Didn't see any mention of your color selections in your build thread. My next choice will probably be Kevin Gosset's Rustoleum suggestion for the gold.

Cheers.

In the Avengers, WETA simulated Iron Man's colour as a metal flake suspended in coloured enamel, with a clear coat over the top. Apparently the CGI clear coat was reative with the metallic base coat, meaning in outdoor scenes it started to take on a purple or blue hue. This effect was toned down to an acceptable level, but probably helps explain why the colour of the armor is so tricky to nail down as it is constantly changing!

I've pretty much decided to go with the dark cherry metallic Mighty John has used. It seems to be a bit lighter than it's namesake so I may use a dark primer underneath it, likely gray. Any suggestions on a semi-gloss or satin that works well with dupli-color? The suit just doesn't seem to have that high gloss look to me.

It seems like finding the perfect "Iron Man Red" paint has been a long running debate. Most of the red paints I've seen used here just seem slightly off, either too bright or too dark. Has anybody considered doing a paint color match against the Sideshow Collectibles Iron Man bust?

005.jpg

This bust was based on on production used molds and supposedly is accurate in color. Looks just right to me.

Last edited:
Very interesting idea. I actually debated about doing the same but with screencaps. I just dont think it would capture the colors that way. I'd like to see the results of what you're proposing.

It seems like finding the perfect "Iron Man Red" paint has been a long running debate. Most of the red paints I've seen used here just seem slightly off, either too bright or too dark. Has anybody considered doing a paint color match against the Sideshow Collectibles Iron Man bust?

This bust was based on on production used molds and supposedly is accurate in color. Looks just right to me.

Nicccccccccccccccccccccce!!! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back