Another Star Lord build (cosplaysky trench coat received w/ pics 9/19)

MorbidCharlie

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A lot of progress done on this one, but not a whole lot I actually have in my hands yet. However I wanted to share the resources I've used to help others with their builds.

The boots - I'm not going to go with the Skechers identified in IronManiac's thread here. I'm a short guy, so I'm probably going to go with some boots to give me some height.

The spats - Will make these in the same manner that I made the belt.

The boot rockets - Someone is graciously 3D printing these for me a small fee based on xMENNENx's 3D model found here.

The pants - Looks like these were a custom job, so I searched for something comparable and decided to go with these:
$_12.JPG

The belt - Making this freehand myself. I wanted to initially sew this, but... I can't sew, so I made a non-sewn version from a thrift store trenchcoat, some metal piping, craft foam and contact cement. It turned out better then I thought it would. The belt buckle is craft foam that I "distressed" with a soldering iron and it is coated with Rub N' Buff.
20140718_051830.jpg20140718_051839.jpg

The shirt - Still haven't picked one yet, but this should be the easiest piece to settle on.

Going with the trench coat from cosplaysky as a base w/ modifications.
20140919_214026.jpg

The quad blasters - Custom painting the Nerf ones.
GOTG-STAR-LORD-QUAD-BLASTER-A7910-Closed.jpg

The helmet - Building a foam one.

Optional - Don't know that I'm going to do the orb because I don't want to have to carry it around or shove it in my pocket. If I have time, I'll do a foam build of a Walkman. I'm going to do some thrift shopping this weekend, so maybe I'll get lucky.

Attachments

• Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_Jacket_Chris_Pratt__86754_zoom.jpg
    Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_Jacket_Chris_Pratt__86754_zoom.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 619
Last edited:
Re: Another Star Lord build!

Those pants look pretty good, and with some modifications will definitely look the part! The belt looks great, too... Haven't seen anyone tackle it yet, so kudos for jumping out ahead of everyone!

Looks good so far. I saw those pants as well, but didn't pull the trigger because I was concerned about the fit.When they arrive, can you expand on how they fit for you in relation to the size you ordered?

Keep up the good work.

Okay, so the belt... real easy actually, and it looks a lot better then the picture. I freehand the general shape of the belt from reference pictures into a pattern. I haven't seen many pictures of the back of the belt, so I decided to leave it simple with no real embellishment. No one will see much of it anyway. After I cut the pattern out, I decided on a length and made two halves. The two halves will be attached at front and back so I can make size adjustments as necessary.

On the back of the leather I traced out the pattern of the belt and then drew lines on where the embossing would go. I then cut outside the lines so that I had extra to fold over to the back of the belt. Next, I coated the line areas with contact cement so that I would have enough to fold the leather on to itself. I cut thin strips of craft foam and coated three sides of it with the contact cement and laid it down inside the pattern lines and folded the leather over top of it and "pinched" it so that it stuck to the sides of the foam as well (I used 2mm foam) which will give it the embossed look. Same technique for embossing the inside of the belt except you won't fold the leather over, you just lay down the foam onto the line and pinch the leather into the sides of the foam again. For the metal part, I just curved tubing found at Hobby Lobby until it was inside the line of the pattern and folded the leather over it the same as I did with the craft foam.

That make sense? :confused

Re: Another Star Lord build (jacket and pants have arrived!)

Jackal
The pants came in and I'm pretty pleased with them. The size I ordered fits snug, but in a good way. The picture shows that they may have a tint of blue, but they are DEFINITELY black. The sizing from the company I ordered from was good. I was also able to easily remove the logos from the knees and the side pocket. Same for the jacket. My jacket is not as red as the others I have seen, it's definitely more burgundy, but it works for me. I threw on the pants, jacket and belt today for a quick photo shoot. Still need to finish the rest, but I like the way it looks so far. Because the pants are so black, a lot of the detail gets lost on a phone camera, but here's a couple of shots of me mugging.

20140722_212419.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

From EBay - the description is:
MENS ARMORED MOTORCYCLE PANTS TEXTILE BLACK W/ KNEE PROTECTOR SIZE 32 33 34
36MENS ARMORED MOTORCYCLE PANTS
TEXTILE BLACK W/ KNEE PROTECTOR SIZE 32 33 34 36

And the seller was: shineyangtang

From EBay - the description is:
MENS ARMORED MOTORCYCLE PANTS TEXTILE BLACK W/ KNEE PROTECTOR SIZE 32 33 34
36MENS ARMORED MOTORCYCLE PANTS
TEXTILE BLACK W/ KNEE PROTECTOR SIZE 32 33 34 36

And the seller was: shineyangtang

So when you bought the pants, they were listed as size 32 33 34 36; did they confirm the size after you won the bid?

The belt - Making this freehand myself. I wanted to initially sew this, but... I can't sew, so I made a non-sewn version from a thrift store trenchcoat, some metal piping, craft foam and contact cement. It turned out better then I thought it would. The belt buckle is craft foam that I "distressed" with a soldering iron and it is coated with Rub N' Buff.
View attachment 350540View attachment 350539

That belt looks GREAT.

So when you bought the pants, they were listed as size 32 33 34 36; did they confirm the size after you won the bid?

Correct. They ask to send the size you want after the auction is won.

That belt looks GREAT.

Thanks! I actually went back and added some more work to it. Looks even better now IMO. :)

IronManiac - sure thing, here you go. Using the same method, I put larger pieces of foam and pinched them in between the edges, then weathered it with black acrylic around the edges.

20140723_203320.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

That turned out nice. And you only used a contact cement to bond it? I'm going to try to make one soon, any advice?

Oh man, I really like that. That's going to be one of my projects this weekend!

Glad to see the model being used, hope it comes out nicely for you. I've been working with Kevin Gossett to make further improvements so feel free to get with me if you have any suggestions/questions.

One thing we've changed is what we're calling the crown of the rocket, made it thicker because there was some warping issues happening during the printing.

Here is the updated file stl file

http://www.4shared.com/file/3GF2ctcNce/rocket_p1_v3.html

Last edited:

That turned out nice. And you only used a contact cement to bond it? I'm going to try to make one soon, any advice?

Just take your time and make sure to let the cement sit for 10 minutes, per the instructions. Use something that won't tear the leather to push it against the foam strips (I used my fingernail and the rounded end of an Xacto blade). Pinch it on the side you can't see as well as the side that you can. I don't have the pattern in a digital format, but make sure that you leave enough leather outside of the pattern that you cut to roll it to the back

Glad to see the model being used, hope it comes out nicely for you. I've been working with Kevin Gossett to make further improvements so feel free to get with me if you have any suggestions/questions.

One thing we've changed is what we're calling the crown of the rocket, made it thicker because there was some warping issues happening during the printing.

Here is the updated file stl file

http://www.4shared.com/file/3GF2ctcNce/rocket_p1_v3.html

Great! Kevin is the one printing it for me. :p

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, there is NO reason the same method used to make the belt won't work for the spats. I'll be using the same method.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a close up of the pants that show off the detail as well. I removed the side pocket and logos. Aside from the striped stitching on the thighs, I think it's damn close. I'm going to add the side "holsters" as well. Same method as the belt again.
20140723_204024.jpg

Nice find on the trousers! Here I was thinking I would have to attempt to scratch build the whole thing.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back