FABRICATING a real IRONMAN suit out of STEEL.

mrjbarl1

hello everyone,
my name is james and after making an ironman suit for halloween this year out of foam,flu pipe, and duct tape; i began looking into actual ironman suits that fans have made from pepakura paper templates, fiberglass, 3d printing, etc; but i have yet to have seen or find anyone who has attemped to build one out of steel (and i dont mean light sheet metal). after watching the movies over the years and seen the suits come along through the sequals, i have decided that i am going to build a real ironman suit out of 14,16,and 18 gauge sheet metal using the exsisting pepakura ironman mark 7 templates. i am a 25 year old business owner that is a jack of all trades and an expert in some. i am a machinist/welder/fabricator/blacksmith by trade, and have my own fab/machine shop that is equipped with all the neccessary machines and welders to take on this project. im very knowledgable in alot of various fields, and even dabble in electronics but i am by no means good at it. i have aquired the nickname tony stark from friends and family over the past few years due to my knowladge and abilities to build/do the things i have done; as well as my "tony stark goatee" that ive had since before the first ironman came out. i enjoy a good challenge and love it especially when people doubt me or my abilities. now with that being said, i plan on having all of the many pieces and parts of the pepakura templates for the mark 7 suit laser cut from 14,16,and 18 guage sheetmetal, which i will then heat,beat,bend,crease, and tig weld together to form the various parts required to build this suit. i will be using a tig welder to give the welds optimum strength; as well as using 308 stainless steel filler rod for the welds for added strength. all welds will be sanded smooth and gone over with body filler as needed to keep a very smooth finish for painting. once my fab work is done i will make all the armor pieces open/close as needed for wearing the suit; and putting foam padding in all needed places. this suit will be completely funcional (other than flying and repulsers that actually shoot) and will be complete with motorized flight stabilizers,arc reactor that when attatched to the suit will turn the on-board lithium ion power source on for the suit to function. the face plate for the helmet will have no eye holes below the eyes that light up. instead, i will be using a nightvision capable camera with an LCD screen mounted on the inside of the faceplate, which will take place of my sight while wearing the suit. as for the hand and chest repulsers, i will be using high powered LED lights for the constant glow, which will power up to full brightness; which at that point i will equip the palms and chest repulsers with high powered camera flashes to immitate the unique "repulser charging" sound; followed by the sudden flash to simulate the blast. i have other little tricks and ideas that i will be keeping to myself until it comes time to equip my suit with them. now with all this being said, im sure some of you are rolling your eyes at me and others are all for my idea. its time someone built a real ironman suit out of real steel, and not paper or tin. i will honestly need help with this build as far as replicating the motorized face plate and other various electronic parts. im also looking for the pepakura mark 7 files that i can print out/ have downloaded into a cnc laser cutting machine for the parts to be made. i would also not mind having/using/borrowing a good exsisting replica of the mark 7 suit to keep my parts identical to. i am open too all opinions and ideas that anyone has for my suit, and also wouldnt mind hearing any pointers i may need for certain parts of the suit like the mechanisms that people have designed or used to lift the face plate. yes this is going to be an expensive and time consuming build with alot of labor, but i think its time for someone to take on this build and i think that im the guy to do it. so please, give me your input and support to help make this happen in plenty of time before avengers 2 hits the screen! those of you that doubt me, stay out of my way and please do not comment with negative or disrespectful remarks. i make a good living building cool stuff and i know what im capable of. these hands push steel, not pencils. im not this Le guy i see so much about, or a self proclaimed "real life tony stark" that makes suits out of legos and eco friendly plastic. im not Tony Stark OR Ironman and i will never claim to be. but i just might be the closest thing to it. (minus the billionaire part). time to make some sparks fly!

this will be my first prop/ costume build since i was about 18 when i had built a replica of a proton pack and the freddy kruger claw. that was before camera phones were popular and i have to look for the pictures. but i have done body work on numerous cars and trucks, fiberglass work, models, and other things along these lines. i can begin posting pictures of my suit once i aquire the proper files to build it; which will begin with the helmet

This is an absolutly amazing concept I am looking forward to following . Good luck I'm super excited to see the finished product.

Sent from my SCH-R740C using Tapatalk

thank you everyone for taking interest into my project. im definitly taking notes for the different places to find information on the various suit parts. im new to this site and im starting to figure it out so bare with me fellas lol. cant wait to get the ball rolling on this!

Might be worth getting a hold of the art books or finding if some of the production notes are online that talk about building the suits they used on screen. From memory at least one of the art books refers to certain problems they had with the suits and movability and they had to cut portions out and replace them digitally.

Interesting idea... but please, next time use one of these now and again:

enter_key.jpg

The one just below it is useful as well.

i do understand that others have attempted this same idea, but i dont believe anyone has attemped it in a way that i am going to. i do not mean to take shots at anyone on this matter, i simply would like to be taken seriously and not mocked like i have seen jerks do to other builders. im going to build this suit out of heavIER material than thin sheet metal. just like knights armor was built, the strength of the suit will come from the design/shape of it. yes it will be heavier than most other suits, but with it being a beefier construction, it will be able to do things that other homemade suits can not and will actually be protective and even bullet proof to a various array of different calibers of gun. im not saying its gonna be absolutly safe against bullets, but in the case that it was even shot at, it has a higher probability of ricocheting a bullet rather than it going through the steel. not to mention i would certainly be able to line the entire suit with kevlar or another bulletproof material to actually make it safe. i just think it would be cool to have a legit ironman suit that will actually keep you safe in some situations, and function as closely to the one in the movie as possible. i have the upmost respect for anyone else that has attemped/ succeeded building a suit of this nature. like i said, its a challenge; and i want to see what im capable of. thank you for your comment. God bless.

flyaway- i agree 100% on that. im sure there will be some issues that i will run into as far as the agility of the suit, but in my opinion thats what will make this project fun for me.

i do understand that others have attempted this same idea, but i dont believe anyone has attemped it in a way that i am going to. i do not mean to take shots at anyone on this matter, i simply would like to be taken seriously and not mocked like i have seen jerks do to other builders. im going to build this suit out of heavIER material than thin sheet metal. just like knights armor was built, the strength of the suit will come from the design/shape of it. yes it will be heavier than most other suits, but with it being a beefier construction, it will be able to do things that other homemade suits can not and will actually be protective and even bullet proof to a various array of different calibers of gun. im not saying its gonna be absolutly safe against bullets, but in the case that it was even shot at, it has a higher probability of ricocheting a bullet rather than it going through the steel. not to mention i would certainly be able to line the entire suit with kevlar or another bulletproof material to actually make it safe. i just think it would be cool to have a legit ironman suit that will actually keep you safe in some situations, and function as closely to the one in the movie as possible. i have the upmost respect for anyone else that has attemped/ succeeded building a suit of this nature. like i said, its a challenge; and i want to see what im capable of. thank you for your comment. God bless.

Dude, please keep in mind that I am being 100% real with you and am thinking of nothing but your safety at this point.

THIS SUIT WILL NOT DEFLECT BULLETS!!!

I hope, for your sake, that you do not test this hypothesis.

lol i would never try to take a bullet in this thing, no worries there. like you said, its a hypothesis. even tho i know first hand that at 15 yards a 9mm bullet will not penetrate 14 gauge p.n.o. steel. but thats irrelevant cosidering i would never try it. but i do think that i would rather be IN the suit if i was getting shot at, rather than a hoodie and jeans lol

its definitly a badass idea... id do it too. as for now, i guess ill just stick with being a boss in paintball and airsoft bb gun fights.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back