ErkNinja's GOTG Star-Lord Build! WIP (Update: 10/17 Plasma Orb done!)

ErkNinja

Hi everyone! This is my current Star-Lord build. It's a work in progress. I started on it about a week ago.

Helmet:
For the mask, I saw a youtube video on taking the Ironman Mask and using that as a base. I used thin craft foam and cut out all the pieces that I need. I also used plumber epoxy putty to shape the area around the eyes. Currently, I'm in the process of plasti-diping the entire helmet to seal the foam so I can paint it.

0820142104.jpg 0824141127.jpg 0825142029.jpg 0826140643.jpg

How-to video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArAvodu-cls

Belt Buckle and Rocket Controls:
Since I have no skills with solidworks or any other CAD program, I made the belt buckle and rocket controls out of Sculpy clay. I made a mold of it and am going to be casting it in resin as soon as I receive my materials.

0825140834.jpg

Jacket:
As for the jacket, I purchased this one below on ebay. I haven't had a chance to take a picture of the actual jacket, but it looks great. If I have time, I'm going to replace those buckles on the sleeves and try to make it more accurate.

41W7H2mZQgL._SY200_.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23129979686...49&var=530544967866&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Shirt:
I bought this Hanes shirt in Denim Blue. It's a little more blue than I would like, but it seems quite close.

61KW7H7Rn5L._UL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001I3CEPC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pants:
I bought some motorcycle pants on ebay. I am waiting for those to come in. I'm going to unstitch the red lines on the back and remove the pouch on the side. If you do order them, definitely go more by the recommended heights than the waist measurements. They also seem to run a little small.
$_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/38093390928...48&var=650275934188&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Shoes:
These are the shoes that I picked. They are the Sketchers Men's Diameter-Garzo loafers. I sharpied the gray and tan lines black so they match.

0820142058.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LW5RPG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quad Blasters:
I bought the Nerf Quad Blasters. I think they actually did a good job with the look of the blaster and the correct size. They only went horribly wrong with the colors. I took apart the blasters and painted them silver and black. I am trying my hand at giving the blasters a weathered look by dry painting it. All I have to do now is put the blasters back together. I'll post pics of the final blasters later.

0820141829.jpg 0822142130.jpg 0823140934.jpg 0823141358a.jpg

Headphones and Sony Walkman:
I can't afford to buy the actual Sony Walkman, so I found pictures of it online and made myself a box for it. I made it so I could fit my cell phone inside and have the headphone jack of the Walkman picture line up with the headphone jack of my cell phone. It will of course be playing the Awesome Mix Vol 1!

It is nearly impossible to find replacement Sony Orange foam headphone pads, so I bought some orange microphone covers. I cut them and hot glued them to the headphones. I attached a quick release cell phone clip to the back of the Walkman so I can take it off whenever I want.

photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

These are the headphones:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KQZJS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Orange foam microphone covers:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FIYBA2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cell phone clip:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JPBY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Things left to do:
- Finish the helmet
- Cast the belt buckle and rocket controls in resin
- Make the belt
- Put together my painted Nerf quad blasters (pics to come soon!)
- Build the leg rockets
- Make Star-Lord's pocketbook...I mean satchel!
- Make the boot covers

Let me know what you think! Also, if you have any suggestions, please let me know! Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: GotG - My Star-Lord Build! WIP Jumping on the bandwagon!

Looking great! Would you mind going into more more detail about how you made the walkman box?

Looking great! Would you mind going into more more detail about how you made the walkman box?

Thanks! Sure, I'll give it a shot.

The dimensions of the actual player are: 5.9"x3.5"x1.4"

I took a piece of thin cardboard and cut out each panel. I taped the 4 walls to the bottom. I then taped the front panel to the left side of the box. You will need an extra wall for the tab with the velcro. I chose the side with the cassette buttons to be the overlapping flap. I closed the box and positioned the extra flap over the existing wall on the right. I then taped that extra flap to the top of the box.

Here is the shot of the inside:
0821142037.jpg

I made a grid out of the same cardboard to raise my cell phone up to the headphone jack position on the walkman. That is specific to your own phone, so I can't really help you out with how tall your grid needs to be. I made the grid by cutting notches out of each piece of cardboard and pushed the two notches together similar to the picture below.

FDSNPK2HDYZI3D1.MEDIUM.jpg

Once I put the grid into the box, I put my phone into it to test the fit. Now, depending on your phone, you may need to add spacers on the sides of the box so your phone fits snugly. I just cut thin strips of cardboard and layered them together until it was about the right thickness to hold the phone in place. I only needed spacers on the sides of the phone as my phone took up the entire length. I stuck the spacers to the walls of the box.

In terms of pictures, I searched online. I think these were the ones that I used:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/splorp/4251803169/in/photostream/

They were the most straight on shots that I could find.

I then used the *MOST* high-tech way to size the pictures correctly. I used Microsoft Word and resized the pictures according to the rulers on the side and top.

Once you have all your pieces sized out, you can print them individually and glue them to the box.

I bought some orange and gray foam and cut out some "buttons" for the walkman to give it a little more realistic look. I'll post some pictures of that later tonight when I get home.

I went to AC Moore and bought some small velcro pieces to hold down the tab onto the wall of the walkman.

Hopefully that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions! I'll try to take some more close up pictures if you would like.

Last edited:

Thanks! Sure, I'll give it a shot.

I then used the *MOST* high-tech way to size the pictures correctly. I used Microsoft Word and resized the pictures according to the rulers on the side and top.

Yeah! I am not the only one magnifying stuff on my computer screen then tracing it with a semitransparent sheet of paper! makes for a perfect template every time! ;)

Looks really good so far. Are you going to turn the shoes into boots or just build gaiters?

Looks really good so far. Are you going to turn the shoes into boots or just build gaiters?

I'm planning on just buildling gaiters. I'll probably stick them down with something non-permanent for my costume. The only reason is that the shoes are actually pretty comfortable, so I plan on wearing them after Halloween!

Here are pictures of my finished blasters. I will need to find a way to make the little holsters so I can attach these to my pants.

0826141659.jpg 0826141700.jpg

I found these over at Lowes. They are 1/2" PVC Repair Cuplings. I am thinking about using them as my rocket boosters for my legs. I know they're not exactly like the ones in the movie, but I think they're a pretty good fit considering they are already made and come as one piece. They're about $3 or 4 for one. I am going to make the middle piece out of wood will carve out the details with a dremel.

0826141826.jpg guardians-of-the-galaxy-starlord-boots-e1374431058622-600x800.jpg

I adjust the size on a word document on screen then print it & cut it out with scissors but I have a lot to learn about Templates even though I've made them for many things

He's also doing the rocket boot controls and belt buckle if you didn't see

He's also doing the rocket boot controls and belt buckle if you didn't see

Yup. I saw them. I already have my molds for the belt buckle and rocket boot controls that I made. I'm just waiting for my resin to come in so I can cast them. If I didn't get this far, I probably would buy the whole set. Thanks though!

look at the thread for painting your guns....using silver rub and buff makes them look like worn aluminum.....

Yeah, I came across the thread that talks about how to use the silver rub and buff yesterday. If only I had known earlier! I may go back and redo the blasters if I have time.

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy - My Star-Lord Build! WIP (Update: Infinity Orb and mask)

*Update 8/28*

I had a little down time while waiting for spraypaint to dry, so I thought I would give an Infinity Orb a go! I used a 4" solid styofoam ball. It's a little big for the orb, but the only other option was to use a 3" ball...which was definitely too small! It's not movie accurate, but I think it gets the point across!

I used a sharpie and drew all sorts of shapes all around the ball. I then used a soldering iron (set to around 300°F) to melt away the black areas to create the deeper parts of the orb. Afterwards, I spraypainted about 3 layers of flat black onto the orb at all different angles. Covering the entire orb with black proved to be difficult because there are so many different nooks and crannies that you need to cover. Once that was dry, I sprayed a light layer of silver metallic paint onto a paper towel that was sitting on the table. I then rubbed the orb on the paper towel so it covered the highest points.

0826142048.jpg0826142204.jpg0827141707.jpg0828141954.jpg

The last part of the helmet that had to go on was the back side. I used 2 layers of craft foam: the bottom layer is the entire back of the helmet and the top layer is the same thing, but with the 3 separate pieces. I used 1" thick elastics to attach the back onto. I decided to put 2 elastics higher up to support the helmet on my head and 1 at the bottom so it's stretchy enough for me to get my head into it. I glued the back side of the helmet to the elastics and there is just enough elasticity for me to get my head in there. Every part of the helmet has at least 3 layers of plasti-dip on it, so it's time to paint it this weekend!

0827141812b.jpg0828141727.jpg0828141727a.jpg

I added some "buttons" to my walkman to give it a little 3D effect. I got some orange and gray craft foam and cut out the pieces to the same size as the ones on the picture. I drew some hash lines on the gray buttons with a sharpie.

0826141902.jpg0826141901.jpg

Last edited:
Re: GotG - My Star-Lord Build! WIP (Update: Infinity Orb and Helmet)

Got the helmet painted over the weekend and added all the tubing on the helmet. This is my first attempt at making something look weathered.

0830141812-1~2.jpg0830141551.jpg

And here is my first failed attempt with silver spraypaint:

0829141623b.jpg

My base coat was black, so I thought that it might darken the color (which I was hoping for)...but boy was I wrong! So in order to get a darker color, I used Rustoleum Aged Bronze and then a light coat of Rustoleum Metallic Silver.

Next up: LEDs for the eyes!

Re: GotG - My Star-Lord Build! WIP (Update: 9/2 Helmet)

I haven't updated in a few weeks....so there's a bunch of new things that I've done!

I added some LEDs to my helmet. I used 3 LEDs for each eye. I know the actual helmet has more (maybe 6 in each eye?), but 3 was all I could drive with the 4 AAA batteries before it got too dull. I put a toggle switch near the back of the helmet on the right side.

0902141309a.jpg0902142211a.jpg0902142211b.jpg0902142211c.jpg0902142211d.jpg

Boot covers:

I made a 2 part boot cover. The back piece is a piece of black leather. I punched holes up the front of it and put hockey laces. I added these screw on studs to the back of the black leather, which the front boot covers attach to.

0913141519.jpg0913141520.jpg0911142236.jpg0910142120.jpg

Finished up my rocket controls:
0918142103.jpg

My belt buckle arrived - thanks to Endless Wonder!
I ordered the unfinished one and spent a little time yesterday polishing it and weathering. Time to make the rest of the belt!!

0926140641.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back