Captain America Airsoft Movie Style Shield

Fly4v

Sr Member
This is an individual breakout from my joint multinational Ultimates WW2, Rescue, TFA .... all things Captain America thread in the Replica Costume section.
There isn't anything new or different. It is just the old airsoft shield build in a easier to seach/follow manner without the rest of the stuff.

For a Comic style shield please check out Kromanc's build.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/captain-america-airsoft-shield-128030/

Last edited:

This was packed better than I package things. The box was wrapped in plastic and bubble wrap with the shield inside the box also wrapped in plastic and bubble wrap.

I was really surprised with the quality of the airsoft shield. It has some flex but not as much as the steel saucer with the outer ring removed. The straps on the back mount to metal tab inserts. The tabs are kind of far apart compared to the movie shield. The front handle is a non-elastic black nylon and the upper arm strap is elastic and almost stretches enough to toss over your shoulder. There is a pour mark on the back of the shield, centered on the star, but nothing is visible from the front.

The rings are cast and well defined on the front and back but minus the grooves between the rings. The star is raised and without detail. Oddly, the back of the shield has the spun detail but the front is smooth.

Also, I guess the manufacturer went out of business. A www.address was removed from the back of the shield and the markings were cut from the box with only the big picture of the Cap remaining.

I plan to engrave the star, spin the front and make some leather straps for the back. Have to think how to incorporate movie style brackets into the already existing metal tabs and if they will be metal or plastic.

For those looking of a shield and don't want to wait for EFX this seems to be a good inexpensive option.

Edit: To clarify, the elastic strap fits over the shoulder, just wearing a tee shirt, but not over my TFA shoulder pads.

Last edited:
Have I said how much I like the Airsoft Shield....
It is really nice having an all black shield when it is 28 degrees out. Kind of like having a little solar panel on your lap.

Engraved the star with a diamond tipped needle file. Drew the lines with a pencil with measurements based on the cover of the auction catalog.

The straps should look like something similar to this, just a little more involved.

The bracket under the leather straps will be made from sheet styrene left over from a Quest pulse rifle build. The outer ring will be deleted in favor of the Valor style of bracket.
I have some welded stainless steel rectangles on the way to go with the triangles shown.
Current plan, the arm bands will be free of the triangle and will attach to leather that will run from each triangle across the shield.
The cross strap should attach to the bracket via chicago screws in a similar fashion to the steel shield.

Last edited:
Was able to cut the brackets and get them roughly fitted.

Had enough leftover of the leftovers to fill the center void with a styrene star. Since I can't hide the void without serious filling and sanding think building the back side of the star as an insert is a good second.

Last edited:
Here is the source list of materials for the ah,,, budget:lol shield.

Chicago Screws 1/4" Plain 25 Pcs Np Silver
25 - 1.5 Inch Heavy Welded Rectangle Dee Rings
American Terminal CC-250-0-100 1/4-Inch Cable Tie Clamps
3 of Dickies Men's 35Mm Feather Edge Nickel Belt,Brown,44
Marine Hardware - Triangle Ring - WebRiggingSupply.com
Amazon.com: White Sheet .080 x 6 x 12: Toys & Games
CM 2FT Plastic Captain Shield (Black)

The shield is $145.09 materials, $73.06 shipping for a total of $218.15.

The brackets and straps (everything minus the shield) are $86.10 materials, $26.06 shipping for a total of $112.16.

Both costs are minus Paint, Thread, Glue, Tools, and Labor.

So the budget shield is almost half my guess for the aluminum shield.

The brackets have been made from sheet styrene so I didn't need to grind metal outside and retain the good flex of the nylon shield.
The sheet styrene was measured and cut into 2.5 inch wide strips using score and break. Just use a metal straight edge and a sharp hobby knife to score the line and then break the styrene by pushing down on the edge of a table.
This only works with straight edges. For curved holes, drill a hole at the intersection of the two surfaces and for a curved corner just file the point down to the contour using a nail file.

The leather straps are belts from Amazon. Free shipping! And I don't have to dye, punch many holes, stitch the edges, or buy the buckles. Find a good local sale or if possible a quick trip to Ross, or other such inexpensive clothing store, and the cost could be even less.
The steel shield was done with two belts. This time around I bought three so I could have more leather to work with and do the straps differently.

The leather cross straps attach to the brackets with the chicago screws. Drill a 3/16" hole in the bracket, it doesn't matter if the bracket is metal or styrene at this point. Also, punch matching holes in your leather.
The belts that I am using this time are padded so I have to remove material from the backside of the belts. This was done with an old stone grinding disk and a proxxon, any brand will do, I just prefer proxxon after destroying two of an other brand in less than a month.
If you don't want to do this buy wider chicago screws or unpadded belts.

Now when putting the bracket on the shield this is when metal vs plastic is important. The chicago screws are on the backside of the bracket and sit on the shield. For the Nylon shield I drilled a counter sink hole to accommodate the blind head of the screw. For the Steel shield I punched a lip on the metal bracket.

Last edited:
The angled part of the bracket has been shaped the same was as the straight long pieces just will more attention to detail.

My first version didn't line up properly under the short leather edge straps.... so I had to remake them. The remake is on top.
I could have angled the leather and made it work but the edge of the leather and the edge of the bracket wouldn't have been parallel.... or cut the grove and then the bracket would have been about 3/16" to 1/18" too short and the angle error would have been transferred to the outer edge.

The angled brackets are two long and two short. I will be able to cut the old longs to make the new shorts and then only have to make new shorts.

It is easier to make the center bracket and straps and then do the angles.

Last edited:
For the handle and arm cuff, use the free running end of the belt with the holes already punched.

The steel shield wasn't as involved as this one since those belts used a clip on buckle with an integrated loop.

Used a leather punch to make the front and back holes then cut the two straight edges with the hobby knife. This allows the pin on the buckle to pass through the belt.

You can see where leather was removed to help ease the fold and fit the buckle better.

Sewed the buckle on by hand cycling the belt in the sewing machine, put on the metal loop, did two other stitch lines and reinforced it all with a single chicago screw.

I kept one belt unaltered while moding the second so I had a reference for the orientation of the buckle and loop.

Last edited:

It was a race to get this while the sun was still out. The angles are the correct pattern but paper. Hopefully, will make the corrected angles tomorrow.

The spun detail was achieved using small squares of 60 grit sand paper and using the edge and molded rings as a guide. Spun the shield in my lap and dragged my finger with the little piece of sand paper.

The only thing glued is the center star. The two strips of the bracket are only clicked in place and held by friction with the original shield brackets. Rather pleased with the fit and feel. Once the rest of the bracket and straps are made... the bracket will be hot glued to the shield, all the leather will be removed and the shield will be painted.

Last edited:
Here are the templates for the angle pieces and the point of the filler star. This is an early posting while glue dries.

I have no idea what the tolerances or, should say, the variances between the production of airsoft shields were.
If in doubt, just use this as a guide and build each part individually on the particular shield so your parts will conform to the actual contour of your shield and fit perfectly to the factory mounting brackets.

Last edited:
The angled pieces of the brackets were completed.

Two 1/4" wire clips hold each welded rectangle and are attached with a 1/8" pop rivet. The styrene is sandwiched between the top and bottom of the clip to reduce the profile.
The rivet doesn't hold the backside of the clip, that is glued with super glue and held in the carved recess on the back of the shield.

Also, the 1/4" clips had 1/4 molded on top and would have been very visible. That was knocked down using a nail file.

Last edited:
The completed brackets were hot glued to the back of the shield using the yellowish glue sticks. I had both white sticks and yellow that came with the gun.

Started with the center strips and then attached the angled parts. Once all the pieces were attached and cooled. Ran a bead of glue along the edge to simulate a weld bead and make sure it all stays together.

The seams between the pieces will be quickly filled with putty. The small strips of leather will be made and fitted...then all the leather will be removed and it is painting time.

Last edited:
Was able to get the short straps installed.

The short length only allowed one chicago screw as opposed to the movie accurate two and the steel shield.
The screw and short strap are free of the bracket. This is opposite of the steel shield which had both the long and short strap chicago screws through the bracket.

The unpainted shield with the new bracket and straps weighs 4.6 lbs.

Last edited:
Yesterday, I was a day that was close to all the parameters for painting. Had already made a paint box in an outside closet and the shield was wiped down as best I could. Quickly sprayed the Dulicolor Chrome Enamel and left for the day. ...Sadly, Metalcast doesn't have a chrome or silver.

Got back late yesterday so didn't look at it until this morning.

I made two test strips of styrene coated with the chrome.
First, to see how the Metalcast lacquer reacts when sprayed directly on the enamel.
confused.png
Yes, I read that lacquer over enamel is not good but they are from the same company.
Second, to see what a coating of future does to the shine of the chrome. Hopefully, it will not dull the shine like the spray clear coating on the mounting ring of the steel shield. If that works then the Metalcast.

Last edited:
One color away. Not too bad for a hunk of nylon.

The future dulled the silver and turned it almost white but the test of the Red on the Silver was good so I continued without clear coat.
When it is all done, Guess I will have to seal the shield with a good coat of auto polish.

Last edited:

Was able to spray the blue today.
The weak part of the painting is the enamel chrome. I really wish Duplicolor had a chrome Metalcast because the car polish takes the enamel right off down to the plastic and did nothing but shine the Metalcast.

Think I will end up sealing everything with future and then go back and redo the silver with either Krylon Metallic or the Silver Rub and Buff.

Had a few chips that will require hand touch up from removing the masking tape

Last edited:
Here is a shot showing the back details minus the straps.

324129-airsoft-shield-25.JPG

Around the edge, you can also see the effect of the masking tape on the chrome. :thumbsdown The chrome should been good after an hour, I let it sit for more than a day and look what I got.
The lacquer has no marks from the masking tape at all. I think the small chips from the lacquer that lifted were due to the chrome underneath.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back