Black Widow "Widow's Bite"

IceTray

Spent a long time here before ever registering, and then posting.
I feel like now is as good a time as any! Myself and the girlfriend are doing some halloween outtings this year as Ironman and Black widow. Ironman has been slow, but breezy - waiting for some better weather to finish fiber glassing the limbs.
Black widow is a pain though, she really wants the blue lights that go with the gloves in the Avengers.

I'm looking for input on what to use, and how to use it. Was considering EL tape or wire, but would prefer some helpful tips before spending the money on either of those.

Below are the reference images I've been using;
blackwidow3.jpg

blackwidow2h.jpg

blackwidow1.jpg

The first one is a still from the movie, the last two are renders from the end-credits.

Any input is appreciated.

Well the line parts on the glove and the pointy...things (I dunno what they are :p)...don't look like they're lit up as such, just like they are dayglow type paint, so I'd look into that. As for the two lights just above the knuckles, I'm sure you could rig something up with a couple of blue LEDs set into the glove with a small battery pack, which you could probably fit inside base of the glove, or maybe behind the pointy...things...themselves. Look at some of the ideas in Ironman hand repulsor lighting tutorials and it should be pretty simple to do.

Last edited:
If she is going to be wearing it, unless you are willing to get bigger gloves, it won't work. Sorry, this is with my own experiences. Don't take my information too seriously, I still am a beginner, like you.

go the EL wire and just make up an extention wire so you can run it back through her costume to the battery packs, even better hide the battery packs in one of BW belt pouches

Appreciate the input.
Berserk, I thought about EL wire, but the renders made me consider EL tape, however I have no previous knowledge of either one. Whats the best store online to actually buy from? The few I've seen look a little shady.

I'm gonna tackle this soon so I'm eager to see how this turns out, I thought the el wire would look bad ass even if ou don't have LEDs at the end but I've never used this before so tape might be simpler

go the EL wire and just make up an extention wire so you can run it back through her costume to the battery packs, even better hide the battery packs in one of BW belt pouches

Depending on how big the battery packs are, it might be possible to hide them just inside the sleeves at the wrist. I put together a Black Widow for D*con and I have the motorcycle gloves that are closest to what she wore in the movie. They are so thick right at the wrist joint that with the bites starting on top of the gloves and extending back over a little bit of the forearm, I had kind of a void under the back end of the bites past the gloves on the underside of my wrist. I almost could have fit my iPhone in there if I didn't want to be able to get to it while in costume.
For me personally, I'd rather have the packs close to the hands and not on my body so that if something goes wrong, we can fix it without my needing to partially strip :)
We are remaking my bites anyway (some of the resin didn't cure properly in the first set) so I'm going to ask my husband to if we can work lights in.

I plan on doing this too. After a lot of research and discussion, I've decided to do LEDs over EL wire/tape. EL requires a transformer, whereas with LEDs you can actually get sequential lighting and minimal battery size. I'll be using arduino to get them to power up/down and to control a 'taser" set of lights at the tip.

was going to work on it this summer, but other projects took priority. here's my build thread: http://www.therpf.com/f9/avengers-black-widow-taser-gauntlet-147885/

I plan on doing this too. After a lot of research and discussion, I've decided to do LEDs over EL wire/tape. EL requires a transformer, whereas with LEDs you can actually get sequential lighting and minimal battery size. I'll be using arduino to get them to power up/down and to control a 'taser" set of lights at the tip.

was going to work on it this summer, but other projects took priority. here's my build thread: http://www.therpf.com/f9/avengers-black-widow-taser-gauntlet-147885/

I'm curious to see how that will turn out. We decided to avoid the use of LED's very early on, and leaned more towards the EL devices, despite having to deal with a transformer and such.

Depending on how big the battery packs are, it might be possible to hide them just inside the sleeves at the wrist. I put together a Black Widow for D*con and I have the motorcycle gloves that are closest to what she wore in the movie. They are so thick right at the wrist joint that with the bites starting on top of the gloves and extending back over a little bit of the forearm, I had kind of a void under the back end of the bites past the gloves on the underside of my wrist. I almost could have fit my iPhone in there if I didn't want to be able to get to it while in costume.
For me personally, I'd rather have the packs close to the hands and not on my body so that if something goes wrong, we can fix it without my needing to partially strip :)
We are remaking my bites anyway (some of the resin didn't cure properly in the first set) so I'm going to ask my husband to if we can work lights in.

Were you the Black Widow with the EL wire that I ran into? Me and a friend saw yours and asked if it was EL or LEDs. Your setup looked really good and hiding the battery pack / transformer into the wrists blended in perfectly.

The battery pack and transformers are combined in one pack not much bigger then a 9v battery. Not sure if they will fit in the wrist section but you can try.

I bought mine off ebay from several buyers. The Chinese ones do take while with delivery.

I regards to the EL wire, I went through Ebay and it seems to come in large amounts, 5m-9m usually. Being that I'm not very familiar with it, to reduce the size, can I just chop off the end?

yes, you just cut it with some clippers or even scissors, the wire attached to the batterypack/transformer will still work

That definitely looks like EL wire to me in the pictures. Check out elwirecraft on eBay, UK based company, they sell lots of different EL wires tapes and sheets for a decent price.
The wires running along the glove looks really like an el wire stitched every centimeter or so. Plus they don't heat at all, useful when it's near flesh !

I'm curious to see how that will turn out. We decided to avoid the use of LED's very early on, and leaned more towards the EL devices, despite having to deal with a transformer and such.

With EL, unless you have a ton of wires running about and an arduino-to-el board in addition to your battery pack and transformer(s), you cannot get the sequential-lightup effect like the movie. you'll have a static glove. while there's nothing wrong with a static glove, i have decided to pursue the animated version. EL will work fantastically for static lights.

*also, don't forget this was quite likely a digital effect, so how things look and the effect they give are quite different

from what i understand, the effect is purely CGI.
blackwidow2h.jpg

blackwidow1.jpg

These images are CGI rendered and not actual real world props.
The shape of the bands around the "bites" is different than the real prop.
the real ones do not have beveled edges nor do they have lights in them.
see?
bwgloves.jpg

bottom half is mrs.slave1pilot's , not the real deal seen above it.

Yes, it is believed to be CGI, which is why the placement and setup of actual lighting is purely speculation.

Does anyone know a source of buying EL wire other than ebay? The shipping times are too long (They estimated 2-3 weeks) and the amount of wire per order is too excessive.

aeryn; Indeed, however due to time constraints we're just going for static, haha

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back