TDKR Catwoman build/costume study ( pic heavy )

Well I just consulted my mom ( she works in the fashion industry) and she thinks she figured out how they made a no Seam front and no seams on the outer thigh look. So we're going to try to figure it out this weekend.

Well I just consulted my mom ( she works in the fashion industry) and she thinks she figured out how they made a no Seam front and no seams on the outer thigh look. So we're going to try to figure it out this weekend.

seam is inside the thighs and up the butt (you can see it in this pic)

DarkKnight+catwoman+outfit.jpg

I have a friend interested in making one of these costumes, I have passed on some of the info you have posed about the boots etc. She is now looking into the parts. I watch this thread with interest.

So I played around some more with super tiny swatches, and I think I actually made something interesting.

First, I did more puff paint on the top and sprayed with Plastidip. I think I was too close to the fabric when I sprayed and that is why the coating looks so bad. The edges that got a lighter coating look better. The coating is staying on my fabric and not rubbing off when I mess around with it.

Plastidip 20120820 by Faille, on Flickr

The next thing I tried, was two layers of puff paint on the backside of the fabric. Then I kind of wrapped it around this rod I had, and hit it with a heat gun for a few seconds. Really I was just screwing around, trying to see how long it would take for the PUL to start to burn/melt. I ended up with this:

Reverse Puff 20120820 by Faille, on Flickr

The area to the left of center is where I was really concentrating the heat, and the other areas I didn't really pay much attention to.

This is what the backside ended up looking like:

Reverse Puff Back 20120820 by Faille, on Flickr

The puff paint got flattened against the rod i was using, which helped the fabric form around the puff. No idea if this effect will last, but it's been about 30 minutes and it still looks ok.

The puff paint is pretty forgiving with this method, but without a good way to stencil the paint on I don't know if I could pull off an entire suit done by hand. I'm not sure if a high-density or puff screenprint ink would work the same as the puff paint for this effect, but I think that is my next step. Suddenly the method Lindy Hemming was talking about of "screenprinting the underlayer" seems much more achievable. If only I had access to a real screenprinting machine.. it's going to be a yudu screen and a craft embossing heatgun for me until I can figure out if this will actually work! That or I'll be on the phone with all the screenprinting places in San Diego, trying to find one that is up for some small scale experiments.

Wow, Faille, AMAZING developments! Can't wait to see where it goes!

Also wow...

I just found out that plasti-dip spray is $11.99 in the States... AND FREAKING $22 FOR THE SAME SIZE CAN IN CANADA.

Why.

WHY!?

T_T

Last edited:
Wow, Faille, AMAZING developments! Can't wait to see where it goes!

Also wow...

I just found out that plasti-dip spray is $11.99 in the States... AND FREAKING $22 FOR THE SAME SIZE CAN IN CANADA.

Why.

WHY!?

T_T

Hey all! I actually started an additional Hathaway Catwoman costume page on Facebook if any one would like to join in the fun.

Thank you for starting this thread, the more help the better. I am still figuring out myself how to get that embossed "pill" printed on the fabric.

Here is my TDKR Catwoman research thread. I as well as the other members have already posted tons of photos and alot of useful info. about the costume here, please join :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/272270992872663/

Yey for the FB group!

I want to share want I found about the boots, aparently they were made by UK shoemakers; The Botterman Empire: The Dark Knight Rises
Still struggling with the fabric and a thigh budget (dammed argentinian economy!!!)

I had that page linked in my initial research, but I guess not a lot of people start reading at the beginning of a thread as not a lot of people seemed to have saw it! :lol Here's the site for the actual shop for the shoemakers. Thanks for bringing it back up, though! Very useful for anyone who may have missed it!

Going to get some plasti-dip spray and test it out on my textured fabric. SO EXCITED TO SEE THE RESULTS. I have a very good feeling about it.

Also, if anyone wanted a closer look at the heels that she wears, I was able to take a photo of it from the dark knight book.

IMG_3155.jpg

Finished a larger swatch of the puff paint method over the weekend. Here is a quick snap of the fabric stretched over my dress form, without any heating. The scale of the bars are off, so I will need to try again with a more compact pattern.

I did the puff paint without stretching the fabric. When I tried a small test with it stretched, the paint became more concave when it was relaxed again. It looks a lot better when it is stretched after the fact.

Tried throwing it in the dryer on the steam cycle to hopefully shrink it up and that was no go. Figured I would take a few pictures before destroying it with the heat gun! Need to figure out the optimal way to heat to get the pulling around the puff paint without making it shiny.

Finished a larger swatch of the puff paint method over the weekend. Here is a quick snap of the fabric stretched over my dress form, without any heating. The scale of the bars are off, so I will need to try again with a more compact pattern.

I did the puff paint without stretching the fabric. When I tried a small test with it stretched, the paint became more concave when it was relaxed again. It looks a lot better when it is stretched after the fact.

Tried throwing it in the dryer on the steam cycle to hopefully shrink it up and that was no go. Figured I would take a few pictures before destroying it with the heat gun! Need to figure out the optimal way to heat to get the pulling around the puff paint without making it shiny.

Wow, Faille...you are REALLY tempting me to sacrifice my sanity on this one. :|

That last swatch you did, was that just puff paint on the reverse side of PUL? Or was it a spandex/stretch fabric that you sprayed plastidip on?

It is just the puff paint on the reverse side of the PUL. Doing it on the reverse hides a multitude of sins with the uniformness (or not) of each of the bars. To get the lines somewhat consistent I bought some sticky-backed stencil material from Michaels and used an ollllld wood burning tool that I begged my BF to dig out of the garage to burn the bars out of the stencil.

I'm still really curious what a high-density ink screenprint would look like, but I don't know if I want to go that route. Puff paint is looking pretty good and better on the wallet. Maybe I will see if someone can do a small print on a t-shirt machine after the scale of the pattern is worked out. That swatch was about 6 x 12 inches and my hand HURT at the end! But, if MCL34N and all the other ASM people can do hours of puff paint we can too, dammit

Have you been able to make any progress? Or are you stuck in a tower embroidering your Rapunzel still :) I think you already know something about sacrificing sanity after seeing your beautiful work on that build!

It is just the puff paint on the reverse side of the PUL. Doing it on the reverse hides a multitude of sins with the uniformness (or not) of each of the bars. To get the lines somewhat consistent I bought some sticky-backed stencil material from Michaels and used an ollllld wood burning tool that I begged my BF to dig out of the garage to burn the bars out of the stencil.

I'm still really curious what a high-density ink screenprint would look like, but I don't know if I want to go that route. Puff paint is looking pretty good and better on the wallet. Maybe I will see if someone can do a small print on a t-shirt machine after the scale of the pattern is worked out. That swatch was about 6 x 12 inches and my hand HURT at the end! But, if MCL34N and all the other ASM people can do hours of puff paint we can too, dammit

Have you been able to make any progress? Or are you stuck in a tower embroidering your Rapunzel still :) I think you already know something about sacrificing sanity after seeing your beautiful work on that build!

Thanks for the quick response!

Haha! Still in that tower. That's what worries me, I don't know how much sanity I'll have left to handpaint the bars. :lol

Did you buy your PUL online? I have about 1000000 bookmarked and they look different in every advertised photo. :|

Yeah, at that point in the night when I should be going to bed, but instead I keep checking RPF, then Facebook, then another board, then Facebook, etc :)

Got the PUL at Spandexhouse.com the Vinyl Matte one, NOT the Leather Look Vinyl.

Here is the link to the page that has the one I bought:
Vinyl- 4 Way Stretch

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back