Red Hood WIP

Luis Rodriguez

Hello everyone ! I'm working in a cosplay of Red hood for use it in comic-con international this year ! i just started with the cutting and assemble of the pepakura file that i found. This is my progress until now :)

picture011.jpg

First i made the one in the left (in regular office paper ) for practice and see if it would fit in my head, wich don't :p, so i change the size of the model and used cardstock instead of office paper. i'm still thinking if i should use epoxy resin or polyurethane resin for the strengthening :B

Already finish the asseemble of the helmet ! it fits me but with a little difficult, so i think that i'll have to cut the back so i can easily use it. Do yo have any advice for this ?

picture012.jpgpicture013.jpgpicture014.jpg

The nest step is strenghtening. :)

Depends on what you mean by "a little difficult." Any well-fitting full-head piece is going to be tough to get over the cranium. You could try trimming away the bottom perimeter enough for it to fit over your cranium, but just be wary since you run the risk of compromising the overall shape.

I think i will take that decision when i make the strenghtening, maybe don't be necessary to trim away a part of the helmet if like you say any well-fitting helmet is going to be tough to get over the head :p , thanks, i will continue with this project soon, right now college is absorbing my time :p it's my first time doing this so i will be going slow

I had to do this to mine also....the fit was tight. So I took my dremmel and followed the bottom edge of my helmet without taking too much away. Just enough for my head to slip on...just take your time

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thank you , jajaja actually i'll do the armor but first i want to finish the helmet ... i think that use foam is the best thing for that, right?

Finally found some time to continue with this ! i put a few layers of resin on the inside and outside of the helmet, today i'm going to cut the fiberglass coat in pieces to start putting it on the inside.

DSC_0002.JPGDSC_0004.JPGDSC_0003.JPGDSC_0001.JPG

i tried to put the layer of fiberglass on it, but my resin is over, i was able to put only a few fiberglass.... Fiberglass should be the most messy thing in the world o_O

Do you have any advice for the lenses ? i don't what could be the right way to do that part :O in my research saw a that some people use clear plastic with glass paint to get a mirror look and some others use car window tint... what would you suggest ?

p.s Tomorrow i will upload some photos of the helmet with the fiberglass :)

After 6 paint brushes, it's done :p ...i just put one layer of fiberglass in the inside, and 2 layers of resin ( without fiberglass ) on the outside, i hope that will be enough strengthening :p now i'm going to trim the fiber that protrudes in the edges , with a dremel.

Next step: bondo body filler :)

DSC_0639.JPGDSC_0640.JPGDSC_0641.JPG

Let the sanding begin !

Ok... first time using body filler ... this still have a lot of imperfections, as you can see in the images, there is more work ahead :p
advices and constructive criticism are welcome :)

DSC_0009.JPGDSC_0005.JPGDSC_0006.JPGDSC_0007.JPGDSC_0008.JPG

It's looking good! Remember, don't stop fixing those imperfections until you're happy with it. Then wait a week, and if you're still happy, paint it. Otherwise you'll just regret all the little imperfections.

As for the lenses, a common thing I've seen people do is use painted mesh. While you don't get the cool reflective feel you would get from using actual lenses, the mesh helps you breathe a lot more. So you really just need to figure out which is worth the trade-off. Keep up the good work!

i realized that the helmet... despite that i had to make a bigger model ( the one that i put the resin and bondo ) so it can fit in my head... it's really hard to fit ( almost the same that the small one ) and when finally can make in my head in it, looks really big :/ ... i don't know if i should continue with the model i have, or get another one ... or modify the smaller one so i can put my head inside of it... jaja I think that i will never try to do a free model of a helmet again :(

Nah, get creative with it!

With most people's skulls, the cranium is the biggest part. In any form fitting helmet, it is going to be very difficult, or impossible in some cases, to get your cranium past an opening that is supposed conform to your jaw. Once you have the helmet in a workable solid state, you can cleanly cut through the back fourth (or third, depending on preference) of the helmet, then use some sort of mechanic to easily attach and detach that back component so you can more easily get your head in and out of it. Popular methods are snaps, magnets, and velcro. Measure three times, cut once (preferably with a small detail tool like a Dremel), and the end result should still leave you with a fairly uniform looking helmet while it is on, but one that can easily be removed as well.

looks great buddy!! Ive used mirror lenses from sunglasses, for any costume that needs that reflective look to the eyes, most are made of plastic and can be picked up pretty cheaply, they are also very easy to cut down to the required shape. hope that helps. looking forward to see how this continues.:)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back