Ok so here is the post I told everyone I would do..so people can follow or ignore this as they see fit.. but it should help someone
I took pictures of most things, I painted this up and took pics in about 4-5hrs so I was rushing to get it all done for Halloween. Its really not that hard, just lots of differnt things to do to get a decent paint job
Ok so step one..I cut out the eyes with a dermal, and sanded all the edges to make them smooth.. 120 grit then 320
Next I drilled a few holes.
The first pic is holes for the pipes to go into, they are a bit long so people will need to cut/sand and fit them.
Next I drilled a couple small holes..cause I missed this in the master..not sure how..but its 2 secs to just drill 4 tiny holes to make a nice looking detail
Now I take both pieces and the extra bits/pipes etc and wash them really well, lots of soapy water..not too hot or you will warp resin..
Once its nice and dry I get my gear and the Adhesion Promoter, I find it works well on resin or rubber..
Before I put any spray on the pieces I bow all the dust off then use a tac cloth to get rid of all the dust.. I use this cloth beteen colours too, if the paint is fully dry.. And set up the pieces so you can spray them all down at once, you need to spray paint of the adhesion promoter within 10 mins..
Next step, after a few mins of adhesion promoter being on the cast.. First coat of paint, I used a cheap krylon gold.. I would recommend Dupli-colour so all the paint is from the same supplier.. but this seemed to work well..sorry no pic of just the base colour.. I started masking before I took one..
So yeah the next step once the paint is dry, mask off the areas that are going to stay gold
Even the little bit on the side
Now you can get your second coat on there, I used Dupli-color gunmetal grey
And dont forget the pipes and small bits.. adhesion promoter then black paint
Now once the second colour is dry unmask it carefully You may have some areas that dont match up to the lines on the helmet..dont worry about that, this one is battle damaged and worn likt the movie prop..lots of room to fix any problems from masking wrong or unmasking wrong
Next I used a product new to me..old to most people on this site..Rub n Buff. I decided I really didnt want to mask off all those little tiny bits..I'm way to impatient for that so i just put the product on and made sure it was rubbed in enough to be "dry" and shiny.. I used it for the resin bits too, then glued them on
Next I started by inking all the lines with a dark brown/black ink, and a liner brush. You can thicken up the lines and dab the ink on with a sponge or paper towel to get the more weathered effect..this is where you would hide/fix any mistakes made from masking or unmasking I added battle damage with silver paint as well.
Next I did the sanding for the inside of the eyes, so the lighting kit will sit properly.. when I do this again I'll probably do that in the 1st or 2nd step
And now you will want to check over the helmet to make sure the silver is all good and shiny and all the inks are dry then use a clear coat, a few light coats.. I used a satin finish so its not a super shiny helmet. Add some magnets and foam..elastic strap and you good to go Easy