JDarko's JUDGE DREDD HELMET CONTEST ENTRY

JDarko

Hi, here is my entry. Having been an avid fan of 2000AD, I decided to have a bash at a well known character's helmet, Mean Machine from the Angel family. I decided that I wanted it displayed, as if displaying a crime exhibit in the great halls of Justice, and had originally planned a plaque showing when are where MM was taken down, on a remnant of just another perp brought to justice by a judge. (However, a dead printer put paid to that) I also thought about Mama's trophy wall in her apartment in Dredd 3D and thought a torn off mean machine helmet would have looked awesome!
I have spent the last 2 weeks collecting greeblies and things of interest to put the helmet together and here is a brief run down of how I put it together....

1365815869643_zps29ec13ca.jpg

Last edited:

I started by adding oil based clay over a manequin head. Once happy with the overall shape I added 8-10 layers of papier mache. Once dry I removed it from the head, bondo'd the inside and then used a filler to cover the overall shape...

Last edited:

I used a disposeable medicine spoon for the eye lens, which I painted with red glass paint. I used a tin foil card tube which I cut up into rings for the spine, which I then added to an empty food can. The dial was made from a coffee jar lid with part of the tin foil tube attached to the inside with hotglue...

i used a wheel from an old vaccuum cleaner for the stand base, the cyclone part of the vacuum was cut in half to make the shoulder plates, to imply that with the removal of the helmet, it's also torn away the pistons and plates away from his skeleton. The hose from the vacuum was used to detail the spine, as well as pieces of posterboard. The pistons were made from marker pens and biro pens glued together....

I attached the eye and then began assembling the helmet together, using spare bolts I found under the sink, they were a godsend, cut the numbers on his dial out of card....

The shoulders were mounted to the neck pistons, which in turn join the back of the helmet, the entire silver paintjob was washed down in a black wash and then that was followed by a deep red glass paint creating the blood effect...

The ear was a deoderant lid with the top cut out, leaving only a lip, the grill was again from the vacuum cleaner...

I attached spare cable to the bottom of the spine cut off from the plug. Think that covers everything, but if there are any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks for looking!

Johnny

Due to issues uploading to the gallery I have posted this picture for you as requested in PM. I'll see if I can get a moderator to change it so that your username shows as the one who posted.

This entry is complete. :thumbsup

Thanks to the artist formerly known as orange blend for helping me to get the gallery pic up at 5am this morning, 20 minutes after I completed the build! I really was a bit braindead,lol.
And thanks BlindSquirrel!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back