data-ad-slot="9190093430">
Subscribe
  1. Oklahoma Kid Designs RPF Premium Member Dericrw's Avatar
    From
    Moore, Oklahoma
    Oct 29, 2012, 4:20 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **WAIT NO MORE** #451

Welmanshire said: View Post
    That is awesome man! It is good to see people appreciating your work!
    Thanks bud!

muttmo said: View Post
    I know you did not build this costume for entering contests But the money does help.. congrads..
    Thanks! I just enjoy sharing the costume, so many grew up watching the turtles.

zanderman said: View Post
    Sweeet. Should have made some moves on Carmen Electra.
    HAHAA my wife had me on a short leash, but admits she's a hot fox!

Neighbor sent me this photo and its one of my favorites!

Other pics from the event

Last edited by Dericrw; Oct 29, 2012 at 4:48 PM.
  2. data-ad-slot="2990628231">
    data-ad-slot="5944094636">
    From
    North Texas
    Oct 29, 2012, 10:53 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **WAIT NO MORE** #452

This costume looks better now than it did in the first pictures; Great stuff!
    How is the mobility in the full costume?
    From
    Sweden
    Oct 30, 2012, 1:24 AM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **WAIT NO MORE** #453

Wow! That's so awesome and it's looking really great! Good job!
  5. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    From
    Melbourne, FL
    Oct 30, 2012, 3:56 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **WAIT NO MORE** #454

This thing looks better in every picture update.

Great job, man. Easily the best Turtle costume out there.
  6. Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Oct 30, 2012, 4:54 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **WAIT NO MORE** #455

That is so cool.
    From
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2012, 9:52 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **WAIT NO MORE** #456

I just found these in an old Jim Henson book I have.

These are the movie accurate measurements for the eyes of the turtles.

This pictuer might help you with your future sculpts. It is of the creature shop during the production of The secret of the ooze. If you look at the work desk in the middle down the bottom of the picture you can see how they originally sculpted the masks.

As I say, I hope this helps your future sculpts of the Turtles.
    From
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Oct 30, 2012, 11:30 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **WAIT NO MORE** #457

Very cool
    Nov 3, 2012, 4:39 AM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **WAIT NO MORE** #458

Wow, amazing build!
  10. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    From
    Orange Park, FL
    Nov 4, 2012, 9:16 AM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **WAIT NO MORE** #459

That Mikey costume turned out amazing man good job...congrats...
    J
  11. Oklahoma Kid Designs RPF Premium Member Dericrw's Avatar
    From
    Moore, Oklahoma
    Nov 5, 2012, 1:27 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **Mikey** #460

Alpha Proto said: View Post
    This costume looks better now than it did in the first pictures; Great stuff!
    How is the mobility in the full costume?
    Thanks AP! Getting the harnessing tweaked out really helped the final look! Mobility is great! Took it for a light jog and it held up perfectly. Visibility is okay and the fit is good. The only complaint is how hot it gets. With the head off its not bad. But 4 hours fully suited up like to kill me! But was worth it completely!

chanfan said: View Post
    Wow! That's so awesome and it's looking really great! Good job!
    Thanks bud! Keep up the good work on your end.

TVsRobLowe said: View Post
    This thing looks better in every picture update.

Great job, man. Easily the best Turtle costume out there.
    Thanks KRANG! Your work is awesome!

Murded said: View Post
    That is so cool.
    Thanks

Welmanshire said: View Post
    I just found these in an old Jim Henson book I have.

These are the movie accurate measurements for the eyes of the turtles.

This pictuer might help you with your future sculpts. It is of the creature shop during the production of The secret of the ooze. If you look at the work desk in the middle down the bottom of the picture you can see how they originally sculpted the masks.

As I say, I hope this helps your future sculpts of the Turtles.
    Thanks for the pictures! I used the eye image for mine but forgot to go with the off white. I'm hoping to start on things soon!

Boneheadideas said: View Post
    Very cool
    Thanks Boneheadideas!

An Astronaut said: View Post
    Wow, amazing build!
    Thanks Astronaut!

jhagga2006 said: View Post
    That Mikey costume turned out amazing man good job...congrats...
    J
    Thank you Jhagga!

Well Halloween's over and I had a blast as Mikey! The kid's that saw it loved it, and so did the adults. It was funny hearing people try to guess which turtle it was.

Another highlight for me was having the costume featured on TheChive!
    Guy builds amazing TMNT costume : theCHIVE
    Thanks Bob! and CHIVE ON!

Now to build the other 3 turtles! Hopefully I can start making some progress this week.
    From
    Canada
    Nov 5, 2012, 1:50 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **WAIT NO MORE** #461

Easily the best TMNT replica costume out there.

Steller paintwork!
  13. Oklahoma Kid Designs RPF Premium Member Dericrw's Avatar
    From
    Moore, Oklahoma
    Nov 8, 2012, 10:00 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **WAIT NO MORE** #462

Monteburns said: View Post
    Easily the best TMNT replica costume out there.

Steller paintwork!

Thanks Monteburns!

The paintwork credit goes to Jacob. He did a fantastic job

RAPHAEL UPDATE

Been reworking the sculpt and its getting closer.

Bring on the CRITIQUES!
    From
    North Texas
    Nov 8, 2012, 10:24 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **Raphael** #463

I think you are on the right track. The jaw line looks much better.

The one things I see still is what Rambo's mom said, " the eyebrows are too arched, try sculpting them in almost a straight line."

I really think that would make a good default face for him.
    When you get to detailing don't forget the scar on his face.
    From
    harfton gulch
    Nov 10, 2012, 1:49 AM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **Raphael** #464

hey there! the michelangelo suit turned out really great. it's easily the best turtles costume out there and the raph sculpt is coming along nicely. i've got a few suggestions, if you want some additional feedback. i did a very rough photoshop edit of your sculpt.

- add more material to the eyebrows (mostly top but also bottom). i don't think you need to show the entire eye for raph.
    - slightly reduce the length of the mouth.
    - move the mouth up (this will give him a bigger chin/jaw without having to add more clay down there).
    - the top of the head should be a little more symmetrical (i added a little material to the right side of his dome).
    - reduce the size of the eyes by 5-10% (if you can do this i think it will help, if you were planning to use the same eyes mikey has maybe push them a little farther back into raph's head?)
    - change the slant of the eyelids (mostly the left eye) for better symmetry.

all the little tweaks and adjustments are what can make or break a great likeness. these details will help this costume stand out from your previous one. hopefully it helps you capture their distinct personalities and stuff.

i hope this helps, i love seeing the progress photos. keep up the good work!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails file-135b.jpg  
  16. Oklahoma Kid Designs RPF Premium Member Dericrw's Avatar
    From
    Moore, Oklahoma
    Nov 12, 2012, 8:10 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **Raphael** #465

I think you are on the right track. The jaw line looks much better.

The one things I see still is what Rambo's mom said, " the eyebrows are too arched, try sculpting them in almost a straight line."

I really think that would make a good default face for him.
    When you get to detailing don't forget the scar on his face.
    rambos mom said: View Post
    hey there! the michelangelo suit turned out really great. it's easily the best turtles costume out there and the raph sculpt is coming along nicely. i've got a few suggestions, if you want some additional feedback. i did a very rough photoshop edit of your sculpt.

- add more material to the eyebrows (mostly top but also bottom). i don't think you need to show the entire eye for raph.
    - slightly reduce the length of the mouth.
    - move the mouth up (this will give him a bigger chin/jaw without having to add more clay down there).
    - the top of the head should be a little more symmetrical (i added a little material to the right side of his dome).
    - reduce the size of the eyes by 5-10% (if you can do this i think it will help, if you were planning to use the same eyes mikey has maybe push them a little farther back into raph's head?)
    - change the slant of the eyelids (mostly the left eye) for better symmetry.

all the little tweaks and adjustments are what can make or break a great likeness. these details will help this costume stand out from your previous one. hopefully it helps you capture their distinct personalities and stuff.

i hope this helps, i love seeing the progress photos. keep up the good work!

I appreciate both of your input very much! I just hope I can get these changes to portray the personality of Raph.

Here's the changes that were suggested if it needs to be more dramatic or less, please let me know.

The texture will help tremendously! The scar will not be forgotten

THANKS!
  17. Oklahoma Kid Designs RPF Premium Member Dericrw's Avatar
    From
    Moore, Oklahoma
    Nov 14, 2012, 4:34 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **Raphael** #466

No critiques yet....
    Here's some other shots I had taken, probably will texture soon if nothing needs changed.

18. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    From
    Dallas, TX
    Nov 14, 2012, 5:36 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **Raphael** #467

dont forget the scar, look good though!
    From
    North Texas
    Nov 14, 2012, 6:53 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **Raphael** #468

I like how the face is looking. I wasn't sure what to say until I saw it from a higher angle.
    I really wanted to see how the new brow effected the eyes when light hit it. I was hoping that it would put a bit of a shadow over his eye and it did.
    I like that the eye lids are more visible than your Michelangelo's. It makes it look more real.
    Maybe you could bring his upper eye lid down a tad too?
    This is looking very nice.
  20. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    From
    Orange Park, FL
    Nov 15, 2012, 1:25 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **Raphael** #469

Fantastic job man...
    From
    Sweden
    Nov 15, 2012, 3:49 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **Raphael** #470

It's clear that you have improved your sculpting skills a great deal since this project started! It looks stunning! Just like the real deal!
    From
    harfton gulch
    Nov 15, 2012, 8:11 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **Raphael** #471

it's looking good from the 3/4 view. you can definitely tell it's raph. the only critique i still have is to work on the top of the head. there seems to be a hard edge on the back of the head just above the bandana. maybe try smoothing it out a little. also looking at the front view the left side of the head has more clay than the right side. you should try and even it out.

have you looked at your sculpture in a mirror? it's a great way to find asymmetry problems.

good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails afile-139.jpg   afile-141.jpg  
  23. Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Nov 15, 2012, 11:07 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **Raphael** #472

i ordered a suit from custompropsculptor 2 yrs ago and havent gotten mine.......yours is WAYYY better!!!!! i live 20 mins from dallas and would love to see this in person!!!!
    From
    North Texas
    Nov 15, 2012, 11:23 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **Raphael** #473

trojanman22 said: View Post
    i ordered a suit from custompropsculptor 2 yrs ago and havent gotten mine.......yours is WAYYY better!!!!! i live 20 mins from dallas and would love to see this in person!!!!
    Wow, that is a major bummer! I am sorry to hear that. I have lost money in the prop buying game too, so I get where you are coming from.

These guys put the most effort I have ever seen into making that Michelangelo. They fact they used silicon instead of foam latex for the body should tell you that these builds are a labor of love.

I am 40 mins from Dallas. So if they ever want to show up at A-kon, Animefest, All-con, or the Dallas comic con I would show up just to see the build.
  25. Oklahoma Kid Designs RPF Premium Member Dericrw's Avatar
    From
    Moore, Oklahoma
    Nov 15, 2012, 11:26 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **Raphael** #474

jacobzking said: View Post
    dont forget the scar, look good though!
    OF COARSE!

I like how the face is looking. I wasn't sure what to say until I saw it from a higher angle.
    I really wanted to see how the new brow effected the eyes when light hit it. I was hoping that it would put a bit of a shadow over his eye and it did.
    I like that the eye lids are more visible than your Michelangelo's. It makes it look more real.
    Maybe you could bring his upper eye lid down a tad too?
    This is looking very nice.
    Thanks again! I'll give the eye lids another look over!

jhagga2006 said: View Post
    Fantastic job man...
    Thanks!

chanfan said: View Post
    It's clear that you have improved your sculpting skills a great deal since this project started! It looks stunning! Just like the real deal!
    It's almost funny how practice helps! haha
    Thank you and keep up the good work on your build!

rambos mom said: View Post
    it's looking good from the 3/4 view. you can definitely tell it's raph. the only critique i still have is to work on the top of the head. there seems to be a hard edge on the back of the head just above the bandana. maybe try smoothing it out a little. also looking at the front view the left side of the head has more clay than the right side. you should try and even it out.

have you looked at your sculpture in a mirror? it's a great way to find asymmetry problems.

good luck.
    Thanks again! I will get to it. I have been using my iphone camera to check symmetry. The eyes will lie to you, when looking at it in person.

trojanman22 said: View Post
    Sorry to hear that. There is currently only 2 copies of this Mikey.... one happens to be in Frisco!
  26. Oklahoma Kid Designs RPF Premium Member Dericrw's Avatar
    From
    Moore, Oklahoma
    Nov 15, 2012, 11:30 PM - Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **Raphael** #475

Wow, that is a major bummer! I am sorry to hear that. I have lost money in the prop buying game too, so I get where you are coming from.

These guys put the most effort I have ever seen into making that Michelangelo. They fact they used silicon instead of foam latex for the body should tell you that these builds are a labor of love.

I am 40 mins from Dallas. So if they ever want to show up at A-kon, Animefest, All-con, or the Dallas comic con I would show up just to see the build.
    Maybe I need to go to a con... never been. A con near Dallas would be an easy trip. Depends on when it is, HOPEFULLY I can get all the Turtles complete by then. That's a stretch though.