Captain America Shield (UK Production & 1st Thread)

Clark HD

Hi everyone,

Currently about to attempt a build for a Captain America shield for a client here in the UK.

I gathered various information regarding dimensions from these forums big thank you to Valour for his help with some of the trickier aspects. Contacted a friend at a metal spinners here in Newcastle,United Kingdom and 2 weeks later I've just picked the finished spun shield blank.

I truly had no idea what to expect for what I paid, but I'm very happy with it, there's no indents on the back like the movies but this isn't an issue. Looking forward to the next few months getting this done.

web shield 1.jpg

web shield 2.jpg

web shield 3.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Clark HD

Last edited:
Managed to lay down the blue coat for the shield today. Just a few shots, as always the weathers rubbish here in the UK so can't get any outside in natural light.

taped blue.jpg
blue3.jpg
blue2.jpg
blue1.jpg

Looks good mate , how many coats did that take to achieve that finish ?

I did 3 coats in total mate. Two light ones and then a slightly heavier third one waiting 10 minutes in between the coats, pretty much what is said on the can actually worked out really well.

I did 3 coats in total mate. Two light ones and then a slightly heavier third one waiting 10 minutes in between the coats, pretty much what is said on the can actually worked out really well.

Looking really nice.
Which company did you get the spun shield made up with?

Thanks
Jamie

Looking awesome man. What paint are you using? Everywhere I look people seem to be using duplicolor or testors but I can't for the life of me find either in the UK and it costs an arm and a leg to import. I found VHT anodized paints but the red seems a tad too dark.

Looking awesome man. What paint are you using? Everywhere I look people seem to be using duplicolor or testors but I can't for the life of me find either in the UK and it costs an arm and a leg to import. I found VHT anodized paints but the red seems a tad too dark.

Unfortunately I am using the VHT anodized paints, I've ordered duplicolor from the states 3 times now only to have my orders cancelled a few days later by the companies. I believe this to be because of safety issues transporting the paints via air, and the more i've looked into it, it seems pretty much impossible to get them imported.

The blue is a nice match but the red is a little dark but I can live with that I'm pretty happy with the result so far.

Managed to get the VHT red done tonight, it is a tad darker than the movie shield but for us UK folks it looks like the only anodized paint available. I've suffered continuous disappointment with companies cancelling orders for duplicolor due to them not willing to ship to the UK.

There's no clear coat on the shield yet and a few spots where the paint has come away on the center red ring around the edges, due to the blue tape being pealed away but I think I'll be to touch it up with a few coats on a fine brush as the areas are so small.

red1.jpg

Quick shot in the garden while the sun was out.

red2.jpg

I need to remake a star as it's slightly small and only stuck on with tape here for the full effect, overall I'm not happy with the stars finish so will get to making a new one this weekend.

Thanks for checking in.

That does look very good mate and the red is not as dark as I thought it may be , my shield blank arrived on Thursday but due to working this weekend I won't be starting it just yet ,as you know I will also be going the vht paint route, the paint supplier I mentioned to you could not promise me Duplicolor any time soon.

Looks good. The red is definitely passable. How long did you wait for the blue to dry before you covered it up and moved on to the red? The blue peeling up is generally a sign that you didn't wait long enough.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I am using the VHT anodized paints, I've ordered duplicolor from the states 3 times now only to have my orders cancelled a few days later by the companies. I believe this to be because of safety issues transporting the paints via air, and the more i've looked into it, it seems pretty much impossible to get them imported.

The blue is a nice match but the red is a little dark but I can live with that I'm pretty happy with the result so far.

It's a shame we don't have all the lovely paint options :( But it looks like the red has actually come out quite nicely on your shield, I think I'd definitely be happy with that result :)

I'm still going to continue looking for a slightly different shade of red before going with VHT but after seeing the way yours turned out I wouldn't mind going with those paints.

Re: Captain America Shield (UK Production & 1st Thread)

Looks good. The red is definitely passable. How long did you wait for the blue to dry before you covered it up and moved on to the red? The blue peeling up is generally a sign that you didn't wait long enough.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The blues fine it's actually the red centre ring, I used very thin blue tape to mask the circles when peeling it away some of the reds has taken to the tape and come away only on the edges I've started to touch it up using paint in a cup and a pin striping brush looking good so far.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a shame we don't have all the lovely paint options :( But it looks like the red has actually come out quite nicely on your shield, I think I'd definitely be happy with that result :)

I'm still going to continue looking for a slightly different shade of red before going with VHT but after seeing the way yours turned out I wouldn't mind going with those paints.

Yeah I'm very happy so far, the Duplicolor would have been nice but no real complaints. To get an even spray I used a lazy Susan bought cheap from Wilkinsons in the UK placed the shield on it, and slowly rotated it while spraying about 6 inches away, for the red there's around 5 light coats to build the colour.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the comments guys!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back