Hirogen Borg - Star Trek Voyager

Roughest

The Hirogen Borg concept took over a year to build and was inspired by an action figure that showed a really bad looking Borg.

The entire build took 5 gallons of liquid latex, 1200 lbs of concrete molds, a full body duct tape job, and 1300 hours of work.

I did every jot and tittle of this build myself from sculpting, molding, casting, joining, painting, fabricating, and wiring the electronics.

I took second place at the Las Vegas Star Trek Convention in 2012

This build includes an actual working net gun that propelled an 8 ft net 30 ft with an integrated pneumatic system into the bio mechanical arm which weighed 18 lbs. The left arm has actual working pneumatic rams that drive assimilation tubes using a modified smart parts ion paintball gun board. Both units are driven by 2500 PSI regulated down to 80 on the assimilation gauntlet and 250 PSI on the net gun.

A complete overview can be found on Zaniac.com for sculpt mold and build shots and descriptions.

Thanks Turbo! I really wanted to attempt a challenge that I wasn't sure I could pull off. Along with the "Uh huh... sure you are." comments I had a bunch of people who kept me accountable through messages and comments on Zaniac.com posts and facebook. My suggestion to anyone who wants to go for it and doesn't think they can... You can! Feel free to ask any questions or submit suggestions to this project. I am working on a DS9 Morn costume complete with mobile bar at the moment. I will submit an update when I have more!

OMG! This is absolutely remarkable! This costume is unparalleled in both its accuracy and its beauty. I’m almost speechless (and that’s saying something).
Man, each time I see someone on this board create something that practically outdoes the original, it just makes my jaw drop and it’s hard to believe there is so much talent out there.

I can only imagine what it must be like getting in and out of that gear. What is involved in doing that? How long of a time can you wear all of that before it gets to be too much?

Congrats on accomplishing such a fine piece!

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

This is an amazing build - always was a fan of the Hirogen - interesting species. The WWII throwback episode with the Nazi Hirogen's stands among my top 10 favorite Trek episodes - and Im not even that big of a Voyager fan.

Thanks Potion M! Oh yeah getting into it is not an easy task. It takes about 40 minutes to get in the suit itself. The mask is easy as it is a 1 piece latex slush cast on a lifecast of my face so it fits pretty good. (I am starting to work with Silicone fit masks now and may be offering a line of Trek inspired full head and half head masks and prosthetic pieces...) Every time I wear the suit I lose at least 5lbs. This type of suit is not for those squeamish regarding massive amounts of sweat... The longest I wore it was 10 hours straight. This was for the Saturday of the costume contest. By the time I was able to get out I was seeing my ancestors lol. It is most comfortable to get out around 4 hours. I hope this answers your question! You are only limited to your imagination and dogged determination!

One of the tips that I have for those out there doing molds and who are not happy with plaster is concrete. Yes concrete. I found that Type I Portland White cement worked great as a substitute for plaster and was nearly as good as Ultracal 30. My local area didn't have a source for Ultracal and shipping it in was not cost effective so I started doing some research into the chemical composition of Ultracal and trying to find a near match. The cement is lacking silica. I mixed my molds at a 1:1 ratio water to cement. I did almost all the casting using salvaged boards, cutting mats, duct tape and other blocks of cement molds when I had created them later in the project for support of sidewalls. The cement is however highly exothermic and will steam like crazy if you are casting over a gallon of mixed material.

Lol the Dresser! We had a chest of drawers that was on its last legs but still made out of solid flat wood that straight so I thought "What the heck!" and re purposed it. I have used it for several different casting jobs and still have the boards ready to go for the next mold. The other thing I love to use is dollar tree cutting mats. They are super thin mylar type plastic that you can cut into any shape you need to bifurcate your piece if don't want to mess with water based clay as a wall. It keeps you from building in "keys" but for a quick and dirty solution to cast a piece it will work as log as you line up all your edges and they don't shift when casting your finished piece in the mold.

OMFG! If you came 2nd in the contest, what the bejeebies came first?

This is a stunning build - congratulations.

There was a couple who built cardboard minecraft characters of Hunter and Tosk from DS9. Due to the outcry of the judging the 2013 Las Vegas Star Trek Convention will have Michael Westmore as the lead judge for the costume contest. I am looking forward to having my work judged by Mr. Star Trek FX himself!

It been bad judging a few times. Eric has great costumes, but to win the his borg one the amount of times he has is just wrong. Little planning and detail from creation. Not a fan of that company at the moment.

And the mine craft characters were basically a copy of lego officer from 2011. He should have placed alot higher. And 2011, Louie with his "homemade" vulcan costume, bull****, he told many people he paid alot of money to have that professionally made.

And the mine craft characters were basically a copy of lego officer from 2011. He should have placed alot higher. And 2011, Louie with his "homemade" vulcan costume, bull****, he told many people he paid alot of money to have that professionally made.

There are quite a few people who pass off others work as their own... Personally it's not about winning but raising the bar by pushing the envelope of what can be accomplished. The level of execution on the costumes overall through the last 3 years has been great! It's awesome to see new and experienced costumers take the plunge or commit themselves to elevating their art. I am completely psyched that Michael Westmore will be the judge at next years LV Con! By adding Mr. Westmore, Creationent is showing that they are listening to their customers.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back