Groot cosplay with baby Rocket: 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

Revochart

Ok, so this is my first post here, but I have been looking on the site for a few months now, getting some great inspiration.
Like many, I decided I wanted to do a Groot costume after seeing Guardians of the Galaxy. I have a decent amount of experience with making costumes, mostly sewing, so this will be the first fabrication heavy project.
The thing that I am a little excited about is that in addition to making my Groot costume, we are also working on a Rocket Raccoon costume for my now 8 month old baby. We do a lot of baby wearing (literally wearing the baby with a wrap, sling, etc), so I am going to try to make my costume so that I can wear him.
10661886_10204788262245150_5233776128493832144_o.jpg

I definitely owe a lot of thanks to several of you here on the RPF who have given me inspiration and some great ideas, I also will give a shout out to "oligarchy" on imgr (who is not on here as far as I know).

Last edited:
Re: Groot cosplay with baby Rocket

So, though I started with my bodysuit onto which I will glue vines etc, but I don't have a picture of that.
So instead, I have pics of my mask.
I used some thick fun-foam that I cam across at the fabric store.
IMG_2436.JPG
I glued it together, and formed it a little using a hair dryer.
IMG_2437.JPG
IMG_2438.JPG
I then used a soldering iron to do the detail.
IMG_2440.JPGIMG_2441.JPGIMG_2443.JPG
And put a top on with a little branch.
IMG_2442.JPG

Ok, I have been working, but not updating, so here is where I am this fine Halloween day.
Here is the suit I made from a pajama pattern.
IMG_2445.JPG
the fabric has an interesting texture to it.
IMG_2446.JPG
I made hands out of foam, attached gloves, and then strings from the fingers of the gloves to the fingers of the hand. The idea is to extend my arms, but still have some movement.
IMG_2448.JPGIMG_2449.JPG
I worked on a neck cuff with vines, etc. carved into it. Ultimately I decided to scrap it, it was uncomfortable, and ultimately didn't look that great.
IMG_2450.JPGIMG_2451.JPG
Then I started gluing the pipe insulation to the suit. I started with the right arm (2nd picture), but I made the mistake of covering the entire thing with insulation. When I tried it out, the arm was way too stiff; in fact, too stiff to actually use. Once I realized that, I left more room between tubes. The pipe insulation itself was cut into thirds, this gave a round face, but wasn't huge. I used hot glue, low temp definitely (when I tried the high temp, it melted through the insulation).
IMG_2454.JPGIMG_2455.JPGIMG_2456.JPG
My baby was a big help during this process.
IMG_2457.JPGIMG_2452.JPG
Here are the simple platforms that I built, I am trying them while wrapping the baby.
IMG_2461.JPGIMG_2460.JPG
Here is a test of the suit plus the platforms, I was pleasantly surprised how it all came together.
IMG_2464.JPGIMG_2463.JPG
Then I covered the platforms with pipe insulation.
IMG_2466.JPGIMG_2465.JPG
Finally I painted the whole thing with super-flat camouflage brown spray paint.
IMG_2468.JPG

Last edited:

Then there's Rocket, of course.
I made a hat out of fir using one of his hats as a pattern (though the hat was on the small side)
IMG_2473.JPGIMG_2467.JPG
I took an outfit that he already had, and added fir arms, foam shoulders, and accents on the side. We also added the tail onto the pants.
IMG_2470.JPGIMG_2471.JPG
Here we are at our local comic book store for their Halloween thing. It was a good test run.
IMG_2475.JPGIMG_2474.JPG
My wife dressed up as Gamora.
IMG_2480.JPG
I learned a lot about the overall movement, and especially how hot it is (I apparently didn't take the 'insulation' part of pipe insulation seriously). It was quite a hit, and several people asked for pictures.
IMG_2487.JPGIMG_2488.JPG

I did some finishing touches on the costume today, some highlighting and adding moss, I am pretty happy with the way that it is turning out. All I could find was these big wads of moss, so I put several of them in the blender which gave me smaller pieces, and then glued that down.
IMG_2502.JPGIMG_2503.JPGIMG_2501.JPG
Planing on taking it out tonight and tomorrow night, and getting some good pictures.

So, Halloween weekend didn't go quite the way I planned.
Friday night, we went to a community "Fall Festival," it went well, and got a lot of great comments. However, I fell, and ripped one of my boots off of the platform (I knew I should have used washers.)
IMG_2505.JPGIMG_2506.JPGIMG_2508.JPG
We went to a party afterwards, so I just didn't use the platforms since it was inside.
IMG_2511.JPG
The next day we were planning on going to another community event, get some great pictures, and all would be happy with the world.
Unfortunately, South Carolina got the earliest snow fall ever (or at least recently), and the event got canceled.

67285_10204955368582704_2767886489248354321_n.jpg
So, I took a few days, fixed my platforms, sew down some bark pieces that kept popping off, etc, and headed out earlier for final pics.
IMG_2542.JPGIMG_2541.JPG
aaaaand, the camera died. So now I am waiting for it to charge before I take my proof and a couple of interior shots, and then choose and send off the gallery pic before 10pm.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back