The Definitive CW Arrow Thread

I made the mask myself. It's 3-4oz veg tanned leather. Full wrap-around straps.

And thanks for creating your own thread. As much as I love seeing what everyone is doing (I really do!!), this thread was never intended to be the place for it.

Awesome! I'm making one its a work in progress. Any more pics of it? How did you cut the slots that are going around the whole thing? If you have a thread already, forgive me and could you give me a link. Thanks!

I actually haven't gotten that far with my build yet (I still have a touch more sanding to do on the riser), however, the runes/symbols/whatever is next.

Tvayumat, Primrodo, daviddorio, JBRepilcas, harmfulAdam, and a few others have all done a great job with their woodburning. Send any of them a PM and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to send them a PM

Although they are all bound to vary with manufacturers, my wood burning pen came with 5 interchangeable tips which screw on to a threaded end, I used the tip that is about 1.5mm thick.

Any recommendations on bow strings for the season one bow? I ordered one from flemishbowstrings.com on the recommendation from another thread but it's totally wrong. I ordered od green(the owner's suggestion upon seeing the sdcc pics, should have been a lighter green as this one is almost black) with tan serving and tan loops. I received an od green string with black serving and od green loops. When I emailed to tell them it was wrong they apologized for the incorrect color serving but was told they couldn't do different colored loops as their loops are "twisted." I couldn't care less what their normal construction is as I'd sent them pictures and told them repeatedly exactly what I wanted. They offered to make one in the correct serving as a free replacement or a refund less shipping. Definitely not recommended for your season one bow.

So again, any recommendations for a correct style and color string?

I am working on that exact issue right now with a bow string maker :) been emailing back and forth since I got his strings and slightly wrong in colour as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me know what you find.

One other thing. I've been going back and forth on the chock finish and am just not satisfied with it. I've looked at electroplating, etc(I'd like a great looking chock regardless of the condition of the sdcc chock) and the best option I've come up with is having one coated in titanium nitride, the same stuff that those gold drill bits are coated with. It would be a tough, permanent, great looking finish, and although not accurate to the sdcc bow, it should match the other hardware a little better. I've checked around and many of the companies that do the service only want to deal with big industrial orders but I found one company(there may be others, but these guys seemed reasonable and interested) that is willing to do a minimum order of coating twenty chocks for fifteen dollars a piece, for a total of $300. This is just for the plating, not the chock itself. I've found the chocks for slightly under ten dollars for a total of around twenty five not counting shipping both ways and to the customer. I know pinder and prim got a great response on the cap nuts so I was trying to get a gauge of interest on this.

Here's some examples of the coating. Cool thing is the finish matches the finish underneath. Polished is polished, brushed is brushed, etc.

On stainless exhaust.
Ti-N1.jpg

csteel_31_5.jpg

JC7_1383.jpg

This thread just got good again!!

Any recommendations on bow strings for the season one bow? I ordered one from flemishbowstrings.com on the recommendation from another thread but it's totally wrong.

Kittlemeier, the problem with a flemish twist string is that it is totally wrong to begin with. We need an endless loop string. They are completely different in construction.

Recurves seem to be very limited when it comes to string material. Either Brownell B-50, BCY B55, or BCY 652 Spectra seem to be the only options when considering actual functionality.

I was/am looking into building a string jig/stretcher.

Last edited:
Saw this thread and fell in love with the new Arrow even more. I had plans to try my hand at the Smallville version (for my girlfirends inner lady ***** over Justin Hartley) but think this will be more lasting, and, possibly more usable outside of a costume.

First contribution: Boots.

Granted I do not have access to lots of sewing and leatherworkers, I did go on a footwear spree. I found this Dr Martens that have a nice nod to Arrow's details.

Dr. Martens Caden Buckle Lace Boot Black Fine Haircell - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

The boots tops seem to have a nod to the wrap of the shows. Granted you could easily color the bottoms with some black dressing, and, black marker on the welt stringing.

I am looking too at the details of the bow and wondering with the home modding, how do you have to do to make it con friendly? I'l be in Dragon Con coming August so I am wondering what I could do to make it more crowd friendly but also not pose the dangers. I thought about taking rubber atring so I could pose with a drawn string but would lack any sort of pull power to launch a real arrow. Thoughts?

EDIT: On the boots, forgot to mention: granted the details drive me crazy, I suppose at some points I would be willing to draw a line. A plus to with new boots, versus used if you were to try and find some, would having your feet's wear pattern already in them. After being in Atlanta's heat and miles of walking, a functional and comfortable costume is EVERYTHING.

For string-making and archery supplies, try 3rivers archery out of Ashley, IN. Got their catalog in front of me. They have a jig for the endless loop string but its like 260.00 complete(doesnt look like it would be that hard to build). They do have all the string making material and lots of books/dvds on string/arrow-making.
Looks like the also have the Zwickey broadheads and maybe even the bows too. They even have the stuff to make the flint broadheads too.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Here is a link of the seller where I got my string. http://bit.ly/QiUGao
this is the closest that I could find. The string is the correct color. And the serving is really really close! And like someone already said the sting needs to be a endless loop string. Not a Flemish twist. B50 string material is a really good string material and probably the most common. Also like above the easiest string jig a board and two nails or screws as far apart of the length of string you need.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised that the Kestrel comes in just a bit shorter than the Ragim. Oh yeah, I bought a Kestrel. :devil

E8B29B87-AAFF-4A30-9505-1915336D76EC_zpsajcoayow.jpg

Last edited:
Awwww.... Dude I'm so jealous of you right now... I can't even afford the Ragim haha

Thanks, Chris. I'm really happy with it. Looks like I better get used to Ramen for every meal for the next few weeks. :lol

Anyway, back to the topic of "CHOCK COLOR/FINISH".

Ever since I started looking into working on this project, I had a theory on how the chock got it's color as well as explains the chips that show the polished(-ish) surface underneath. Here's mine in 3 different lighting conditions.... What do you guys think? This is just paint.

DF8E94DC-9245-45EE-8763-92BB806352D1_zpss5ancdy4.jpg

Last edited:
Pinder how much was the kestrel and where did u order yours from

I paid retail (it still hurts), ordered from one of the few Oneida dealers in the state (only 3 currently, even though Oneida is only about 2.5 hours away from me). Amazing experience. Amazing bow. And I'm seriously looking into making castings of it to offer as a kit for you guys that are looking for something con-safe.

Nice I bet it does hurt haha 1400 is a lot for a bow but it's probably so worth it oh and do we know what the arrow rest is for that bow it's not on there site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Chris. I'm really happy with it. Looks like I better get used to Ramen for every meal for the next few weeks. :lol

Anyway, back to the topic of "CHOCK COLOR/FINISH".

Ever since I started looking into working on this project, I had a theory on how the chock got it's color as well as explains the chips that show the polished(-ish) surface underneath. Here's mine in 3 different lighting conditions.... What do you guys think? This is just paint.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l...C-9245-45EE-8763-92BB806352D1_zpss5ancdy4.jpg

You've nailed it, I am 100% certain it was painted, the expense to plate several chocks for the show just wouldn't make sense

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back