Doctor Who Cyberman & Sontaran Build - Pepakura based

Scouser

Just wanted to show my first 2 builds of any kind in many years. I used Movieman's pepakura files as my guide. Some additional pieces added once files were built, some future alterations are starting next week to prep for next convention.

Over the last year I have learned a lot about how to work with pepakura and the method I decided to use for hardening. By the end, I decided to use a coating of Smooth-on 320 liquid plastic on top of the bondo to give a much better look and use less bondo which was a blessing since I have never worked with bondo at all before this.

I also now fully understand why it is not a good idea to go with big projects like this as your first build. Was my 2nd build, and I was no where close to being ready for it since my first was a very simple to build halo helmet. But at least now I feel good about the process.

I don't have my earliest images for the parts I built, but I did find some of these.

*****Build images removed. Sorry.******

Last edited:
Thank you very much! I was really hoping to walk around and interact but guess that will have to wait for next year.

I know it's been several months, but I was wondering about how tall your g/f is and other measurements of hers because I wanted to copy you and want some info for sizing it for myself. Also, how expensive/time consuming was it for you? And what did you make the chestplate and black suit out of?

She is 5'3 and a little above average size. The costume really was not too bad expense wise. The helmet and chest were pepakura and hardened with liquid plastic and a few layers of bondo to smooth it all out and strengthen it some. To cheapen that expense some you could of course just go the bondo route since liquid plastic is not very cheap but I use it for many things and was trying to build this in winter, so had to have something I could use indoors when I first started it.

The chest and back are actually foam and done in a HUGE hurry. Would have looked a ton better with a bit more time and actually having her there with me to test fit on. I hope to redo chest and back in a full suit in the future, but for now it is on a back burner until we can make a proper Sontaran mask and finish some other projects. Hope that helps!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back