3D printed Iron Man mark VII

tehfailsafe

After seeing all these awesome suits I decided I want to make as Iron man mk VII suit. I tried to make it with pep, but after trying to cut and glue the hand I got so discouraged I gave up. Then I saw this amazing thread by Talaaya and knew what I had to do. http://www.therpf.com/f24/3d-printed-samus-varia-suit-186414/

Convinced my wife to let me buy a 3D printer, but only after I actually have the model ready to print. That spurred me to finally learn to 3D model fully. I have been doing low poly 3D for 6-7 years or so, but never got super deep into high poly subd surfaces. I also have some zbrush organic modelling experience but not hard surfaces. Think I'm starting to get the hang of it though.

I am basing it off Josh Herman's shots in his portfolio.

mark7_photo_allup.jpg

I decided to start with the shin and work my way up. I really liked how he has that little twist added to the front, really wanted to capture that.
shin_v1.jpg

Next will be adding details in zbrush:
shin_v1_zbrush.jpg

Last edited:
Re: [yet another] Iron Man mkVII

Wow man that's awesome !
hey you might want to modify your blueprint since its a panoramic render you will have some proportions issues !
subscribed for sure !

Thanks, big compliment coming from you!

I haven't found any blueprints to go off of, do you know of any? I've seen a few decent mkIIIs, but not VII. I asked Josh Herman on CGHub if he would be so kind as to do ortho renders, but unsurprisingly he didn't answer me. :lol

So I'm not going off a blueprint at all, just eyeballing it. I haven't even had the renders as a background layer, that messed me up more due to the lens distortion, Instead I just have it up on another monitor and for reference.

Decided to practice a bit on the mkIII since I have good otrho views of it. Banged my head on the wall a bit on the VII thigh.
Once I get some better modelling skills under my belt I'll come back to the mkVII.

Going to rename this thread and keep on going.

mk3_1.jpg

mk3_1_wires.jpg

Re: 3D printed mkVII

Long time since I posted!
Finally got a printer, though I had to build it from scratch instead of buying it. I found some open source deltabot plans and went to work. It's up and printing decent, enough to get overall shape and form to size. Went back to the mkVII since it's really what I wanted to do from the start and I was lucky enough to be able to "borrow" a sideshow lifesize bust.

Anyway, pictures!

helmet_main_viewport.jpg helmet_main_fit.jpg 2014-10-21 20.51.09.jpg 2014-10-21 20.52.12.jpg 2014-10-21 20.53.14.jpg

Quick test-fit before sanding and attaching parts of the helmet. it's definitely tighter than I intended, but works and being that tight should help the proportions.

2014-10-22 11.24.51.jpg 2014-10-22 11.25.04.jpg2014-10-22 11.31.53.jpg

The lower chin area is much thinner on the sideshow bust, but my jaw won't fit in there if I make it that tight. Or I could rescale the whole helmet size up but then I risk making the head too large for the body in proportion. What do you guys think?

Quick test-fit before sanding and attaching parts of the helmet. it's definitely tighter than I intended, but works and being that tight should help the proportions.

View attachment 393064 View attachment 393065View attachment 393066

The lower chin area is much thinner on the sideshow bust, but my jaw won't fit in there if I make it that tight. Or I could rescale the whole helmet size up but then I risk making the head too large for the body in proportion. What do you guys think?

Thats looking awesome, my personal opinion is keep it as is... Nothing worse than a great looking suit with a bobblehead helmet, lol. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you were with the 3D printer... Wife's given the go ahead, but I have to complete all the renovations on the house first, so I should be getting mine in ( what feels like ) 50 million years...

Looking forward to seeing this suit come together....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bit of both. I wish I could use zbrush for everything on it, but while it's really fast for concept work its really hard to be accurate to the mm (for me anyway). I start with the base form in 3ds max and leave out most details, then bring it in to zbrush to sculpt panel lines and small details.

Though now with the 3d printer I'm breaking out the pieces more so each can be printed alone then attaching them together to create a "real" panel line from the two parts, and almost no zbrush.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back