Iron Man MkIII helmet (Pics heavy - WIP)

Giuseppe

Hello, and yes. Again, another Iron Man helmet ! :rolleyes

This is my very first build, and I choose of course an Iron Man helmet because.. Well, Iron Man !
I do not plan to make the entire suit, it's just a weekend project, and I thought it'd be nice to have a home made helmet.

So, without any further waiting, here is where I am so far :

I choosed to do a pepakura helmet, so I started like everyone with a paper helmet :

7IbBVo9.jpg

Then, some polyester resin outside, and the first coat of fiber glass + resin inside :
(It was the first time I did something with fiberglass, and I have to say it has been a pretty nice mess. Fiber sticking to the glove and everywhere..)

bPcg5HJ.jpg

K80qujf.jpg

Since the paper helmet's shape was not very accurate, I had to apply a pre-coat of bondo to roughly smooth out the shape (if any viewer is french and is wondering what body filler is equivalent in France, the best is the Mastic Polyester, by Sintofer).
I choosed a fibered bondo (with some fiberglass in it, to had a little bit of resistance, and since I will have to use thick coat at some points).

lJ9IiFb.jpg

I had to sand it down to the resin inside at some point, and since it was my first time using such a resin, I decided to had an other layer of fiberglass + resin inside : to had a little more thickness and strength. After that, the inside was also a lot more smooth than before :

5nDZk1r.jpg

lgQQ3Gk.jpg

And the second coat of bondo, which I'm still sanding. I also cut out the ears, the paper work I did was horrible, and I thought it'd be easier to do with two rings of thin wood or something like that :

fWdume1.jpg

I'm still working on it, but I hope you enjoyed this little preview, feel free to comment if you have any remark, suggestion, etc...!

Attachments

• JTawiyR.jpg
    JTawiyR.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 141
  • KsRT3Yv.jpg
    KsRT3Yv.jpg
    698.4 KB · Views: 134
  • RlkPL6Z.jpg
    RlkPL6Z.jpg
    598.1 KB · Views: 137
  • lJ9IiFb.jpg
    lJ9IiFb.jpg
    680.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 5nDZk1r.jpg
    5nDZk1r.jpg
    992.5 KB · Views: 158
  • lgQQ3Gk.jpg
    lgQQ3Gk.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 154
  • fWdume1.jpg
    fWdume1.jpg
    557.7 KB · Views: 136
*Update !*

Still shaping, it begins to look like something ! :D I also worked on the face plate, I'm not fully satisfied by the cheek lines, but it looks promising to me !

pbGkl6J.jpg

I also started to look at the way I will do the mechanics. So, the easiest way I found for the hinges is to use some Meccano (Erector in the US, I think) :

JwYHWDt.jpg

89k4Jwh.jpg

r2tEqX6.jpg

And if someone is having trouble to drill exactly symmetrical hole on both side of the helmet, here is a little trick I use. First, determine on one side where you need to drill, then cover the surface with tape and mark the point. Cut the excess tape at an angle, a corner, or two edges in different directions, and drill the hole.

pvV0IVx.jpg

Reverse the tape and place it on the other side, use the same angle or edges as before to position it, and drill in the hole. Voilà !

20CXtI6.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back