DCUO Cyborg Batman - Build Update (Cowl Sculpt) w/ Pics - 11/19/12

CombatMatt

Hello RPF'ers,

Just wanted to quickly say Hello and extend my sincerest admiration and gratitude for all the members and contributors here at the rpf.com! So many incredibly talented individuals creating so many amazing works with a variety of mediums and skills is beyond…AWESOME!

My name is Matt; I’m a 28 years old and have been a High School Art Teacher for 7 years. My interest in creating costumes/props/suits/characters stems from my love of Halloween. Foam Latex prosthetics, stilts, and Latex mask making, foam, cardboard, etc. I’ve dabbled in it all and have tried to incorporate most of these techniques and mediums in my classes. Needless to say, I have a lot of fun doing what I do…
I stumbled on the RPF when researching an Ironman build for my 20 month old son (Indy’s thread was just…well, you know). Fast forward…and I went from lurking to joining to (now) posting my own build thread. Looking forward to next Halloween and my son loves Batman (hope he still will in a year, yikes).

Initial Start Thread
Concept: Blur Studios Cyborg Batman -DC Online Fractured Future
Time Frame: 11 months
CyberBatmanConcept2.jpg

I’ve found some pretty solid reference material, but does anyone know of / or have any other decent references for this build? Any previous build attempts I can check out? Thoughts? Material suggestions? Any insights are welcomed and appreciated!

I will be updating this thread sporadically as time (and life) dictates.

-Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: CyberBatman - Blur Studios Concept - Build Thread

I cannot wait to see this finished project. I found this, looks like the "Monster arm concept."
CyberBatman_02C_WIP3.jpg
You might want to take a look at some Batman Beyond or Arkham City tech that he uses if you're going to do any props.

Re: CyberBatman - Blur Studios Concept - Build Thread

I cannot wait to see this finished project. I found this, looks like the "Monster arm concept." You might want to take a look at some Batman Beyond or Arkham City tech that he uses if you're going to do any props.

Sno - Thanks so much! Awesome reference, plus great advice to take a deeper peak at Arkham for some additional ideas.

Last edited:
Re: DCUO Cyborg Batman - Blur Studios Concept - Build Thread

Just wanted to post a couple pics of my son (20 months) in his Ironman costume this year. The overall build was tons of fun! But, I had to be careful not to go over-board considering his age, comfort-level, and mobility. So, I had to tone down some of my plans just a bit...

Build included...
Helmet w/ Magnetic Face Plate
Chest Plate with Arc Reactor (Lighted)
Back Plate
Hand Repulsors (Lighted)
Shoulder Bells
Thigh Plates
Iron Boots (my favorite items)
Iron2.jpg

Iron1.jpg

Quick bump...

I've been looking around (search-city), but I havn't been able to find any reference builds? Any help? Azreal Suit Builds? Pep-files?

Looks like this might have to be a scratch-build...challange accepted!

Tonight I'm starting the basic sculpt of the cowl using monster clay. My plan is the cast the neck piece in latex with foam attachements for the chin-to-ear cybernetics. I think this will give me the needed flex for movement. Option 2 would be to modify a standard Ironman neck piece. Has anyone coated latex with Plasti-dip? If so, how'd it go?

Definitely open to ideas!?!

Also, I will scupt the entire head-piece for casting, plus I can use it as a drape reference for a foam helm.

Hope to have some pics uploaded tomorrow if not tonight!

Cheers!

-Matt

I love the little Iron Man! I've been thinking of doing something VERY similar for my son. It looks like you used the simple kid's fabric costume for the base and built the chest armor, boots and a few other pieces to go with?

As far as the Bat goes, I think the cyborg arms in the concept pics either look too bulky or too fragile (and not pracical for a costume build). What about going more sleek like Automail (cybernetic attachments in Fullmetal Alchemist) http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100413133902/fma/images/a/a5/Chapter81.jpg

I love the little Iron Man! I've been thinking of doing something VERY similar for my son. It looks like you used the simple kid's fabric costume for the base and built the chest armor, boots and a few other pieces to go with?

As far as the Bat goes, I think the cyborg arms in the concept pics either look too bulky or too fragile (and not pracical for a costume build). What about going more sleek like Automail (cybernetic attachments in Fullmetal Alchemist) http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100413133902/fma/images/a/a5/Chapter81.jpg

Thanks for the reply Ronin!

Yep, I started with a SuperHero Squad Ironman Suit to "fill the gaps" and bulk out the proportions a bit, while ensuring that it would be comfortable. Worked out really great, except for the legs, which I wasn't totally happy with. But, my son loved it! He was Phew Phew-ing everyone at the parade...haha!

I like the idea of a modified concept for the cybernetic arm. Definitely something to consider changing from the original design.

-Matt

Update #1: Early Stages of the Cowl Sculpt

Got an chance to spend about an hour or so on the cowl sculpt tonight. I blocked out the general shape of the neck piece and slowly started to refine the form. Not sure, but I think I might sculpt the entire head piece in order to nail down the concept...
C8EF96B7-9E75-4386-AC5A-EC60D7AAE00F-726-000001210EEF5F7A.jpg

93BB3B80-6BEA-47AF-8E20-72E3A886855A-726-00000121398BB188.jpg

840A2123-6C69-4AE9-9EF2-FF952B2A9F43-726-0000012149622274.jpg

Last edited:
Re: DCUO Cyborg Batman - Build Update (Cowl Sculpt) w/ Pics - 11/12/12

I can't wait to see this...

Thanks Judge! (Love the Avatar!)

Update: #2
I had another hour or so to work tonight, which I used to further block out the basic cowl form. I think it is coming along pretty well, at least I like the direction its going...I think. Each concept seems to have some pretty distinct differences, so I've decided to complete the entire cowl sculpt before piecing it for molding or foam construction or both.

As always...crits and comments welcome!
C9D2691A-D677-4528-8249-032826B546D1-1428-000001940E4E34F9.jpg

AE426AC9-FB5E-45E3-B887-076718B82AED-1428-00000194038BB894.jpg

27994B29-B31A-42C1-BA00-7F24212C6D91-1428-00000193F8731A5B.jpg

Re: DCUO Cyborg Batman - Build Update (Cowl Sculpt) w/ Pics - 11/13/12

this looks class! deadly concept! dying to see that robot arm!

Re: DCUO Cyborg Batman - Build Update (Cowl Sculpt) w/ Pics - 11/13/12

The sculpt is coming along well! Keep it up!

Thanks Samp!

this looks class! deadly concept! dying to see that robot arm!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to tackling the arm. Should be fun!

Update: #3
I was able to spend some additional time today in further refining the sculpt. Still a lot to do, but I'm getting some good feedback!
6C5B2A1C-FA5D-4018-9DF8-1EFD05C3295A-1718-000001B324AB25CA.jpg

CC0C7711-5E28-4E9A-96C1-1A33D37CFD5B-1718-000001B3482CED04.jpg

64B768C8-10D2-49A4-A8BD-06A3B1B52B76-1718-000001B335BDFC29.jpg

EA10169E-8621-440E-8FA4-952D74A9B4CE-1718-000001B3578FBED7.jpg

Re: DCUO Cyborg Batman - Build Update (Cowl Sculpt) w/ Pics - 11/14/12

Although I'm loving the look, I think the chin is a little too big and the jawline looks to be too rounded on the bottom edge. It should be a little more straight line to give it a stronger look to it. Just my opinion:)

wow, amazing work so far man!

I love chinguards. They just look so cool to me on masks/helmets.

I'm 50% on agreeing with the chin being too big. Only because I'm not sure if that's how you may have wanted to do it, opposed to the initial reference.

If that is the case then, I see no problem with that because I like it either way.

Although I'm loving the look, I think the chin is a little too big and the jawline looks to be too rounded on the bottom edge. It should be a little more straight line to give it a stronger look to it. Just my opinion:)

Judge,

Thanks for comments, I always welcome and appreciate critiques. After reading your comments and studying the pics, I think your right. The chin is too big and the jaw line is WAY too rounded. Def something that I'll address and change.
I think my cowl design will ultimately be two parts; with part 1 being the "neck-chin" cybernetics and then the upper cowl that attaches over the neck piece. I really want the upper peice to be removable so I can create a foam latex piece that showcases Batman's damaged eye and scarred facial features.

wow, amazing work so far man!

I love chinguards. They just look so cool to me on masks/helmets.

I'm 50% on agreeing with the chin being too big. Only because I'm not sure if that's how you may have wanted to do it, opposed to the initial reference.

If that is the case then, I see no problem with that because I like it either way.

STEALTH,

Thanks so much man! Big-BIG thanks for your build tutorials, which helped me out a lot during the construction of my son's mini-ironman!

Glad you're digging the vibe so far. I like the chin-guard, but I think you and Judge might be on to something with it being a bit over-sized.

Appreciate the comment / crit!

-Matt

I'm going to agree with the chin (and a few other features) being a bit too big. It just looks really heavy and bulky.

Other than that, I really like the way this is going.

Edit: Well it looks like you addressed that already.

Re: DCUO Cyborg Batman - Build Update (Cowl Sculpt) w/ Pics - 11/15/12

Update #4
After some great feedback, I made some alterations to the sculpt. Thinner jaw line, smaller chin...more Trailer-True (Judges Avatar) compared to the concept sketches. Long road ahead, but I think the changes put me on the right track.
3D732E9F-4F11-4A00-A17D-A3705EE95621-2336-000002909E60D4DF.jpg

44A9E980-4110-40A2-9EE3-DFC10BF76D04-2336-00000290A81E3020.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back