Lawgiver build (morganthirteen/joatrash kit)

tobor

My morganthirteen / joatrash lawgiver kit arrived last week. As you can see, the main body was painted red for UK customs. It got through with no problems; I didn’t have to pay any duty or fees.
The casting is really nice, there is hardly any clean up required. I could have just made this straight from the box. With a nice paint job, it would make a great prop. But I’ve decided to do a few modifications.

dlawgiver01.jpg

I cut away the Glock part of the kit, and got a CYMA P.817 airsoft gun (only £14) to replace it. This was so I could have a removable magazine and spring loaded trigger. It also meant I could get access to the rear of the display to back light it.

dlawgiver02.jpg

I cut out the display area and inserted a piece of clear acrylic. I fixed in place five warm white LED’s. The self-adhesive graphics that come with the kit are nice, but they don’t let light through. So I’m looking for some graphics that can be backlit (preferably self-adhesive ones).

dlawgiver03.jpg

I got a Guarder frame for a Tokyo Marui Glock 17/18. It’s definitely better quality than the CYMA, and has all the correct Glock markings. I was going to use it on this build, but as I have another lawgiver kit on order, I think I’ll save it for that.

dlawgiver04.jpg

I’ve cut the frame to fit the main body.

dlawgiver05.jpg

The front magazine will be held on with strong magnets, and will contain a battery pack for the LED’s. The only other mod I will do, is to get some inert rounds for the front magazine, instead if the cast resin ones.

dlawgiver06.jpg

dlawgiver07.jpg

dlawgiver08.jpg

Last edited:
It's really interesting to follow your progress like this. It means noobs like me can learn the tricks without buggering up expensive kits.

Thanks for taking the time to document your progress.

This is so awesome. It's exactly what I wanted to do with this kit.

Did you get the solid kit or the rotocast version???

I looked but could not tell.

The server that hosts my web pages and pictures had some problems, but it looks like it’s alright now.

jameth1971, it’s the rotocast version. I think you could make these mods on the solid version, but it would be a lot more work.

I’ve made some more progress.

I made a new barrel out of aluminium tube. I know it’s going to be painted black, but it’s going to be easy to weather, and I think will look better.

I got twelve inert rounds and stuck them to a piece of black plastic. Three of the rounds came with copper heads instead of brass. I painted three more bronze, to make it look like different type of ammo in the magazine.

dlawgiver09.jpg

I epoxied a steel l-shaped bracket inside the magazine. I then stuck some black plastic sheet below the bracket, so as the bullets would butt up against it and sit straight.
Four strong magnets were fixed in the main body to hold the magazine in place.

dlawgiver10.jpg

I forgot about the LED’s for the DNA check when I was fitting the backlight. It is too awkward now to put in working ones, so I’m just fitting some LED’s that won’t be connected to anything. They won’t be sticking out so much as they are in the picture, but will almost be flush with the surface.
I also drilled out the top slots of the gun.

dlawgiver11.jpg

I used the firing mechanism from the CYMA pistol so the trigger could be spring loaded. I had to cut way a lot of it so it would fit inside the main body.

dlawgiver12.jpg

dlawgiver13.jpg

I’ve just got a few little bits to do, and then I can glue the CYMA frame to the main body and paint the whole thing.

dlawgiver14.jpg

dlawgiver15.jpg

dlawgiver16.jpg

I’ve attached the CYMA frame to the main body.
I fixed eight location pins in the frame. These were cut from paper clips and glued in place with thin super glue. I carefully applied slow setting epoxy to the frame, making sure not to put too much in areas that could foul the trigger mechanism. I then applied thick super glue to all eight pins and pushed the frame in place. After holding it in place for a few minute, the super glue set and the frame was securely held in place. Excess epoxy was then cleaned off. The thick super glue doesn’t set as quick as the thin stuff, and gives you a little more time to work with.

dlawgiver17.jpg

I’ve primed the main body. I’ve decided not to paint the trigger or rear magazine, but leave the black plastic finish.

dlawgiver18.jpg

I’ve printed a graphic on gloss self-adhesive printer paper.

I tried printing on clear self-adhesive sheet, but it came out smeared. I think the gloss paper lets enough light through.

dlawgiver19.jpg

dlawgiver20.jpg

dlawgiver21.jpg

In the picture below, the paper still has its backing sheet on, so it will eventually let more light through. When I mask the clear window for final painting, I will come in about 1mm from the edges, so you won’t see a bright edge surrounding the graphic.

dlawgiver22.jpg

I modified the rear magazine to hold some 9mm inert rounds. You can only get two full rounds in the magazine because of a metal weight CYMA put in there to make their pistol heavier. You can however cut the heads off some bullets and put them in to make the magazine look full.

dlawgiver23.jpg

dlawgiver24.jpg

(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup

Incredible.

Now I really can't wait for mine.

Incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve painted the lawgiver. I started with a coat of silver (Simoniz Wheel Silver). I did some tests with black paint on top of this. With some thinners on a cotton bud, I gently rubbed some edges to remove the top coat showing the silver below. I know I could probably get the same effect by using silver paint on top of the black. But any natural weathering by just handling the gun would show silver rather than primer.

dlawgiver25.jpg

I gave the gun a coat of satin black. This showed the slightest imperfections in the surface. With 1200 grade wet and dry, I gave some areas a light rubbing down. I then gave it a final coat of satin.

dlawgiver26.jpg

I masked off some areas and sprayed them matt black. I also painted the serial number plate and front magazine matt black.

dlawgiver27.jpg

I glued the barrel, ID plate and LED’s in place and the lawgiver was basically finished. You may notice I haven’t weathered it yet. I have another kit on its way, and I will definitely weather one of them. But I also want one in pristine condition, so I’m leaving this as it is for the moment.

dlawgiver28.jpg

dlawgiver29.jpg

dlawgiver30.jpg

dlawgiver31.jpg

dlawgiver32.jpg

dlawgiver33.jpg

The display turned out ok, but I should have used ordinary white LED’s and not warm white, I think it would have looked better with a bluer light. I don’t think the backlighting was totally successful, next time I am going to try side lighting a laser engraved acrylic display.

dlawgiver34.jpg

Last edited:
I got my second Joatrash/Morgan13 lawgiver. The shocking pink is for UK customs. Note the hole in the back. This is where the foam is normally put in. This kit doesn’t have any foam and is a hollow rotocast version.

dlawgiver35.jpg

I’ve put some inert rounds in the front magazine again. You can see a nice cross section of the top bullets were I had to file them down to fit.

dlawgiver36.jpg

I’ve fitted the CYMA frame. This time I’ve decided not to backlight the display, I think the printed display looks fine. The two front screws were drilled out and replaced with steel ones.

dlawgiver37.jpg

I got a Pinski lawgiver kit. I thought it would be an interesting project to make this version as well.
The kit is a very nice clean cast. The main body is solid resin. I’m going to give it the same treatment as the Joatrash/Morgan13 kit.

dlawgiver38.jpg

dlawgiver39.jpg

dlawgiver40.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back