Guardians of the Galaxy Chris Pratt Star-Lord Costume Build (pic heavy)

Thanks for the info about the acetone bath. It's something I've vaguely heard of, but never done any real research on because I just assumed you'd need a complicated set-up, lol.

Thanks for the info about the acetone bath. It's something I've vaguely heard of, but never done any real research on because I just assumed you'd need a complicated set-up, lol.

Every time I had herd of it people were doing it on heated platforms of there 3d printers and well… I don't have one. Thats why when I saw this method I wanted to try it. And if you have this stuff lying around or don't mind spending $10 at the hardware store its the best way to smooth these parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Those look so awesome!!!

Thanks! I think they are a little on the big side but I'm ok with that and am having a blast working on them :)

Wow, I'm really impressed with your results! I really need to give it a try sometime. For the heated element, I've seen people use things like a rice cooker. It can be dangerous though!

Wow, I'm really impressed with your results! I really need to give it a try sometime. For the heated element, I've seen people use things like a rice cooker. It can be dangerous though!

Thats another reason I didn't want to try it that way. Although I wouldn't suggest any flames or anything near the cold method either :lol
Just use caution when working with acetone in general I guess.

Since my air brush is out of order I figured I should get some other stuff done on the jets so I got the center pieces to fit properly. How I didn't think of using the dremel last night amazes me because when I started using that thing tonight on the parts things moved way quicker.
IMG_20140720_230251_081.jpgIMG_20140720_230311_299.jpg
After both parts fit nice and snug I started thinking about the glue up. In videos I've seen on Youtube people were using action to chemically weld abs parts together. Thankfully I'm a bit of a pack rat and figured the support material and cut offs could be used for something like this so saved them in a bag and I had enough abs to made a acetone abs glue.
IMG_20140721_030246_219.jpgI put these bits into an old medicine bottle and poured it about a 1/3 of the way full with acetone and let it sit with the cap on for about an hour or two and the plastic dissolved. I got the parts of the main body together and used a small brush to quickly brush on the glue and then i pressed the parts together. The acetone melts both sides and bonds them together, so now its one piece. The cool thing about this abs juice glue stuff is it can be used to fill the small rounded areas/ gaps where the parts meet.
IMG_20140721_050213_445.jpgThis is definitely how I'm going to glue the hole piece together.
I got a lot done, but I can't move on till I get the air brush problem solved.
IMG_20140721_053244_985.jpgAnd Kevin, I think its just a little big compared to what I see on Star lord's boot. ;) lol

The center stack looks a little too big and wide by my eye, but i'm just nitpicking. They look really great. Can't wait to see them all painted up and assembled.

Well today I got another (better) hose for my air brush from Hobby Lobby, and ordered a pair of boots that are close enough for me to be happy with for the costume.
I'll post pics when the boots arrive.

I got the best delivery yet this morning!
IMG_20140722_122246_862.jpgI got my Davy Helmet kit! I started working on it about five minutes after it was delivered :D
IMG_20140722_133240_241.jpgIMG_20140722_133245_908.jpgI started cutting the excess off with a dremel and got good results. The toughest thing to cut was the space in the ear section. To cut out the eyes I used a sanding wheel on the dremel and it worked awesome. The dust was really annoying, I'm glad I had a air compressor near by because the dust made it hard to see the lines I needed to cut so I used some air to blow it off every once and a while.
Now that I have all of the cutting and edge sanding done and it fits good I need to figure out where all the little parts of this kit go:unsure
All and all it will need a small amount of foam on the inside to get a really good fit, I'm just happy I can were my glasses inside of it, although it will only do so much since with the lenses visibility is almost nonexistent and will probably get worse with L.E.D.s.
IMG_20140722_134144_771.jpgIMG_20140722_134149_103.jpgThere are going to be a few all-nighters in my future with this thing :lol

How do you plan to attach rockets to boots..magnets.
And how do you get intouch will davey..cant find

How do you plan to attach rockets to boots..magnets.
And how do you get intouch will davey..cant find

I was thinking on using some snap fasteners to attach the rockets to my boots.
I think we've said earlier on this thread that the best way to get in contact with Davy is through his Facebook.(its page 4)

I figured I should post last nights work so heres what I got done.
I did pit filling with CA glue and a flat hobby blade then painted with a filler primer.
IMG_20140723_110914_949.jpgAfter the primer dried I started sanding.
I started with a dry 220 grit and got all the rough surface of then started wet sanding.
IMG_20140723_240737_929.jpgIMG_20140723_244751_442.jpg
The sanding when as follows.
Started with a quick wet 220, moved to 320, 400, and I went up to 800.
IMG_20140723_244825_139.jpgIt took something like 2-3 hours of sanding to get the final finish.
I used a lot of sandpaper...:lol
IMG_20140723_013808_703.jpg
The finish turned out great and I'll get more paint in the next few days to paint it. In the mean time I'll get all the little bits prepped and finish up the jets.IMG_20140723_013620_897.jpgIMG_20140723_013541_726.jpg
IMG_20140723_013557_506.jpgIMG_20140723_013709_519.jpg

I got the best delivery yet this morning!
View attachment 352143I got my Davy Helmet kit! I started working on it about five minutes after it was delivered :D
View attachment 352141View attachment 352142I started cutting the excess off with a dremel and got good results. The toughest thing to cut was the space in the ear section. To cut out the eyes I used a sanding wheel on the dremel and it worked awesome. The dust was really annoying, I'm glad I had a air compressor near by because the dust made it hard to see the lines I needed to cut so I used some air to blow it off every once and a while.
Now that I have all of the cutting and edge sanding done and it fits good I need to figure out where all the little parts of this kit go:unsure
All and all it will need a small amount of foam on the inside to get a really good fit, I'm just happy I can were my glasses inside of it, although it will only do so much since with the lenses visibility is almost nonexistent and will probably get worse with L.E.D.s.
View attachment 352144View attachment 352145There are going to be a few all-nighters in my future with this thing :lol

How did you find the fit? What size is your melon?

How did you find the fit? What size is your melon?

I though the fit was good, it will need a little bit of foam but all helmets do. and my head is 22.5 inches (57.15 centimeters) in circumference.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey everyone! New here... Quick question to those who made their half chaps. Do you have a pattern? Did you make your own? If so, how?

People have made there own patterns to my knowledge. Not sure how to explain how a pattern is made though.:unsure

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back