"Captain America, how exciting!" TWS TFA Rescue USO and Ultimates WW2

Re: "Captain America, how exciting!"

When I first had jacket problems, my wife volunteered one of her old jackets. She had a suede patch work with knitted cuffs. I was a nice offer but couldn't help for the movie uniform but it would have future use.

I had no idea for a pattern and no head bust to work from so I wrapped my head in tissue and then masking tape in a mirror. After some cutting I had a pattern.
More like DC comics "Unknown Soldier" but I took the bits and transferred them to the packing paper.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/5xxecez7d/]

[/URL]

Last edited:

I didn't cut up the suede jacket but disassembled hoping to learn how to make better sleeves and the internals of a jacket.
The inside of the suede was a nice looking smooth leather and very thin.

I couldn't get a pencil or chalk to draw a good line so I scotch taped the pattern to the leather.

Last edited:

Ordered a pair of goggles from Amazon.

The bottom edge of the mask is a length of 550 cord with the leather rolled over.

Last edited:

I wondered what to do for the sweater since it was a turtleneck. I knew the RAF and submariners wore white turtlenecks in WW2. I have a US five button sweater but that was brownish green.
Found an LL Bean four button sweater in mountain red
Ragg Wool Sweater, Button Mock: Henleys and Zip-Necks | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
and just wear it backwards.

UltimateColorTest2.jpg

While I like your method of running the suspenders through the strap slider Fly if you look again you will notice there are actually three All purpose strap ends with D-rings visible... and they are stitched onto the suspenders. One is also done over each of the original metal bracket mounted D-rings at the Y-points. I went over the hi-res shots of this setup in great detail.

On the jacket, you could've just done a search on me in here... I am the only guy doing an exact replica of the Cap jacket out there right now.
captain-LC2.jpg

CapCasual.jpg

the pic here was with the licensed shield, I'll have to get updated shield/outfit pics with all the distressing together at some point.

TheMan, Please feel free your not stepping on any toes. I am sure that many have done this uniform and I hope even more join in. It may be movie accurate but the straps don't need to be cut and the general purpose strap is only on the right shoulder in this picture.

FB-04442R.jpg

Very cleaver. I see the problem now. Good eye. That is why you are "TheMan".

Looking at the pictures even closer shows that I have the wrong 1936 suspenders.
You and the movie have the first issue pattern while I have the later metal re-in-forced suspenders.

Very Important tip.

Sadly, I didn't know about you or LogansCloset.com when I started. Most of my planning was done in a relative vacuum. I found RPF because of Chris Field's shield work. Yet, Very happy to learn about this and hope to get one of your jackets but chances are it will be a year out.

Last edited:

Thoughts on my "ultimate" uniform.
The mask doesn't fit very flush on the sides in front of the ears. Just enough space to ruin the effect.
Guess it is because of the goggles, could have put wire inside the 550 cord to force the edge to hold its shape. May get a venetian mask from amazon and glue it inside the leather of the front mask flap.

Jacket is fine for a first try. Need to do better on sleeves and stars. Could do well with a liner.

At least, it doesn't look like it was from gypsies.

Last edited:

Thanks,

Can add the USO shirt and do a Dick Percell. Just need the shield cufflinks, belt buckle and replace the boots with low quarters.

Last edited:
Last edited:

I posted this spoiler in Croschbach's build in the Props Forum.

The plan is to re-dye color by Croschbach with some surgery to emulate Logan.

Last edited:

On the shield front. Since I was using the PS3 game I needed a round shield. I had found Irishamericalad's tutorial on using a steel saucer else where on the net.

I thought, not knowing that Valor has already done similar, to use the steel saucer to make a movie/game/toy round shield.

Important to note: The game and toy have physical bumps from rivets. The movie shield has a spun detail on the star. Thanks Valor, Chris Fields, and Finhead.

All this work has been with a hacksaw and a metal file. The plan is for the outer ring of the brackets help reduce the flex of the shield.

Last edited:

Everything is now caught up.

I should have the thread and dye for the jacket late Thursday and I just got some new files to work on the shield buckles.

Going to work on the mechanics of the back before playing with the front.

Fly, thanks so much for the shield info. I love what you and Dan did with those shields and plan to do the same.

Also, I love this build! All the pics are great and you've got some serious talent for this stuff.

Very cleaver. I see the problem now. Good eye. That is why you are "TheMan".

Looking at the pictures even closer shows that I have the wrong 1936 suspenders.
You and the movie have the first issue pattern while I have the later metal re-in-forced suspenders.

Very Important tip.

Sadly, I didn't know about you or LogansCloset.com when I started. Most of my planning was done in a relative vacuum. I found RPF because of Chris Field's shield work. Yet, Very happy to learn about this and hope to get one of your jackets but chances are it will be a year out.

Actually, if you look closer in all the hi-res shots you will see you have the correct metal reinforced suspenders... I have the wrong "first pattern" set in this first try at the costume, but my second set was done with the correct version you have. Look at this pic and you will see that the metal with smaller D-ring section is actually under the All purpose strap D-ring section sewn over top onto the suspenders.
close-tab.jpg

can't wait to see how your jacket turns out Fly, looks like a decent start...

Here is a customer's outfit I helped get together along side the screen used stuff... and yes, they thought the outfit was so good they even let him hold a screen used shield you see there.

553293_3724399035374_1437833309_3435030_211660494_n.jpg

536055_3724386755067_1437833309_3435017_481366418_n.jpg

562938_3724392515211_1437833309_3435024_66525455_n.jpg

527300_3724680322406_1437833309_3435179_1647405061_n.jpg

I went through almost the same process as you Fly on the shield, although you found an even better price... I think mine was around $50.
I used a crappy whatpriceglory $12 Indy bag strap I had lying around... thought it was quite fitting since Cap-A director Joe Johnston actually worked as visual arts director on Raiders of the Lost Arc.
2011-10-10%25252013.29.24.jpg

2011-10-11%25252010.28.11.jpg

2011-10-11%25252011.55.20.jpg

2011-10-12%25252000.48.18.jpg

2011-10-12%25252013.52.42.jpg

2011-10-12%25252014.46.34.jpg

2011-10-18%25252019.30.06.jpg

2011-10-18%25252019.29.35.jpg

2011-10-18%25252019.32.05.jpg

my little bro in my outfit with second set of suspenders prior to color adjusting, and the metal medieval shield prior to distressing and bullet hole addition.

296691_10150336498043178_552613177_8323863_1275056767_n.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back