Tony Stark / Robert Downey Jr. 1:1 scale bust

VashDstampede

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi gang!
Here is a bust I was commissioned to sculpt quite some time ago. I promised the original commissioner that I wouldn't post until he received it, so now that he has, I can finally show how this all began.
It was originally supposed to be a mask of RDJr. as shown in the behind the scenes tour of Stan Winston Studios, but we felt a bust would be more dynamic.

I started with a bald sculpt of Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark after countless hours of scrounging the net for pictures at every angle with and without facial hair. I must have hundreds of photos saved in my computer.
I wanted to do a bald version first so that I would have the correct reference to where the hair would flow once I started that part of the sculpt.

Here's the bald sculpt:
SCULPT9.jpg
SCULPT9c.jpg
SCULPT9a.jpg

I made a quick mold of that and made a few castings and was originally going to sculpt on one of them.
However, the sculpt survived the molding process, so I just used the original clay sculpt for the "haired" version.

There were details on the bald version that I reworked and after having to sculpt the detailed mane that Tony Stark has (which almost made me swear off sculpting hair forever!:angry) here is the finished product:
SCULPTFINAL.jpg
SCULPTFINALBACK.jpg

I hope you guys enjoy this as much as I had fun sculpting it.

Thanks,
Ely

That totally looks like Val Kilmer. haha. JK! That's absolutely amazing Ely. As a rookie here I am totally blown away by the crafstmanship shown by everyone. Epic, dude. I'd be incredibly proud of that sculpt too.

MGF

Thanks so much guys! I really am blown away by your comments, especially of those who I feel are AMAZING artists!

I rarely paint, but here is the build up of a translucent resin bust I made using the bald version which you've probably seen in my signature:
painted0.jpg
painted3.jpg

painted7a.jpg
painted7b.jpg

Thanks so much everyone!
With each sculpt I learn something new and I try to challenge myself with every project.
It's been a pleasure dealing with such awesome customers that trust in me enough for their commissions.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back