Black Widow's "Widow Bites"

Belleb08

I have decided for a few comic cons in my area I was going to cosplay as Black widow. Here is a picture of the majority of the costume:
Black widow so far.JPG

I was having a hard time trying to figure out how to make one of the key pieces of the costume, the Widow Bites. Here is what they look like in the Avengers movie:

avengers-widows-bite.jpg

And of course I wanted to figure out how to make them light up :)

I looked at using black plastic bullets and LEDs but they didn't have the right shape and give the right look. I also backed out of using the LEDs as they required a lot of work to incorporate and the amount of batteries to run the series of lights was crazy to try to hold on my belt. So I decided to use my handy Worbla and neon rope light. The lights I got off of ebay and are great to use since they are one solid light and you can cut down the rope to the right length you need.

sku087587_9.jpg

Now for creating the body of the Widow Bites themselves. I tried using a pattern and shaping them all at once but that turned out a hot mess. so I created a clay model to mold the Worbla over to try and keep them as even as possible. I then dremeled out the holes for the windows for the lights and then placed plexi glass to cover the openings.

widow bit sketch.JPG Widow bite progress 2.JPG Widow bite progress 3.JPG Widow bite progress 1.JPG

Next step is to add the bottoms and drill holes through them for the light.

...I wimped out and commissioned some solid ones. They look fantastic, but not so shiny as ones that would actually glow. Can't wait to see how things turn out!

I am trying to make them as close as possible but it has been hard without a proper shop. I might try and redo them in the future when I have more time and money with molds and fancy things. I had the Worbla on hand from working on my Wonder Woman costume. Going to my first comic con this month and thought I could get Black Widow done. I had her, Wonder Woman, and Lara Croft planned for a con in June originally. Wish me luck and I really hope they come out looking close enough for home made lol :D

I like your method for this build, the EL wire should work great - please keep us updated!

Been busy trying to get the bullets done and ready to paint. I put backs and plexi glass windows on the bullets, I also melted holes for the light on the side. Here is the final result:

final bullet pre paint.JPG

I also did a test with a few and stung the lights. Note: I am going to paint the plexi glass windows with a transparent or opaque black paint, so the light wont be as bright when finished.

Tester with flash.JPG tester without flash.JPG

Very cool! If you want a more even light you could use a larger gauge EL wire. That way it would be in the center and it could also be large enough to help hold the pieces together. Keep up the good work.

Very cool! If you want a more even light you could use a larger gauge EL wire. That way it would be in the center and it could also be large enough to help hold the pieces together. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!! yeah a larger light for the wrist piece would be good, but I was planning on using one string and attach the glove so I could run the light up the hand to the fist (Like the movie pic).

So I got the wrist part of the widow bites done for Awesome Con DC this past weekend. After trying them out and the wear and tear on them need to touch them out and add a protective coat. I painted the bullets with a gesso primer, about 3 coats, and then satin acrylic all surface acrylic paint for the body of the bullet and 3 layers on the lights showing between the bullets to black them out, and a very thin layer of the high gloss acrylic multi surface paint on the glass windows (Will take pics of the bullets with out the lights on to show that they are blacked out when not on). What I did to put together the wrist part was strung the bullets with the EL wire giving enough space between the bullets to curve around my wrist. I made an 2" elastic band that fit my wrist and left an inch gap in the back between the ends of the bullet string so that I could stretch the elastic over my hand. I then used the EL wire loops on the ends to sew the bullet string to the elastic and hot glued a couple bullets down in the front to keep the elastic in place. I also extended the wire length to the battery pack so I could run the wire down my sleeve and attach the battery pack to my gun belt. Note: I cute a hole in the side seam of the spandex suite to thread the wire out to the battery pack.

Widow bite 3.JPG Widow bite 2.JPG Widow bite 6.JPG

My next step for these guys is to get more EL wire and add the lights on the gloves to complete the final look.

That is so cool.I wonderd how to do that.Working on my wife's black widow costume.Not so much a replica but just a nice costume.Right now i just have part of her gun belt and knee pads done.here a few pic we took to post on RPF 1400188247616_IMG_20140515_170452_991.jpg1400188236718_IMG_20140515_170429_320.jpg

I really like the belt. I am looking to remake the body suit and not use the one I bought and I am also going to try to add the lights running up the gloves.

Re: Black Widow's "Widow Bites"

This is why I love this forum! Seeing members come up with different ways to engineer pieces with resources that are best available. Nice job and inspiring!

- - - Updated - - -

And I should have specified I was referring to the Widow bites that you made that was impressive engineering.

did you see the pic for the new avenger 2 movie.Black widow has new widow bitesView attachment 326821

Yeah I noticed in the Winter Soldier movie too that they had changed as well.

This is why I love this forum! Seeing members come up with different ways to engineer pieces with resources that are best available. Nice job and inspiring!

- - - Updated - - -

And I should have specified I was referring to the Widow bites that you made that was impressive engineering.

Thanks! I am very happy with how they came out. I am working on finishing up a few more costumes right now and then I will get back to finishing these up with the lights running down the gloves.

Wow thats great..... I'm worried about just finishing up (one) my Iron Man costume. Of course I've been working on multiple house projects so my costume time has just been planning and reference gathering with old tales of suspense comics. Cant wait to see.

hello all:

I am trying to find someone who makes/sells these ? My wife would like to be Black Widow for the upcoming SD Comic Con.. I have everything else except for these Bites..do you know who might make/sell them ?

Thank you very much
Dave
RPF- hardworkingguy2000

The work that went in to making the Widow Bites light up is very cool. They look really good. I remember reading somewhere that in Avengers; Age Of Ultron more of her costume would light up... they compared it to Korra from Tron Legacy. It'll be interesting to see some pictures...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back