I'm creating a full head latex appliance and need some help!!

Cmc53

Hello, Ok so I am trying to create a costume for a friend. I was planning on doing a foam latex prosthetic for his entire head. (2 pieces) face/neck & back of the head/top of the head. But I am not sure if I wil be able to do so, or how to do it properly. I was hoping I could get some expert advice. Here is what I have done so far...

So far I think I have taken all of the correct measures.

-I made a silicone life cast of my friends head.
-made two plaster replicas of my friends head using ultracal 30.
-I sculpted the face and neck on one of the head casts.
-now I plan on sculpting the back of the head and top of the head. (cowl)

Once the cowl sculpt is done I was planning on making a mould of the face and neck. And making another mould of the back and top of the head, so I can make 2 foam latex appliances.

Will I be able to do so, and do any of you guys have a tutorial link on how to make such large appliances?

If you know what you are doing please help me out. I've never done this before. Thanks!

Maybe no answers because you're on the right track and doing it right ... I usually finish one before the other (doesnt matter which) just to check size and make sure to oversculpt a little around the edges, foam will slightly shrink ...thanks goodness its stretchy ... If it was me Id split it at the bridge of the nose and sides of the eyes and make a third forehead piece, but you got it keep going :)

Maybe no answers because you're on the right track and doing it right ... I usually finish one before the other (doesnt matter which) just to check size and make sure to oversculpt a little around the edges, foam will slightly shrink ...thanks goodness its stretchy ... If it was me Id split it at the bridge of the nose and sides of the eyes and make a third forehead piece, but you got it keep going :)
Thank you Rob! Great to hear. My biggest concern was because I wasn't sure if I would have problems with the rear/top of the head appliance because it is so large. But I feel much better about it now. Thanks!

Question, the third forehead piece would be done only to make the movement on the model better correct? If that is the only reason to make a 3rd sculpt, I'm probably not going to do it because I am lazy. lol.. And I'm just having my friend put it on and I'm going to take a bunch of pics, just to build my portfolio.

When you say "over sculpt" how far would you recommend me sculpting the cowl, past the forehead?

As far as oversculpting is concerned, even half an inch should be fine. The latex will shrink a bit, so you don't want to find yourself stretching it to fit, and having it rip. This is why sculptors have the various facial pieces cast to sculpt on, instead of sculpting on one complete head alone. I can't seem to find pics online, but your best bet is to check out the pics of Dick Smith casting Dustin Hoffman for the make-up he did on him in Little Big Man-check the book "Stage Make-up" by Richard Corson.

Thank you Rob! Great to hear. My biggest concern was because I wasn't sure if I would have problems with the rear/top of the head appliance because it is so large. But I feel much better about it now. Thanks!

Question, the third forehead piece would be done only to make the movement on the model better correct? If that is the only reason to make a 3rd sculpt, I'm probably not going to do it because I am lazy. lol.. And I'm just having my friend put it on and I'm going to take a bunch of pics, just to build my portfolio.

When you say "over sculpt" how far would you recommend me sculpting the cowl, past the forehead?

something else you could do is sculpt little "blenders" Michael Westmore uses them quite a bit I know he was quick to recommend we do them on Face OFF

This is a great DVD that goes through step by step with what you want to do. Mark Alfrey - Prosthetic Makeup for Beginners DVD
check it out it helped me a lot!

Just to echo all of the advice above - on one large piece that goes over the entire face and down over the chin, beware of creating almost "unbreakable" surface tension and overlap/undercuts on your model head and sculpt with a mold that locks the head and mold together. Don't have your mold go down too far on the neck for the same reason; just make sure there will be enough "give" when you pry it apart. When you remove the solidified mold I would recommend you remove it starting at the top. It is inevitable that you will need to break it free by prying the edges apart with a chisel or screwdriver; a few gentle whacks with a padded hammerhead if it's stubborn. Make sure the Ultracal is thoroughly dry (2-3 days if you have that luxury of time) before trying to do a foam pour. Check out some of makeup artists at work on the "Face Off" TV show. I did a couple of full heads and you have the right approach. I recommend having the front face piece to overlap the back in the final assembly. (Dick Smith's MUEFX course graduate here)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back