BRAINIAC 17 Custom Build **updated with finished pics***

RevChumley

So this year for DragonCon I'm building my first comic character. I usually do movie/TV villains like Sark, Evil from time bandits, Sith Inquisitor, Scorpius etc..

I really wanted to do Brainiac so I searched for a more complicated version of him (well more complicated than a purple skin tight shirt and booty shorts) and came up with the DC online concept drawings, So I'm running with it. *** UPDATE*** This build has gone beyond doing a version of the MMO and had become more custom. I've pulled elements from many of the different versions of Brainiac.

I've never done a a foam build before and really wanted to try it out. I'll post my progress over the summer here. Tell me what you think! I know it's a variant, do you think people will recognize the char?

My whole flickr album https://www.flickr.com/photos/7495565@N03/sets/72157644670875975/ with more details and building pics

What I'm loosely basing it on: IMG_1405 by metaflibble, on Flickr

What I've got done so far:

IMG_1424 by metaflibble, on Flickr

IMG_1435 by metaflibble, on Flickr

Last edited:
Re: Armored Brainiac (loosely based on MMO Brainiac) build

Thanks! Yeah this is going to be some serious work. I'll post some progress pics this weekend!

I thought I recognized that Avatar from the old DCUO forums! You used to make incredible skill set guides!

Haha! Kristyana here...still do! They just added a bunch of new things to the game.

Can't wait to see! I could try to rip the ingame Braniac for you, but sadly there isn't a model in game that looks like the concept art.

Thanks EurobeatJester! But I'm just kind of basing it on the concept art so no need. I'll post some project pics here in a few minutes when they finish uploading.

Here are a few shots of the upper half of the armor. So far I've got the chest, arms, abs and cod piece roughed out.

Here is the back view:

by metaflibble, on Flickr

Front View:

Side View:

I've got some fine tuning to do, these were pretty much just a test fitting to see how everything was going to work together. This afternoon I plan on putting some strips of elastic on the back side of the segmented ab plates to keep them aligned with each other and to keep them from spacing out to much.

I'll also be adding some velcro to the back of the chest/shoulder plate to keep it attached to the under chest piece. (you can see in the photos that it rises forward at the moment)

I also added a magneticly sealed flap in the codpiece for.... uh.... convenience.

Abs:

image by metaflibble, on Flickr

Codpiece:

now with easy access!:

Anyone have any experience building platform shoes? I'm going to need about 4 or 5 extra inches in height to really pull this off, just wondering if anyone has built their own platforms and if so how they held up. I'd rather not have to spend 100 bucks on just shoes for this costume.

This build is awesome! Really impressive you're designing it from concept art to foam, looks amazing. Wish I had some insight to share on the platform shoes, I've read a few Megazord and such random threads that had different ways to make them. I'm sure the best way is floating out there somewhere, it's finding the one that can hold up that's the hard part,

Thanks RetailFox, I'll search around and report back on what I find as far as the platforms go.

Ok, after looking around seems the cheapest and most sturdy way to do it is use a flat sole shoe and the $1 flip flops. Just get some serious glue and stack the flip flops till you reach the desired height. Guess I'll give it a try!

Actual paint tests on a spare bicep piece i messed up.

I tried out a few themes, yellow, black and a combo. I'm thinking I'll do the majority of line work in yellow of various circuitry sizes and then use black mostly to lead to the embedded yellow lights though out the costume.

Untitled by metaflibble, on Flickr

Made some platforms using the $1 flip flop method. Unstable as all get out until i wrapped it in 1/2" EVA, after that its like walking on pillows, and feels solid, all for 15 bucks or so. Now to figure out how to hide them effectively in the shin armor.

I'm basing it off of Ben Streeper Ultimate Iron Man foam conversion files by CSM-101, but I've been modifying them as I go and the chest plate and shoulders were just free form.

Got both thighs done and have 1 shin piece done. Integrated the platforms into the shins. Just 1 more shin to go, hopefully I'll get that done today. Foam is slowly becoming my enemy.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back