Iron Man (Age of Ultron)

Daleacre

Altering my thread!!

I have decided instead to do the Age of Ultron armour in time for the release of the film.
I was a fan of the sleekness of the Mk 42, but I didn't like the amount of gold on it. Now they repainted it, I'm all systems go!

Looking forward to posting my progress here! If anyone has any questions, please drop a post (or even PM me; I'm actually quite friendly!)

Thank you all,
Daleacre

PS. If anyone has any photos of the whole suit, may I see? I'd really like to get the colours right on the back of the suit too :)

Attachments

• iron-man-avengers-2.jpg
    iron-man-avengers-2.jpg
    966 KB · Views: 620
Last edited:
Re: Bleeding Edge (Iron Man armour)

Well, first off.......

Welcome to the RPF!

Basically, if I understand you right, you want 3d print models? If so, it probably would be difficult to find much through searching. Usually 3d print models don't come cheap, let alone for free. There are a couple threads on the board with free 3d print models, for the mk 3 and mk 42, but not full armors, just parts.

For the specific armor you'd want to make, I'd suggest commissioning one of the local wizards around here.

Hope it helps and good luck!

Thank you for the welcome :)

3D print files are easy. You just convert to an stl. I've printed stuff from google sketchup before.

I kind of blew all of my money on materials for the CNC, so I can't commission anything...

What I would like are obj files, or even files people have used to then convert to a pepakura document.
I can convert to an stl for machining easily through sketchup/blender.

I can find loads of pepakura files, but no 3d models around at all.
I don't understand why not, as people are giving away the pepakura models for others to make anyway.
If they aren't meant for usage, why publish them as pdo documents?

do you get what I'm saying?

Yeah, I know what you're saying. Using pepakura files can be tricky, though.

It's best to get the modeler's permission to convert for or print a pepakura model. Some modelers do not want to have the work printed, despite the fact that the model is shared freely. This is more so the case because many will sell or recast the work without permission, it's not anything they have against you personally.

Just ask, would be my advice. Find such model that you want to print, contact the modeler and ask permission. Can't hurt to ask, right?

If you need any help identifying any of the author modelers, just shoot me a pm and I should be able to help.

I think the idea with that is there is still a certain amount of effort and work required even after you have the files. The pepakura method takes hours and hours and hours of work. 3D printing is much simpler much faster and requires much less effort. Most people view it as sort of a 'copy&paste' from their hard work to a physical thing that you own. Pepakura is more of a guideline/template route.
Anyway if you ask nicely most would share i think, it's just polite i guess :)

If you've found Bleeding Edge peps, I'd love to be pointed in the direction of them. It's one of my favorites of the modern age suits. I'm also interested to see how this build goes. Subbed.

There isn't a pep, but there's a 3D model of the bleeding edge helmet on grabCAD. Apart from that, I'm struggling too. The bad side, as I think I've said before, is that the bleeding edge has no joints; the armour is fluid. However, I was thinking that a combo of edited movie armours and thin foam joints could give the same look? Feel free to post your own attempts in this thread too. I'd be interested in somebody else's take in such a beautiful armour.

Hit a rut.

I want to 3d print the boots for the suit to get an organic look. but...

I cant find any files of any boots, let alone any boots that look like the bleeding edge set.
Can anybody help? Either with finding existing boot models, or helping me design my own set of boots?

As for progress, I've printed my fingers and back plate. Printing the palm first thing tomorrow.
Also got my electronics ready to go, just need to make some code for my Arduino.

I'll conclude with my very own home brew arc reactor. (Though I might just end up using the lights for the suit instead of the whole thing...)

Cheers everyone :)
image.jpg

3D print files are easy. You just convert to an stl. I've printed stuff from google sketchup before.

I kind of blew all of my money on materials for the CNC, so I can't commission anything...

What I would like are obj files, or even files people have used to then convert to a pepakura document.
I can convert to an stl for machining easily through sketchup/blender.

I can find loads of pepakura files, but no 3d models around at all.
I don't understand why not, as people are giving away the pepakura models for others to make anyway.

do you get what I'm saying?
Don't know if it can be done in the free pepakura version since I bought the designer, but once the model is unfold you can export it to an obj file.

Hey there, I recently stumbled upon this guy here on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/0TGU2-f2Ksc

I guess his files are not for sale or printing and if so not for cheap. But asking can't hurt and maybe the community can get the hands on some new pep files too :)

Let me know what he says :)

Seb

Thanks a lot. That is a cracking find!
Ill see what I can do. :)

Ok. I checked a few of his videos and they're brilliant.
I want to do his faceplate design. And I like his joints; the cable design looks no nonsense.

No idea how to contact him though. There is no email button.
Anybody have any ideas/suggestion?

Last edited:

Thanks a lot. That is a cracking find!
Ill see what I can do. :)

Ok. I checked a few of his videos and they're brilliant.
I want to do his faceplate design. And I like his joints; the cable design looks no nonsense.

No idea how to contact him though. There is no email button.
Anybody have any ideas/suggestion?

You have to be logged in to your YouTube account and then send a message over YouTubes message system I guess :)

I cannot find any hand files that my makerbot is capable of printing.

None of the palm STLs I found have the required thickness.
I have a hand guard and hungers, but no palm...

I even tried adding thickness in blender, but that didn't work; the print lines just spaced out more...

Does anybody have a hand file?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    897.9 KB · Views: 259
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    978.5 KB · Views: 285

idk if this will help but saw this cover and thought it might make the build easier cause it doesnt have the smooth gold parts and makes it more like the movie. so it b all made from material goods ans no odd parts that can bend like cloths and skin

Progress update!

I have parts coming together! I just need to spray the helmet red.
The arm is totally done, and my arc reactor now has a reliable power source :)
Also, the palms are taking shape and the so is the circuitry. Updates when that's done!

I also have an idea for creating armour for the joints in the suit, but it's just a test.
Ill post it if it works (fingers crossed...)

Cheers,
Daleacre

Attachments

• Arc reactor.png
    Arc reactor.png
    200.1 KB · Views: 152
  • Forearm.png
    Forearm.png
    896.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Helmet.png
    Helmet.png
    801.1 KB · Views: 211
  • whole arm.jpg
    whole arm.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back