Helm of Yngol clay sculpt, finished, pics last page

kwalsh0000

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all,

Im back with another Skyrim helmet (im addicted!) after my Ancient Nord and Iron Helmet.

I am slowly getting faster at them and have a few hours in this. Apart from the horn base (which has a small PVC pipe to get a general circle) its all freehand like the others.

The detail work was done quickly the other night but I am thinking its a bit too thick so will re do it thinner but heres where I am at (all criticism welcomed)

Last edited:
Re: Helm of Yngol clay sculpt

Awesome work. I do have a question though. As a sculpture noob, what is the point of raking?

Cheers man. I have made some significant changes to the shapes and begun texturing (no photos yet though).

I am still a noob myself but from my experience the raking allows me to quickly shape larger chunks of clay down to a more refined piece evenly aswell as being a great tool to even out areas (such as domes, flat surfaces etc) as when raking it quickly shows you where the pits and uneven areas are. Plus an added benefit of the raking would be the shadows the rake lines cast which allow you to see the shape and curves easier than a smooth surface.

Cheers Johnny! Means alot coming from someone with your quality of work.

Here is where I am at the moment (getting a couple of hours in each week when the the lil guy is asleep), still not happy with the hammered texture but will keep re doing it until I get it right. Its harder to get a nice hammered texture in clay than i realized. With Aves Apoxy you can dent then sand and it creates that nice separating ridge, same for bondo etc but when you dent the clay, the excess clay has to go somewhere and raking can be too heavy but sure its a learning curve

Nice, I like your work. In the future I would like them too. I would also like the antique swords or with unusual shapes.:thumbsup

Thanks lads!

I re did the hammered texture (no pics yet) and made a start on horns.

I was torn between smooth, rings on the horn (like in game), recessed detail like volpins or over lapping ridges so i decided to test a mix.

Hard to see (crap pic at 3am :p) but the top inner half is fairly smooth and goes into a more subtle ring version which descends into over lapping ridges towards the base.

Thoughts?

Made some more progress. I am still refining the hammered look but working on horns too.

Ive done two different types of horns (The left horn will fit the right and once i cut the base shorter and at a diff angle it will seem like a diff horn) so I can pick and chose :p

Opinions, are the horns too chunky? Starting to think they are?

Two different horns
Layered with rough texture WIP

Ridged more like an antelope, roughly blocked out
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx115/kwalsh000
/5_zps9dcf6c5f.jpg

Prepped for molding (hence why its covered in beads of water), then cast one piece and finish horns

Test cast with some real horns, while nice they are too thin

Sculpted horns ready for molding, i will be using these with the helmet

Re: Helm of Yngol clay sculpt, test cast out

Test casts. Due to a improper measurements on my part the base of the horns are too big so they will be trimmed and remolded but it allows me to create a mechanism to attach the horns as they are flimsy at the moment and not cut at the right angles.

Thoughts? Too big or tall?

V1

V2

Based on the screen shots you put above, theyre 1/3 taller than they should be. The horns are the same hieght as the helmet and are as thick as the horizontal spaces of the eyes. Sorry to say it but you may have to re mold them. Other than that it looks awesome, love the hammered look. What clay do you use?

Cheers man :) Honest opinions are what I like.

They def are a bit too tall. I will be trimming one down shortly and doing test fits and once I get the right height it shall be remolding time. (the second pair, the really curvy ones def need to be cut down alot)

Thanks for the compliments aswell. It was done in Chavant Medium and I have to say that hammered texture was a pain :p I never done anything like it so went through about a dozen variations such as having the clay wet, dipping the tools in white spirits, carving the dents out, actually hammering them when the clay is hard then light sanding etc. but it was a nice learning experience.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back