DancinFool - Iron Man Mark 3 Pepakura Foam Templates

Dancin_Fool

Hey Everyone,

After getting started on a Mk 6 foam build I've fallen in love with foam. I haven't bothered making a thread for my build since there's already a million foam builds out there:lol

So with all the foam building going on I figured it was about time I converted my Mk 3 over to more of the foam format. I based my conversions on Stealth's great work he did for Robo's Mk4/6 found here.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/robo3687-iron-man-mark-4-6-pepakura-128147/

If you're looking for the helmet, boots, or gloves I recommend checking out the unfolds in Stealth's thread.

For anyone without a PC j0wE has coverted the pdo's to pdf's
Dancin_Fool's Iron Man MK3 Foam Files in PDF
Dancin_Fool's Iron Man MK3 Updated Arm PDF
So here we go all my files converted and ready to go, hope I didn't forget anything.

armls.jpg

IronManMk3_Arm.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

absdw.jpg

IronManMk3_Abs.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

backdongles.jpg

IronManMk3_BackDongles.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

calff.jpg

IronManMk3_Calf.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

calfdongle.jpg

IronManMk3_CalfDongles.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

shouldero.jpg

IronManMk3_Shoulder.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

shoulderdongle.jpg

IronManMk3_ShoulderDongle.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

necka.jpg

IronManMk3_Neck.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

pelvis.jpg

IronManMk3_Pelvis.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

sideabs.jpg

IronManMk3_SideAbs.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

spinel.jpg

IronManMk3_Spine.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

chestf.jpg

IronManMk3_Chest.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download
IronManMk3_ChestDongle.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

thigh.jpg

IronManMk3_Thigh.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

backeei.jpg

IronManMk3_Back.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Last edited:
No problem, I'm looking forward to seeing some builds.

If anyone has any suggestions or adjustments about the files please let me know. Once I finish building the Mk VI I'm going to have a go at building these files.

That's awesome. Two questions. Do we ignore the lines that are inside of the pieces? We just need the shape correct. Or do the lines show where the pieces curve?

That's awesome. Two questions. Do we ignore the lines that are inside of the pieces? We just need the shape correct. Or do the lines show where the pieces curve?

Most of them yes you will probably be fine just ignoring them, just keep in mind that they're caused by what should be some curvature in the final model so you might want to blast that piece with a heat gun to help preserve where the curves should lie.

Another thing I wanted to note is that I have a lot of detail lines in my models which I took out of the unfolds. What I do to preserve the details is that when I'm cutting 45 degree angles on the edges my foam pieces I save the little scraps and then glue those between the pieces where the details lines would go to preserve the final shape of the pieces.

I don't know if that totally makes sense from just reading, here's a picture of my helmet where I used the technique to keep the detail lines on the side and around the mouth.

52297010150860075553583.jpg

Most of them yes you will probably be fine just ignoring them, just keep in mind that they're caused by what should be some curvature in the final model so you might want to blast that piece with a heat gun to help preserve where the curves should lie.

Another thing I wanted to note is that I have a lot of detail lines in my models which I took out of the unfolds. What I do to preserve the details is that when I'm cutting 45 degree angles on the edges my foam pieces I save the little scraps and then glue those between the pieces where the details lines would go to preserve the final shape of the pieces.

I don't know if that totally makes sense from just reading, here's a picture of my helmet where I used the technique to keep the detail lines on the side and around the mouth.

52297010150860075553583.jpg

Thanks. Not sure I got the explanation but I think I can figure it out from that pic.

I can't believe I missed this thread, those files are amazing!
I started a mkVII build and did an entire arm that ended up looking way too big IMO..

I'm 5"10' (1m78) and a pretty lean and fit guy.
How do you think I should scale these files ?

If Randy kept the scale the same as his reg pep files (1.525) than IMO I would not scale these at all. The scale mentioned is for a 6' tall average build person.

I can't believe I missed this thread, those files are amazing!
I started a mkVII build and did an entire arm that ended up looking way too big IMO..

I'm 5"10' (1m78) and a pretty lean and fit guy.
How do you think I should scale these files ?

If Randy kept the scale the same as his reg pep files (1.525) than IMO I would not scale these at all. The scale mentioned is for a 6' tall average build person.

It should be the same as my old files but when I brought in the human model and scaled it to 6' the scale wound up at around 1.6. So in theory the default scale should work out to 6' but something might have got lost in translation.

I took the liberty of making the files into pdfs. DF if you'd like you can put this link in your OP. Or if you'd like me to remove it just let me know.

Dancin_Fool's Iron Man MK3 Foam Files in PDF

That's fantastic J0we, thanks, I'll add the link to the first post.

Since you have a picture up here of your helmet, DF, let me ask you. Did you bevel the edges of the top and bottom to create the "trench" in your helmet or did you space them with a small piece of foam on the inside... or both? :)

Is that what you meant by using the scraps of foam for detail?

I spaced them with scrap foam strips I had leftover from cutting the 45 degree angles into pieces.

You'll get a better shape this way because those detail lines aren't in the adjusted foam templates.

Sorry to bother you with so many questions. Given that the scrap pieces are smaller and thinner, does the helmet get flimsy/bendable at the detail lines, or are the thicker pieces enough to hold the helmet together?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back