looking for advice on a silicone mold

cjones

I have a 3D printed part that I need to make foam replicas of. I used Smooth-On Rebound 25 and created a silicone mold of it. I then used a fiberglass like product (forget the name) that also paints on and solidifies.

I can't put the shell on as one piece because there's no way to remove it. Even a two piece is tough because of the inner part of the piece. I broke it up as a number of pieces but it doesn't provide enough rigidity and the foam I poured in came out a little warped, especially in the one place I didn't have the shell.

Any ideas for how I can put a shell on this? Pouring silicone into a box mold seems like a waste of silicone for this part. Can Rebound 25 even be poured?

Here is what I'd do:

-Cut an old silicone mold you no longer want in tiny fragments, mix them with thickened silicone. Use this to fill that nasty gap that prevents you from making a simple two part shell, until you get a more or less solid block (build a good wall where the opening is)

-If you don't have an old mold, try mixing the silicone with tiny fragments of something else, like cotton, bandages, foam.

This will save you some silicone

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back