Really low odour translucent resin recommendations?

Hovito loincloth

Guys and gals, has anyone got any suggestions for a really low odour clear or translucent resin I can use for a Cthulhu idol build? My quandary is that my lovely wife is massively sensitive to any kind of fibre glass type smell which gives her blinding headaches. This means I'm pretty limited in the materials I can use for stuff near the house. As I kinda want to stay married and produce a nice prop I'd be open to recommendations. All contributions gratefully received!

please be very careful as odour is not necessarily linked to nasty fumes. Im many cases its the ones that don't smell that are more dangerous. urethanes in particular.

whatever resin you decide to use, please exercise caution and use in a well ventilated space.

I would look at some epoxy resins, the ones used for encapsulating things are quite good although are generally slow curing

Fettster... epoxies are amine based... very nasty health wise... urethanes *generally* ...the isocyanate-based ones... which is the majority of the formulations on the market, have fewer health hazards providing you have at least room sized ventilation... what does that mean? Don't use these in your close closet! That being said, there are people that can get sensitized to urethanes then in that case, a proper respirator is needed... aliphatic based urethanes are the nasties of the urethane world (usually the water clear urethanes)

please be very careful as odour is not necessarily linked to nasty fumes. Im many cases its the ones that don't smell that are more dangerous. urethanes in particular.

whatever resin you decide to use, please exercise caution and use in a well ventilated space.

I would look at some epoxy resins, the ones used for encapsulating things are quite good although are generally slow curing

Always read your MSDS.. look for the HMIS rating... polyester resins seem to differ widely... here is one I found doing a google search.. (first result I got... don't know the company just an example) http://www.revchem.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/CR3030xxx.pdf
Here is Smooth Cast 325
http://www.smooth-on.com/msds/files/Smooth-Cast_325,_326,_327.pdf
They have the same health rating of a 2 (0 being best 4 RUN AWAY!)
Your MSDS is always your friend :)

Hmmm, looks like divorce could be an option...

Hmmm, looks like the polyurethane 1:1 liquid plastic would be the way to go then. If only all these lovely products weren't so hellishly expensive in the Uk.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back