Doctor Doom: My FIRST ever build!

LucasMcFly

Howdy y'all!

So, I recently went to my first Comic-Con (something I've been wanting to do for a very long time :lol)and straight after I was already planning on going to the next one and thinking of my costume. I'd noticed there weren't all too many villains (seems almost everyone wants to be a hero!) so I started to think of the villains I know of. Almost immediately I'd decided on who I was to be and started searching for info on how to build (I want to do it right and not just go out and buy one, :p ) and my search led me here via a post from Tastyburger about his Doctor Doom build (guess who I'd decided to be?!).

Anyways, this introduced me to pepakura and I've just begun working on a paper version of Doom's helmet (hosted by Lord Magneto I believe). Thing is, I'm gonna need help,... I've never crafted anything of my own outside of basic things at school and looking through some of the threads, I'm not sure of the materials you all use, lol!

I'm hoping this will be the first of many builds and there's a lot of talent out there and I'll appreciate all the help I can get and will post updates as I go and images as often as I can.

Once again, hi!!!!

Lucas, I'm so glad to see some others going the "evil" or villain route. SOOO many more cooler stuff can be built on the villains.

Listen, I'm trying to get my fx/ prop making stuff off the ground. Got some experience but always looking for more stuff to do. If you need any help with mask making etc, let me know. Most of my work is latex / silicone (noob to silicone) But have made resin pieces etc in the past for various star wars fanatics etc. I have no molds so everything will have to be custom made.

PM me if you want to swap ideas or something. Can't wait to see some progress pics coming.

Anyways, this introduced me to pepakura and I've just begun working on a paper version of Doom's helmet (hosted by Lord Magneto I believe). Thing is, I'm gonna need help,... I've never crafted anything of my own outside of basic things at school and looking through some of the threads, I'm not sure of the materials you all use, lol!

For most pep files, the materials you are going to end up using are cardstock paper for the pep print, white glue, fibreglass resin, fibreglass cloth and bondo. Add to that lots of sandpaper ranging in grit from 80 to 1000 depending on how smooth and clean you want the final look to be. Sandable/filler primer spray, and color coat (final color of the helmet) and what "kind" of paint/finish you are trying to achieve.

Just a small list of items you might want to have on hand. When I did my own Doom helmet, I was privileged to snag a copy of a pep file that in its own right looked awesome, but for me, I went one step further and used the very base essentials of the file, and used Sintra to sculpt out a whole new face, based off various combinations of reference art from many different sources. It took slightly over a month to complete, and at time, I wanted to toss the whole mess into the trashcan and start over, and I am glad I did not. In my sig is a link to my ongoing build. To get a rough idea of what I am talking about, feel free to visit it.

Ill be keeping watch upon this thread :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back