TMNT Turtle Sculpt - Sync's 2014 Jun-Jul Sculpture Contest Entry

BoltFX

******COMPLETE ON 6/27 *************
FINAL:
t5.JPG

I am sculpting a custom Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle mask/head. It is loosely based on the 90s movies, but I am not copying a specific turtle or look exactly.

I am using WED Clay for the first time here. My sculpting experience is next to none. lol I have only sculpted one thing before this and it was a turtle for my son and it was in monster maker clay.

Here is the rough in stage:

2.jpg3.jpg1.jpg
As you can see, a lot more refining and work to do. More updates to come.

Last edited:
Re: Full TMNT Suit journey - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle !

A bit more. I think I am going to bring the mouth up a bit making the snout area smaller in mass. I like the side profile though.
t5.jpgt4.jpgt3.jpgt2.jpgt1.JPG

Thanks for the link chazdragon.

So I was looking at the sculpt again and felt like something was off. So I took pictures and brought them into Photoshop. I moved elements around like the mouth,etc. I finally realized the mouth needed to be higher, the dome had to wider of the head, and the neck needed to be smaller. So here is where I am now. I also worked on the bandana mask more. Getting closer and closer. Gonna sit on it tonight and look tomorrow with fresh eyes for more things. If nothing obvious I will begin smoothing and then texture.

The lighting in the front view picture makes the upper snout area still seem thick in height, but the side view shows where its really at.

turtle2.jpgturtle1.jpg

Last edited:
Next up is making the eye area and bandana wider/bigger. Right now its out of proportion for the lower half. Check this photoshop of the area bigger for an idea.new.jpg

Thanks Greeky! Learning as I go and having fun! The only issue is I walk by sometimes and see something and end up sitting and working on it. Next thing I know its an hour later and I can't remember what I was doing before that! lol

5.jpg51.jpg52.jpg
A little bit today. I am leaving for a wedding tonight and tomorrow so I won't have a chance to touch the sculpt until late Sunday.

Looking good! You wouldn't think it but the simplicity of the curves make it difficult. The slightest changes make a huge difference.

ok im going to just come out and say it....this sculpture rocks! you totally captured the movie sculpt, and I don't know how but there is some magic in this sculpt.

Thanks so much agliarept! As someone who's never really sculpted before I take it as a huge compliment!!

I've been so busy with work I haven't had a chance to post but I did finish this and will post pics once I get them off my phone! (I actually already molded this too! First pull this weekend. Wish me luck!!)

Well the sculpt is done and its now been molded! I learned a lot and can't wait to start something new. I think next I am going to tackle the NEW TMNT face. Im not a huge fan, but want to see if I can do it.

Sorry the lighting isn't great!

Attachments

• t7.JPG
    t7.JPG
    410.3 KB · Views: 294
  • t6.JPG
    t6.JPG
    422.5 KB · Views: 197
  • t3.JPG
    t3.JPG
    417.7 KB · Views: 195
  • t2.JPG
    t2.JPG
    412.5 KB · Views: 200
  • t.JPG
    t.JPG
    439.1 KB · Views: 195
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    533.4 KB · Views: 183
  • t8.JPG
    t8.JPG
    409.4 KB · Views: 216
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back