Maryfoxfirebird

While I'm waiting for my cap suit I figured I will work on the shield. I bought two shields with the intention of gluing them together and coating them w plasticdip thus making them stronger without adding weight. I'm also making brackets out of sintra to mount the leather straps.

image.jpgimage.jpg Me with one of the shields and mockup brackets out of cardboard. looking into magnets as well.

Just get both inside and outside rough enough to get the glue to stick. The clips can be removed with a bit of prying or you could dremel then off. I used the dremel to avoid cracking the shield but others have removed them with screwdrivers and putty knives. Good luck!

Just get both inside and outside rough enough to get the glue to stick. The clips can be removed with a bit of prying or you could dremel then off. I used the dremel to avoid cracking the shield but others have removed them with screwdrivers and putty knives. Good luck!
. Thanks for the heads up :)

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg Sanded, wiped down, glued and weighted. We'll see what we have this time tomorrow. I kept the clips in cuz I'm tired of dealing with them. If there's still some gaps...liquid nails should sort it out :)

image.jpg New shield bracket mock ups the ones w writing on them are my rough free handed draft and the plain ones are Valors diagram for the spun shields with a to scale wrist bracket. What is the best material to make the brackets out of? I've seen sintra and thicker foam heated to the contours of the back. Thanks for your suggestions:)

Sintra is your best bet. You can also use it to make the buckles. I have also seen people use some metal hardware screwed into the sintra that worked pretty well. Foam would not do you much good under the stress that the bracket can take. I even split one of my sintra brackets with some rough handling.

You can see how I put my brackets together on my disguise shield here:
http://www.therpf.com/f78/captain-a...costume-friday-premiere-pics-page-3-a-205836/

Sintra is your best bet. You can also use it to make the buckles. I have also seen people use some metal hardware screwed into the sintra that worked pretty well. Foam would not do you much good under the stress that the bracket can take. I even split one of my sintra brackets with some rough handling.

You can see how I put my brackets together on my disguise shield here:
http://www.therpf.com/f78/captain-a...costume-friday-premiere-pics-page-3-a-205836/
. Awesome work and I love your suit. Looks like I'm following the logic you did on stiffing up the shield. I'm waiting on the sintra so I can glue that on and then plasticdip the whole thing for painting.

There should be no need to plasti-dip the shield. The texture from plasti-dip is very uneven. Just sand the shield lightly with 440 grit sandpaper and use a good plastic primer and you are good to go. Avoid the plasti-dip for this project, you will regret it in the end.

In fact I never repainted the front of my shield from the factory colors. I just weathered it and added the bullet hits. I only repainted the back to make it silver.

Any suggestions for the plastic primer? I'm on the fence about repainting it. It would look cool with more metallic coloring. I'm sure after the primer it will be ready for whatever I deside. Did you clearcoat it to protect it? Thanks for answering all my questions. :D

Krylon makes a good rattle can plastic primer. I like the Rustoleum Universal if you want to do it in one step. It bonds really well to lightly sanded plastic. I did not clearcoat it as I have found it usually dulls the metallic/glossy finish of your paint.

There are a line of paints that you can find in your local autoparts store that recreates the powercoat look of the red and blue colors that turns out quite nice. Kinda spendy rattle cans and the look is not shockingly better than the colors that come on the Disguise shield already. Always to a test on some scrap plastic before committing it to your shield!

Arrgh glued my shields yesterday and checked on them just now.....glues still wet and no adherence. It's been really cold in my workshop so I've wiped off the old stuff and applied fresh glue and brought it in the living room where it's warm. Fingers crossed it works

Why don't you use one shield and put a few layers of wonderflex thermoplastic on the back to stiffen it up, or buy a metal wire wreath frame from a craft store and glue that to the back of the shield they make them in 24 inch and 18 inch sizes.

Ok I bought the wrong glue.....e6000 spray adhesive rather than the tube or gorilla glue....d'oh. Good news is when it's clamped together it feels much more solid. Sintra has been ordered and arrive next week.
image.jpgimage.jpg I rescaled the belt holders and they measure even with my brackets. Fingers crossed I'm hoping to be ready for painting or rub n buffing next week :)

Gorilla glue saves the day :) waiting for the sintra and I can start work on the back of the shield. Is it better to go with 3m mounting tape or stick with gorilla glue?

On to trimming the shields didn't totally line up and mesh together I'm slowly shaving off the difference. Sintra will be in on Monday so I can really get going. I'm trying to get the shield ready for Portland comic expo on Sunday going as street Steve Rogers.
image.jpgimage.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back