Iron man motorised faceplate electronics tutorial!!!

and you have all GROUNDS connected to each other? all battery packs/arduinos/servos have their GNDS connected to each other?

nothing is jumping out at me at the moment then if all the above is correct. :(

edit:

do you have the arms attached?

try without any arms/load..

and make a 20 degree movement.. see if still buzzing at the end of the movements..

maybe? but isnt it your code hes using? and doesnt it work you for you/others?

I personally always try to NEVER use delays in any code... so maybe there is something in the code?

pics will help. then we'll see if its code related :)

It buzzes for me too but I've always assumed its due to cheap servos. Not upgraded them yet so I can't report my findings.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377114180.962123.jpg Here ya go.

maybe? but isnt it your code hes using? and doesnt it work you for you/others?

I personally always try to NEVER use delays in any code... so maybe there is something in the code?

pics will help. then we'll see if its code related :)
Sorry for the late response, here are pictures of what I have, the quality isn't the best but know it's exactly how 7sinzz has it wired and programmed in the first post. My computer is loaned out at the moment( don't ask) as soon as I get it back I'm going to try the code you supplied. Note: the only thing I changed was like I mentioned earlier, I powered the servos seperatley with a 4AA battery pack. Reason I did this was because I read that vibration could be caused by power fluctuation from powering it directly from the arduino. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

hmmmm...odd, I dont get any buzzing/problems with my set-up...

however I havent fine tuned the servos to get more/full range of movement either..

carm857 -

you can try my code if you like.. I can revisit it if there are any questions

just please use the diagram that matches my code...it is NOT like the others.....
I use more than 1/2 leds for the eyes...so I use transistors to toggle/control the leds for the eyes (as arduino can not power more than 1-2 leds per pin)
I also only use 1 battery pack and ensure I regulate the voltages correctly for my servos.. and correct resistors for the leds

post if you have ant trouble or questions

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember kids, cheap servos, or expensive servos, they all go bananas when you tell em to go to angles that they do not like, for all of you having the servos buzzing, CONNECT ALL THE GNDs TOGETHER, and try to fine tune the code, to find a position that the servo likes to stay quiet.

avoid the 0º command at all costs, start it with 1º or 5º, and finish it motion with 10º before it reaches the maximum limited by the manufacturer.

doing that all of you avoid making the same question over and over, and making xl97 a lil bit older than what he really is, for having to answer the same thing 10.000 times. LOL

anyways, I'm back, i was with the army in a military training overseas, and that took for ever!

memebr!!

m'man! welcome back...thought we had lost you!

p.s. I havent forgot you either...(pm's)... been trying to work the best volume & low pass filter values..etc :)

I've been considering adding a low battery warning into my code 8-/

Daunting! But necessary I think. Also waiting for parts to try mmbers hook up.

That would be great to be able to tell when the power is getting low wonderful idea.

BTW : I caved and ordered the smooth cast 65d. I have finnished the upper and lower torso as far as putting them to together in foam so I will up date after I have completed the suit and electronics and all. If I can get everything done the way I want to its goanna be a real blast LOL if you know what I mean hint hint ;)

I dont know if you guys have seen this but I though it was cool for the people having trouble figuring out what they need to do as far as hardware for the face pl
ate.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think you need batteries that can report their capacity in order to do that. It would be cool but a little overkill I think. It doesn't take much effort to swap the battery out!

you'd need a dedicated chip/IC to 'check' the voltage of your battery source..then do something with that 'feedback/value'...

or if you wanted to try using your Arduino you'd need a voltage divider to bring the voltage to a MAX 5v range that the Arduino can handle..

(possibly use the map() function too)

read up voltage dividers and using an analog input pin to 'read' to voltage. :)

Id have to agree that this may be over kill (but a fun learning project none-the-less)..

"I" have one in my project...but the bigger picture for me is passing data onto the HUD display..etc..

:)

Sure.. but probably wont work well or long..

As has been mentioned over 7 over.. 9v (rectangle) batteries are just JUNK!...

Is there a reason why everyone is trying to use 9v batteries even though they have been told NOT to?

If its '9 volts' from some stack of Alkaline batteries or something.. it'll probably work fine/longer.. with enough current.

** Also.. make note that the +5v voltage regulator is missing the decoupling caps on it.. (was mentioned/covered in this post as well... but I dont think myself or memebr updated our diagrams with it)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back