Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Apr 21, 2010, 10:55 AM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #51

You know that could be a really good costume for you Jodo! tell you what you do Whiplash and we can get together for a photo shoot!
    From
    Southampton, UK
    Apr 21, 2010, 10:56 AM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #52

LOGANCLAW22 said: View Post

I used a sleek bottomed thin foam sled for my iron man stomach along with 4 multiple sized baseball helmets for my shoulder armor, 7-11 cups for gauntlets, detergent bottles for biceps/upper arms, along with some old clone trooper parts, Plastic cups for trapezius area, etc. Mounted everything on some old motocross armor so that I could just slip it on and off. Bought the Helmet.
    That's a very good point right there - there are many many many commercially made plastic items of different shapes and sizes that can be cut up and reused... beats sanding bondo down anyway ;-)
    From
    So. Cal.
    Apr 21, 2010, 11:05 AM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #53

Very nice. Just a couple of quick questions, when the scale says 1:2 we print it double the size? What size paper are you using?
    From
    Sin City (Vegas)
    Apr 21, 2010, 11:15 AM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #54

Fetts.Sobriquet said: View Post
    Dark! You sir are the Master! Thanks for the compliment .

Credits do, your doing work I could not, I'd cut all my fingers off if I atemped to try this so my hats off to you, and I look forward to the rest of the suit, great work keep it up.
  5. RPF Premium Member Soulinertia's Avatar
    From
    Colorado
    Apr 21, 2010, 11:37 AM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #55

Fetts,

Refreshing to see someone take an alternate route in releasing the "Ultra-super-Top-Secret" technique to build armor suits out of a readily/cheap source of plastic material. I spend alot of time my self sourcing readily available/cheap sources of plastics and foam peices at places like Walmart, Target, etc. I used a sleek bottomed thin foam sled for my iron man stomach along with 4 multiple sized baseball helmets for my shoulder armor, 7-11 cups for gauntlets, detergent bottles for biceps/upper arms, along with some old clone trooper parts, Plastic cups for trapezius area, etc. Mounted everything on some old motocross armor so that I could just slip it on and off. Bought the Helmet.

Thanks for starting this thread
    All 3 costumes rock in that pic! You've done an amazing job transforming common household items into an excellent Iron Man.
  6. RPF Premium Member Fetts.Sobriquet's Avatar
    Apr 21, 2010, 1:15 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #56

Nobody said: View Post
    Very nice. Just a couple of quick questions, when the scale says 1:2 we print it double the size? What size paper are you using?
    The templates are not very printer friendly at this point. Some are letter,some are legal,some are tabloid. When I get the templates finished I'm going to offer a second option and format them all US letter and add them to the main template zip file. When they are all on Letter they will have to be cut out and put together since some templates will span multiple pages.

To answer your question, when it is 1:2 scale, it appears on the paper to be half the actual size. You will need to double the size of the drawing to be life size. When it is 1:1 it is appears on paper the size it should be. The measurements are on the drawing if you need to verify your scale after printing. As for the paper sizes I'm using, I've used Letter 8.5X11 and Tabloid 11X17 so far. Tabloid for the ribs, and I think the breast plate, letter for everything else.
  7. RPF Premium Member Fetts.Sobriquet's Avatar
    Apr 21, 2010, 1:16 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #57

LOGANCLAW22, your suit looks sweet! That is a work of art and very creative uses of commonly found items! I don't think I could make it look nearly that good!
    Apr 21, 2010, 1:42 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #58

Fetts,

I did not intend to hijack your post, just re-enforce your point about what can be done with some plastic parts, trashcans, etc. Don't kid yourself, your MKV is going to kick ass. I have never attempted to make a helmet so I have to resort to buying them. I think that once you have a great helmet/mask that you are 80% there when going for a look. It takes a true "expert" on props to recognize a costumes faults and there are only so many "so-called experts" out there.

I cannot wait to see your finished product and just love the progress picks. I was just down in my basement last night cutting up a black trash can for parts of the War Machine so I got a big smile on my face when I saw your post. Sending templates out was thoughful and just awesome. There are some great people on these boards. That's why I'd like to think that they were created in the first place. This is some fun stuff! Take care and keep those posts coming. Thanks.

Paul D.
  9. RPF Premium Member Fetts.Sobriquet's Avatar
    Apr 21, 2010, 1:50 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #59

Fetts,

I did not intend to hijack your post, just re-enforce your point about what can be done with some plastic parts, trashcans, etc. Don't kid yourself, your MKV is going to kick ass. I have never attempted to make a helmet so I have to resort to buying them. I think that once you have a great helmet/mask that you are 80% there when going for a look. It takes a true "expert" on props to recognize a costumes faults and there are only so many "so-called experts" out there.

I cannot wait to see your finished product and just love the progress picks. I was just down in my basement last night cutting up a black trash can for parts of the War Machine so I got a big smile on my face when I saw your post. Sending templates out was thoughful and just awesome. There are some great people on these boards. That's why I'd like to think that they were created in the first place. This is some fun stuff! Take care and keep those posts coming. Thanks.

Paul D.

I'm not worried about it I'm glad you posted that and told me how you did it.
  10. RPF Premium Member Fetts.Sobriquet's Avatar
    Apr 21, 2010, 1:56 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #60

I've been getting a lot of questions about formatting the pages and sizing.

I have added some more files to the main templates zip file. Now you will find the original template with my comments and measurements, you'll also find another file associated with the same part but with US-LETTER in the file name. These are multipage PDFs that are formatted for 8.5X11 and ready to print.

Still, reference at the large template file so you can see what the part should look like when you cut the paper out and tape it together.

Hope this helps, any questions just ask!
    Apr 21, 2010, 3:00 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #61

I always thought that those female hanging mannequins and forms would be a good starting point for Rescue armor. I've see female mando builders use them with success.
    True, that could totally work. Just hard to get the right size, but it's definitely something to build off of.
    Apr 21, 2010, 3:19 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #62

Fetts, you are a true gentleman. Looking through my workshop I came across 2 45 gallon plastic drums, I think I am set on plastic LOL!
  13. RPF Premium Member Fetts.Sobriquet's Avatar
    Apr 21, 2010, 3:19 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #63

Abdominal section

This flexing ab section thing is not very hard to do and Finhead hit the nail on the head. All it's made of is elastic and plates of plastic. Those arms you see on the side, those are not necessary to the function of this part. They are only for show.

Let's start with the ab template. The main ab plate can be whatever shape you want, so feel free to change it up, play with the templates, etc. The arms on the template might not be the size you need. I made them longer in case someone had a larger midsection and needed the extra length to make it look right. I'll show you how to put it together and find out what's right for you.

I bought 4 yards of 2" wide white elastic.

I wrapped a strip around my chest, where I wanted the top of the first Ab plate to sit. I cut the elastic to size and put a safety pin in to hold the two ends together.

Then I riveted the top of the main ab plate body to the elastic.

You will need to use washers on the back of these rivets. The elastic won't hold if you don't use a washer.

You should use washers on the back all of your rivets, but if you get in the habit of not using washers this is not an area you can do with out them.

At this point if you do this 3 more times, you'll have a nice abdominal chest piece. So, if you are doing War Machine you wouldn't need to add the little arms that come off the main plates. Since we're doing the Mark V, we'll add the arms.

I drilled a hole for the arms to attach to the main plate, which you can see in the above picture.

I cut a quick strip of plastic out and riveted it to the main plate, then attached another strip of plastic to the first one to form an obtuse angle. Some what of an exaggerated "L" shape. The top of the "L" is attached by rivet to the top of the same strip of elastic that the main plate attaches to.

Somehow I missed taking a picture of this, but you see what I mean in the pic below. I'll post a better picture later.

So, like I said, do this 4 times or more depending on how many plates you want to do. If you decide to make the plates smaller you might need more.

When I made this, it was before I uploaded the most recent Ab templates and the arms are too thick. I made them thinner in the templates that are available now. I also had them pined on the elastic to test it out.
    At this point you should have something like this:
    I just threw this together very quickly to give you an idea of the articulation.

If you want to hide the rivets, you can cut out the fins on the template and glue them over the rivets.
    Like so:

I decided not to hide the rivets, so I skipped this part.

My advice is to lay it out how you plan on assembling it. Hold it to your stomach and see about how long the arms should be for you. Some will need longer arms than others. This is one of those parts where the template won't work for everyone. Luckily it's pretty simple.

Any questions, let me know.
    Last edited by Fetts.Sobriquet; Apr 21, 2010 at 4:52 PM. Reason: Through instead of threw? I'm better than that!
  14. RPF Premium Member Soulinertia's Avatar
    From
    Colorado
    Apr 21, 2010, 3:22 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #64

Sweet, the possibilities are endless!
    Apr 21, 2010, 3:29 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #65

looking great!
  16. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Apr 21, 2010, 3:40 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #66

Hey Fett, this looks amazing!

How long do you expect this suit to take? If I can get it done before May 7th I am thinking of attempting...

Also, the photos of the trashcan with the cuts in it was very helpful because it helped clue in to which parts had the bends!
  17. RPF Premium Member Fetts.Sobriquet's Avatar
    Apr 21, 2010, 3:47 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #67

aoifrost said: View Post
    Hey Fett, this looks amazing!

How long do you expect this suit to take? If I can get it done before May 7th I am thinking of attempting...

Also, the photos of the trashcan with the cuts in it was very helpful because it helped clue in to which parts had the bends!
    I don't know exactly. I made the abs last night and the chest the night before, so, I don't think it will take too long. A few more days and we'll have it finished I bet.

I didn't think of people wanting to make this for the movie opening. I'll try to get going on the helmet tonight since thats the main focus of the costume. I'll also start on the arms and legs.

As far as the bends, I might not be finding the best parts of the trashcan, so look at the shape of the can and what you're going for and go from there. Of course if those pic are helpful please use them.

Here is what it looks like now:

It looks pretty distressed.
    Last edited by Fetts.Sobriquet; Apr 21, 2010 at 3:54 PM.
    Apr 21, 2010, 3:53 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #68

naw, it still looks like you can use. LOL
  19. RPF Premium Member stormtrooperguy's Avatar
    From
    Waltham, MA
    Apr 21, 2010, 4:11 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #69

great work! and thanks for sharing your techniques!
    From
    Canada
    Apr 21, 2010, 4:12 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #70

It wouldn't be too bad to just pep a helmet. I know it doesn't match the style but it would be peace of mind knowing the method is there to utilize for an accurate helmet and still keep costs down. I'm still curious to see how your helmet turns out though. be blown away for real. Keep up the awesome work

Masterfett lol
    From
    Nor Cal, USA
    Apr 21, 2010, 4:19 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #71

I don't know exactly. I made the abs last night and the chest the night before, so, I don't think it will take too long. A few more days and we'll have it finished I bet.

I didn't think of people wanting to make this for the movie opening. I'll try to get going on the helmet tonight since thats the main focus of the costume. I'll also start on the arms and legs.

As far as the bends, I might not be finding the best parts of the trashcan, so look at the shape of the can and what you're going for and go from there. Of course if those pic are helpful please use them.

Here is what it looks like now:

It looks pretty distressed.
    You decimated that poor trash can, where are you gonna put the scraps from this project now?
    Seriously though great work! Its nice to see tutorials on things like this.. If not just for the plastic craft.. but how the ab was put together and the templates.. Great work!
    Apr 21, 2010, 4:20 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #72

awesome.
    Apr 21, 2010, 4:46 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #73

Is anyone getting any corrupted files from downloading the template?
    Apr 21, 2010, 4:57 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #74

nope
    haven't had that happen.
    Apr 21, 2010, 5:36 PM - Re: Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial #75

My kid brother just joined this site after watching me on it for the past 5 years. He's attempting this suit and is super excited about it. Fetts he said that you have been VERY helpful answering all his questions. Thanks that was very nice of you. Excited to see how this turns out.

-Ash