Building my own Macrobinoculars

almar bouwman

Sr Member
I'm thinking of making my own Luke Macrobinoculars. I've read almost every thread there is on this forum but I still need some help. What parts do I need?

These are the parts I know I need:

-Eumig Servomatic 8 mm
Eumig.jpg

-2 Kaligar 80mm 2.8 lenses
dsc00987fa1-1.jpg

-1 Kalimar 660 camera (viewfinder/2 spool spring knobs/2 lens rings if you use the lens plate from Russ)
0688_1_lg.jpg

-Lens Plate (Russrep)
-Seagull 4 camera (focusing knob/2 film spool spring knobs)
-Centre bar (sun dial) from Bell & Howell 220
bell-howell-220-1.jpg

-transition box
-Black Box (I've used a Minox B flash (silver, but they also come in black), but the Kalimar Strobe A Flash also looks good, so perhaps you can check that out).
Picture20272.jpg

blackbox.jpg

This is a picture off the real deal. The actual black box. I have no idea what it is. So if you do please let me (well, all of us) know.
macropart.jpg

All answers will be posted in this 1st post so it's easier for me (and you) to keep track.

EDIT: I've added some pics to make it a little easier for you.

Last edited:
Re: Luke Macrobinocluars help wanted

a lense plate from Russrep also on the front of the binoculars. not sure if he makes them anymore or not, you can pm him and see though. good luck with your project.

Does anyone know the type of Seagul camera I need for the knob?
I've already found some B&H 220 camera's on Ebay.

Looking at my macros, you'll need two kalimar 660s (if you're going for full original parts).

There are four silver knobs on the binos, 2 come from each kalimar. Which wasn't so bad, because it's probably the easiest way to get the two kaligar 80s and the viewer box.

-Fred

I'm pretty sure at least one of those comes from the Seagull.

You're right, I mis-phrased what I meant. There are 5 knobs total, the large one is from the seagull. The 4 smaller, identical knobs come from the 2 660s.

-Fred

You're right, I mis-phrased what I meant. There are 5 knobs total, the large one is from the seagull. The 4 smaller, identical knobs come from the 2 660s.

-Fred

No, I mean 1 of the 4 small knobs is possibly from the Seagull (in addition to the big dial). I don't think they're all identical.

There are 2 macro props (stunt and hero) each has 4 small knobs (8 total).
The Seagull knobs are taller than the Kalimar ones so they stick out further.
The lower (closer to the viewer) small knob next to the large dial sticks out further on both props - I believe those are the 2 Seagull knobs.
I'm 100% positive on the stunt, but I'm not sure if the stunt uses both small Seagull knobs or just one.

There is still at least one more unidentified still camera used (and one movie camera) for the two props.
The 2 Kalimar 660's yield 4 small knobs, the Seagull another 2, and 2 more had to come from another camera.

No, I mean 1 of the 4 small knobs is possibly from the Seagull (in addition to the big dial). I don't think they're all identical.

There are 2 macro props (stunt and hero) each has 4 small knobs (8 total).
The Seagull knobs are taller than the Kalimar ones so they stick out further.
The lower (closer to the viewer) small knob next to the large dial sticks out further on both props - I believe those are the 2 Seagull knobs.
I'm 100% positive on the stunt, but I'm not sure if the stunt uses both small Seagull knobs or just one.

There is still at least one more unidentified still camera used (and one movie camera) for the two props.
The 2 Kalimar 660's yield 4 small knobs, the Seagull another 2, and 2 more had to come from another camera.

Interesting. I thought all 4 of the smaller knobs came from the 2 660s.

Plus, there's that oddball mystery piece on the side opposite the knobs.

Maybe, if ANH gets properly remastered for HD/Blu-Ray, we can get a better view of that piece.

-Fred

Anyone has any ideas about the black box on the left of the binocs? I heard someone made a resin one?
Oh, and I still need that lens plate :love.

I just visited Chris' website Parts of SW and I read something about the Koni-Omegaflex M . Is it possible they used parts of this camera for the lens plate. Just look at these pictures. It sure looks like it.
koni_omegaflex_M_nu.jpg
flex_58.jpg

uscamera_1168b.jpg

I just visited Chris' website Parts of SW and I read something about the Koni-Omegaflex M . Is it possible they used parts of this camera for the lens plate. Just look at these pictures. It sure looks like it.

No, the Koni-Omegaflex is really out of date info. That was just speculation before any of the prop pieces were actually identified.
The lens plates were probably just simple aluminum plates. Russ' are a little fancier than the real prop since it incorporates the real lens mounting rings to allow them to screw in. The lenses on the stunt prop were just glued on (one fell off), the Hero was probably the same.

I changed that Parts of SW page to avoid any further confusion. No time for a real update.

Thanks Chris.
I've been thinking about it all day, examening various pictures and came to the same conclusion.
Now for the black box. Any ideas anyone? What to use, where to get it?

I still find Howard's Eumig lens cap theory interesting. I have one somewhere but I can't find the damn thing! I also have Howard's comparison picture... somewhere!

I think that pretty much everyone goes with their own interpretation on the black box. Just take some parts off the Eumig, Seagull, and other odds and ends and get creative.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back