TDK Foam Pattern, Design, Costume Build. ( PIC Heavy)

kalkamel,

one more question. How did you print out templates for the back? the pic with the back pieces is too small? did you redraw them?

I just printed them at the appropriate size to fit the chest that I made. They're pixelated but the general outline is there.

Just completed the shoulders, which are easily the biggest pain in the ***** in this build thus far. I didn't use Sonjou's pattern for these but rather wing it myself based on screencaps and reference pics.

Here's where I am currently:
tdk2.jpg

tdk1-1.jpg

The paint needs some touch-up, particularly where the foam color is showing but otherwise, I'm pretty stoked. Just the side straps, the back spine and the gauntlets left to do and I'll have the upper armor done.

The shoulders are by far the biggest pain I have encountered. Took me about 10 dollars worth of foam to even get it to look decent and getting it to look symmetrical is absolute torture.

True that. I almost gave up because I couldn't get the shoulders to look like I want them to. I think I spent almost a week on the shoulders alone until I was satisfied. The rest of the parts should be easy from hereon. :)

in case anyone else has issues printing patterns, the shoulder and gauntlets are sized at 11x14. That's why they don't scale right when being printed on 8.5x11. You'll need to rescale it.

hey sonjou,

I got a question. I'm trying to build my tdk from foam, but I want to make the shoulder/back/chest one piece. Kinda like a football padding you just put on. Your template is all different pieces glued together.

One of the other memebers posted a pic of the underside of the TDK armor from Kris.

sZTm0.jpg

UleG4.jpg

Can you help me understand how i can take that jpeg into illustrator and turn it into a template or even if illustrator is the right way to go about it.
Hi Obsidiank - can you (or someone who knows) share the thread that these images are from?

This looks awesome, btw. I'm very inspired to make my own now!

Hi Obsidiank - can you (or someone who knows) share the thread that these images are from?

That is a Hells Kitchen armor build by Darranged:
http://www.therpf.com/f24/tdk-r-build-log-155306/

And a huge thanks to everyone who's posted anything in this thread, I'm going to be starting a Halloween Dark Knight build this weekend. Seeing everything from Sonjou's templates to everyone's build photos will be a very big help.

I cut the shoulders to size then heated it with a heat gun and stricter it over my knee to get the bell at the top of you look at my build and I used the 4 sheet packs of the thick stuff I did alot of trimming down

Those gauntlets look amazing, wonder what the finished product will look like...

For some obvious reason I can´t make out, those materials used cost a helluva lot more in Germany than in America.

Just completed the shoulders, which are easily the biggest pain in the ***** in this build thus far. I didn't use Sonjou's pattern for these but rather wing it myself based on screencaps and reference pics.

I couldn't agree more, making anything "rounded" out of foam is extremely difficult. Here's mine:

578842_10151201444391663_1340521768_n.jpg

neck file wont open for me, i get an error message that says its corrupt :/ anyone else?

*edit - re-downloaded and opened with Paint, printed fine

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back